• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/4 GDT : Blackhawks 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

I just find it sad that minus 2 of our better players (Datsyuk and Nick), that with all the experience we have on this team...everybody else seems like they don't have the first clue on what to do without them...I mean...really?? Are they that incapable of doing things themselves and stepping up their play? It's bad enough that nobody other than Pavel can bring the puck into the zone on a power play to get things set up.

All the mistakes we saw today are prime examples on why Ken Holland needed to do something to improve this team before the deadline..and in a rare event...he failed us in doing so.

I don't know what game you watched. The Wings outplayed the Hawks. They hit 4 cross-bars and had two misses on wide open nets. And yes, one was by Mule. Any one of these goes in and it's a different game. No puck luck today. Sometimes it happens. I'm ok with the effort.

I don't know what game you watched. The Wings outplayed the Hawks. They hit 4 cross-bars and had two misses on wide open nets. And yes, one was by Mule. Any one of these goes in and it's a different game. No puck luck today. Sometimes it happens. I'm ok with the effort.

agree.

esteef

Guest Crymson

It's funny if the Wings were up 2-1 late we know the Hawks would tie it late but when the switch is flipped our guys can't score! Now you all know why I am so hard on this team b/c they just let me down!

When the Wings are shut down by a hot goaltender despite outplaying the opponent, it's unacceptable to you. When the Wings` hot goaltender shuts down the other team despite the Wings having been outplayed, it's not good enough for you. Please spare us the false pretense that your expectations of the Wings are reasonable.

I really didn't think the Red Wings played poorly at all considering the circumstances. Not easy to beat a desperate team with your best player at forward, defense and in goal missing. Frustrating loss regardless because I hate the Blackhawks and the points at stake are so crucial. In saying that, I thought the Red Wings carried most of the play and were the better team. Once again, an inept powerplay cost them a win.

Like many others here have stated, I frickin love Brendan Smith. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He looks so composed and comfortable and he's been much stronger defensively than I anticipated so far. Smith's ability to move the puck is flawless. His passes are crisp and usually right on the mark. I'm by no means an Ericsson hater, but I'm starting to believe there's no reason not to let Smith continue for the playoffs. With the Quincey addition, it makes Ericsson's role even less significant. It goes against Holland's typical philosophy and I'm not expecting Ericsson to gets benched, but man I am beyond impressed with Smith.

I will also echo the comments about having too many passengers at forward. Every time I see Hossa it makes me even more depressed to watch Franzen lazily float around. Does Franzen ever win a puck battle? Chicago is beyond horrible defensively and the Red Wings have scored four goals in the three losses to the Blackhawks. That truly concerns me come playoff time having so many streaky scorers in the top six. I like Bertuzzi and Hudler, but both are practically invisible for stretches. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Filppula are going to have to carry the offense for a deep run.

Some of you are making some funny comments. We lost this game, but yet were the better team the majority of the night. We hit 4 posts, and missed 2 or 3 glorious chances that looked like an open net... simply put we had no puck luck tonight! But guess what... in an 82 game season that happens to every team. To top that, we were without Pavel, Nick, Ericsson (not much of a loss, but still)and then tonight lost Kindl and Jimmy! That is a HUGE loss of talent that the Wings had to deal with and, in my opinion, they played the game very well considering.

- Kronners had an outstanding game, and I was very comfortable watching him log huge minutes tonight... this is huge for us knowing we can rely on him when Nick if Nick is hurt for a game

- Smith continues to amaze me more and more... everything he does tells me he deserves to be on this team over Kindl and Ericsson... continue to the great play

- Franzen is so freakin lazy... I was ticked off then, and still am now, that we let Hossa walk to keep lazyboy Franzen

- I thought Fil and Hank tried tonight, but as the game progressed they seemed to look tired

- Helm, Miller, Abs were fantastic

Lastly, I just want to say kudos to the 2 referees tonight, Dan O Halloran and Don Manhaviston (however you say it) who did a wonderful job officiating this game. They let both teams get away with a lot, and called what needed to be called and, more than anything, were CONSISTENT with their calls. Hope to have more officials like this.

Hopefully Nick is back tuesday, go wings!

Agree with all of this.

Flip and Hank were amazing in the first two periods, but they've had to carry us every night since Dats has been out, and as they were out there every other shift, they were exhausted in the 3rd.

Smith looks good and is clearly ready to be an NHL regular. Hopefully Kindl isn't out long, he's been impressive lately.

Mistake by Babcock to limit the 4th line to one shift in the third. Freaking 33 seconds was all Mursak saw in the third when we could have benefited from his speed. Freaking heck Babcock, just dress 7 defenceman if you're not going to play the kid. He's been looking good, skating well, playing physical, and he gets 33 seconds in the third? Wyy bother?

Guest Crymson

Franzen has scored goals this season at the roughly the same rate as Hossa for lesser cost, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort that he exerted when he was younger. Hossa's greater number of assists comes from playing with goal-scorers, which Franzen does not.

