• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#341 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Always hate losing to the Hawks. Thought the Wings fought well though. Still bad loss. Rough time for the injury bug to hit. Hope everyone gets healthy for the more important time.

That being said, always some good entertainment to come on LGW and see everyone freaking out. Lot of hockey left this regular season and hopefully into the postseason.

Cheers.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#342 ValpoHockey

ValpoHockey

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

-->insert obligatory post complaining about everything imaginable and how there's no chance we're going to beat team x/y/z in the playoffs<--

#343 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Lackluster PP killed us. We definitely need it sorted out come playoffs...

#344 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

-->insert obligatory post complaining about everything imaginable and how there's no chance we're going to beat team x/y/z in the playoffs<--

Exactly, it seems like people forget that the last time we lost in the first round was in 06' when we lost to the oilers

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#345 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Watching Franzen lose physical battles along the boards to guys like Kane and Keith is pretty frustrating. They're great players, but with his size, he should be tougher to handle. Just looks like jelly out there.

yeah watching Franzen is ridiculous sometimes a 10 year old girl can knock the puck off his stick

#346 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

a 10 year old girl

Patrick Kane?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#347 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Patrick Kane?

pretty much one in the same, they will both hit you for their 20 cents

#348 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

missed the game today, but in reading a few posts it seems Franzen was mostly invisible again in a big game where it would have been nice to see him step it up a notch; sometimes I wish Babcock would call his players out by name when they're doggin' it, he always keeps it real general and vague, always says, "Too many passengers tonight" instead of "Mule was a lazy s***-bag" or "Hudler was a complete waste of space out there" or even "Stuart with another costly turnover"

#349 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Watching Franzen lose physical battles along the boards to guys like Kane and Keith is pretty frustrating. They're great players, but with his size, he should be tougher to handle. Just looks like jelly out there.

Gosh, didn't you hear, the lazy ***** gets "BORED" during the regular season. Size means s*** if you don't use it.

#350 Scrappy's Servant

Scrappy's Servant

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I just find it sad that minus 2 of our better players (Datsyuk and Nick), that with all the experience we have on this team...everybody else seems like they don't have the first clue on what to do without them...I mean...really?? Are they that incapable of doing things themselves and stepping up their play? It's bad enough that nobody other than Pavel can bring the puck into the zone on a power play to get things set up.

All the mistakes we saw today are prime examples on why Ken Holland needed to do something to improve this team before the deadline..and in a rare event...he failed us in doing so.

#351 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I just find it sad that minus 2 of our better players (Datsyuk and Nick), that with all the experience we have on this team...everybody else seems like they don't have the first clue on what to do without them...I mean...really?? Are they that incapable of doing things themselves and stepping up their play? It's bad enough that nobody other than Pavel can bring the puck into the zone on a power play to get things set up.

All the mistakes we saw today are prime examples on why Ken Holland needed to do something to improve this team before the deadline..and in a rare event...he failed us in doing so.

I don't know what game you watched. The Wings outplayed the Hawks. They hit 4 cross-bars and had two misses on wide open nets. And yes, one was by Mule. Any one of these goes in and it's a different game. No puck luck today. Sometimes it happens. I'm ok with the effort.
Do or do not. There is no try

#352 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

I don't know what game you watched. The Wings outplayed the Hawks. They hit 4 cross-bars and had two misses on wide open nets. And yes, one was by Mule. Any one of these goes in and it's a different game. No puck luck today. Sometimes it happens. I'm ok with the effort.

agree.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#353 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

pretty much one in the same, they will both hit you for their 20 cents

And they don't play defense.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#354 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

It's funny if the Wings were up 2-1 late we know the Hawks would tie it late but when the switch is flipped our guys can't score! Now you all know why I am so hard on this team b/c they just let me down!

When the Wings are shut down by a hot goaltender despite outplaying the opponent, it's unacceptable to you. When the Wings` hot goaltender shuts down the other team despite the Wings having been outplayed, it's not good enough for you. Please spare us the false pretense that your expectations of the Wings are reasonable.

#355 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

I really didn't think the Red Wings played poorly at all considering the circumstances. Not easy to beat a desperate team with your best player at forward, defense and in goal missing. Frustrating loss regardless because I hate the Blackhawks and the points at stake are so crucial. In saying that, I thought the Red Wings carried most of the play and were the better team. Once again, an inept powerplay cost them a win.