Edited by Crymson

Franzen has scored goals this season at the roughly the same rate as Hossa for lesser cost, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort that he exerted when he was younger. Hossa's greater number of assists comes from playing with goal-scorers, which Franzen does not.

Hossa regularly plays on the PK, and is excellent at takeaways. Franzen does neither.

Hossa >>>>>>>>>> Franzen.

Franzen has produced this season at the same rate as Hossa, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort as he once did.

Hossa: 63 points in 65 games

Franzen: 50 points in 65 games

How exactly is that anything near the same rate?

And Hossa is an elite defensive forward; no clue where you are getting his effort has decreased. I saw him back-check effectively more times in today's game than Franzen ever has. I'll take Hossa's "reduced effort" over Franzen's floating. Effort should never come up in a debate comparing someone to Franzen. The ice crew skates harder than Franzen does.

Hossa regularly plays on the PK, and is excellent at takeaways. Franzen does neither.

Hossa >>>>>>>>>> Franzen.

Thank you. I would plus this 100 more times if I could.

Hossa: 63 points in 65 games

Franzen: 50 points in 65 games

How exactly is that anything near the same rate?

And Hossa is an elite defensive forward; no clue where you are getting his effort has decreased. I saw him back-check effectively more times in today's game than Franzen ever has. I'll take Hossa's "reduced effort" over Franzen's floating. Effort should never come up in a debate comparing someone to Franzen. The ice crew skates harder than Franzen does.

Thank you. I would plus this 100 more times if I could.

I think Hossa did himself in with his awful 2009 playoffs and especially the choke against the Pens in the Finals. At that time, Franzen looked like some budding star with several impressive playoffs in a row.

In retrospect I would have kept Hossa, but the more I think about, the harder it is to disagree with the decision back then. I guess Holland couldn't see through Franzen's laziness in those days and predict the future.

The sad truth ... Hossa was a whipping boy for those playoffs and Franzen appeared to be enroute to becoming a premier power forward in the NHL. Hindsights always 20/20

I think Hossa did himself in with his awful 2009 playoffs and especially the choke against the Pens in the Finals. At that time, Franzen looked like some budding star with several impressive playoffs in a row.

In retrospect I would have kept Hossa, but the more I think about, the harder it is to disagree with the decision back then. I guess Holland couldn't see through Franzen's laziness in those days and predict the future.

Yeah, I completely understand why Franzen was signed. I know everyone was down on Hossa for his performance in the finals (rightfully so), but he was also playing injured. Franzen has done some very impressive things for the Red Wings and he might come through in the playoffs again. That being said, Hossa is a far superior player in every facet of the game and I would argue that was obvious even in 2009 before Franzen's poor work ethic kicked in. There were other factors that played into the decision, but if we're talking Hossa vs. Franzen straight up, I'm picking Hossa every time.

Franzen was signed before the playoffs started - eliminating the chance to sign Hossa.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Franzen was a hard worker up until the 2010-2011 season (can't count the 2010 season because he was on IR for the majority of it).

Just sayin. Also Franzen was a regular PKer and defensive forward, and is simply not used for it anymore. You can't assume that Hossa would have had the same amount of PK time as he does on the Hawks, considering both him and Franzen had virtually the same amount when he was here.

Apples and oranges, and hindsight and rinse and repeat.

yeah watching Franzen is ridiculous sometimes a 10 year old girl can knock the puck off his stick

exactly. blackhawks looked like bunch of drunk cheerleaders, and wings managed to lose anyway...

Didn't Hossa have a torn shoulder or something in those playoffs?

Keeping Franzen over Hossa was the right move because Ken Holland is the greatest GM in the history of the world and should never be questioned! :ninja:

(even though Hossa is 1,000,000,000 times better than Franzen ever imagined to be.)

Franzen showed his work ethic again against the Hawks. Problem is, this guy will never be traded because every other GM knows his work ethic and wants no part of him. I would just buy him out.

Keeping Franzen over Hossa was the right move because Ken Holland is the greatest GM in the history of the world and should never be questioned! :ninja:

(even though Hossa is 1,000,000,000 times better than Franzen ever imagined to be.)

Franzen showed his work ethic again against the Hawks. Problem is, this guy will never be traded because every other GM knows his work ethic and wants no part of him. I would just buy him out.

You would make even Brian Burke look good at GM.

Franzen was signed before the playoffs started - eliminating the chance to sign Hossa.

I didn't remember that. I guess they did it based off the 2008 playoffs.

Maybe Holland knew all along that Hossa planned on walking in the offseason. Didn't Hossa sign for a small contract with the Wings? Meaning he was a rental all along.

I didn't remember that. I guess they did it based off the 2008 playoffs.

Maybe Holland knew all along that Hossa planned on walking in the offseason. Didn't Hossa sign for a small contract with the Wings? Meaning he was a rental all along.

Hossa signed for about 7 million for the one season with Detroit. He then signed for 12 years and 62.8 with the hawks. I like Franzen's cap hit better to be honest.