Like many others here have stated, I frickin love Brendan Smith. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He looks so composed and comfortable and he's been much stronger defensively than I anticipated so far. Smith's ability to move the puck is flawless. His passes are crisp and usually right on the mark. I'm by no means an Ericsson hater, but I'm starting to believe there's no reason not to let Smith continue for the playoffs. With the Quincey addition, it makes Ericsson's role even less significant. It goes against Holland's typical philosophy and I'm not expecting Ericsson to gets benched, but man I am beyond impressed with Smith.

I will also echo the comments about having too many passengers at forward. Every time I see Hossa it makes me even more depressed to watch Franzen lazily float around. Does Franzen ever win a puck battle? Chicago is beyond horrible defensively and the Red Wings have scored four goals in the three losses to the Blackhawks. That truly concerns me come playoff time having so many streaky scorers in the top six. I like Bertuzzi and Hudler, but both are practically invisible for stretches. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Filppula are going to have to carry the offense for a deep run.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#356 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Some of you are making some funny comments. We lost this game, but yet were the better team the majority of the night. We hit 4 posts, and missed 2 or 3 glorious chances that looked like an open net... simply put we had no puck luck tonight! But guess what... in an 82 game season that happens to every team. To top that, we were without Pavel, Nick, Ericsson (not much of a loss, but still)and then tonight lost Kindl and Jimmy! That is a HUGE loss of talent that the Wings had to deal with and, in my opinion, they played the game very well considering.

- Kronners had an outstanding game, and I was very comfortable watching him log huge minutes tonight... this is huge for us knowing we can rely on him when Nick if Nick is hurt for a game
- Smith continues to amaze me more and more... everything he does tells me he deserves to be on this team over Kindl and Ericsson... continue to the great play
- Franzen is so freakin lazy... I was ticked off then, and still am now, that we let Hossa walk to keep lazyboy Franzen
- I thought Fil and Hank tried tonight, but as the game progressed they seemed to look tired
- Helm, Miller, Abs were fantastic

Lastly, I just want to say kudos to the 2 referees tonight, Dan O Halloran and Don Manhaviston (however you say it) who did a wonderful job officiating this game. They let both teams get away with a lot, and called what needed to be called and, more than anything, were CONSISTENT with their calls. Hope to have more officials like this.

Hopefully Nick is back tuesday, go wings!

Agree with all of this.

Flip and Hank were amazing in the first two periods, but they've had to carry us every night since Dats has been out, and as they were out there every other shift, they were exhausted in the 3rd.

Smith looks good and is clearly ready to be an NHL regular. Hopefully Kindl isn't out long, he's been impressive lately.

Mistake by Babcock to limit the 4th line to one shift in the third. Freaking 33 seconds was all Mursak saw in the third when we could have benefited from his speed. Freaking heck Babcock, just dress 7 defenceman if you're not going to play the kid. He's been looking good, skating well, playing physical, and he gets 33 seconds in the third? Wyy bother?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#357 Redwings-40-5

Redwings-40-5

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Seems like whoever picked Franzen's nickname picked the right animal, but they picked the wrong word.

Edited by Redwings-40-5, 04 March 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#358 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Franzen has scored goals this season at the roughly the same rate as Hossa for lesser cost, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort that he exerted when he was younger. Hossa's greater number of assists comes from playing with goal-scorers, which Franzen does not.

Edited by Crymson, 04 March 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#359 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Franzen has scored goals this season at the roughly the same rate as Hossa for lesser cost, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort that he exerted when he was younger. Hossa's greater number of assists comes from playing with goal-scorers, which Franzen does not.

Hossa regularly plays on the PK, and is excellent at takeaways. Franzen does neither.

Hossa >>>>>>>>>> Franzen.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#360 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

Franzen has produced this season at the same rate as Hossa, and Hossa no longer displays the same defensive effort as he once did.

Hossa: 63 points in 65 games
Franzen: 50 points in 65 games

How exactly is that anything near the same rate?

And Hossa is an elite defensive forward; no clue where you are getting his effort has decreased. I saw him back-check effectively more times in today's game than Franzen ever has. I'll take Hossa's "reduced effort" over Franzen's floating. Effort should never come up in a debate comparing someone to Franzen. The ice crew skates harder than Franzen does.

Hossa regularly plays on the PK, and is excellent at takeaways. Franzen does neither.

Hossa >>>>>>>>>> Franzen.

Thank you. I would plus this 100 more times if I could.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."