• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#361 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hossa regularly plays on the PK, and is excellent at takeaways. Franzen does neither.

Hossa >>>>>>>>>> Franzen.

Hossa actually logs more shorthanded TOI per game than any other forward on the Hawks.

#362 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hossa: 63 points in 65 games
Franzen: 50 points in 65 games

How exactly is that anything near the same rate?

And Hossa is an elite defensive forward; no clue where you are getting his effort has decreased. I saw him back-check effectively more times in today's game than Franzen ever has. I'll take Hossa's "reduced effort" over Franzen's floating. Effort should never come up in a debate comparing someone to Franzen. The ice crew skates harder than Franzen does.

Thank you. I would plus this 100 more times if I could.

I think Hossa did himself in with his awful 2009 playoffs and especially the choke against the Pens in the Finals. At that time, Franzen looked like some budding star with several impressive playoffs in a row.

In retrospect I would have kept Hossa, but the more I think about, the harder it is to disagree with the decision back then. I guess Holland couldn't see through Franzen's laziness in those days and predict the future.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#363 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

The sad truth ... Hossa was a whipping boy for those playoffs and Franzen appeared to be enroute to becoming a premier power forward in the NHL. Hindsights always 20/20

I think Hossa did himself in with his awful 2009 playoffs and especially the choke against the Pens in the Finals. At that time, Franzen looked like some budding star with several impressive playoffs in a row.

In retrospect I would have kept Hossa, but the more I think about, the harder it is to disagree with the decision back then. I guess Holland couldn't see through Franzen's laziness in those days and predict the future.

#364 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Yeah, I completely understand why Franzen was signed. I know everyone was down on Hossa for his performance in the finals (rightfully so), but he was also playing injured. Franzen has done some very impressive things for the Red Wings and he might come through in the playoffs again. That being said, Hossa is a far superior player in every facet of the game and I would argue that was obvious even in 2009 before Franzen's poor work ethic kicked in. There were other factors that played into the decision, but if we're talking Hossa vs. Franzen straight up, I'm picking Hossa every time.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#365 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

Franzen was signed before the playoffs started - eliminating the chance to sign Hossa.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 05 March 2012 - 12:03 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#366 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Franzen was a hard worker up until the 2010-2011 season (can't count the 2010 season because he was on IR for the majority of it).

Just sayin. Also Franzen was a regular PKer and defensive forward, and is simply not used for it anymore. You can't assume that Hossa would have had the same amount of PK time as he does on the Hawks, considering both him and Franzen had virtually the same amount when he was here.

Apples and oranges, and hindsight and rinse and repeat.

Posted Image

#367 Cajanek_Spielmacher

Cajanek_Spielmacher

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

Fixed it for you.

Thanx for doing that. I meant Hawks 2-1!! :siren:
PRIDE-PASSION-DETERMINATION-FAITH-ST.LOUIS BLUES----

#368 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

yeah watching Franzen is ridiculous sometimes a 10 year old girl can knock the puck off his stick

exactly. blackhawks looked like bunch of drunk cheerleaders, and wings managed to lose anyway...

#369 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

I thought we skated hard, I was happy with the over all effort. We hit a bunch of posts. It seemed like we out shot them. We played physical, it just was not our night.

#370 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Didn't Hossa have a torn shoulder or something in those playoffs?

#371 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Didn't Hossa have a torn shoulder or something in those playoffs?

He had that injury before the season even started.

http://www.mlive.com...and_says_1.html

Posted Image

#372 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Keeping Franzen over Hossa was the right move because Ken Holland is the greatest GM in the history of the world and should never be questioned! :ninja:

(even though Hossa is 1,000,000,000 times better than Franzen ever imagined to be.)

Franzen showed his work ethic again against the Hawks. Problem is, this guy will never be traded because every other GM knows his work ethic and wants no part of him. I would just buy him out.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#373 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Keeping Franzen over Hossa was the right move because Ken Holland is the greatest GM in the history of the world and should never be questioned! :ninja:

(even though Hossa is 1,000,000,000 times better than Franzen ever imagined to be.)

Franzen showed his work ethic again against the Hawks. Problem is, this guy will never be traded because every other GM knows his work ethic and wants no part of him. I would just buy him out.

You would make even Brian Burke look good at GM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#374 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Franzen was signed before the playoffs started - eliminating the chance to sign Hossa.

I didn't remember that. I guess they did it based off the 2008 playoffs.

Maybe Holland knew all along that Hossa planned on walking in the offseason. Didn't Hossa sign for a small contract with the Wings? Meaning he was a rental all along.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#375 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

I didn't remember that. I guess they did it based off the 2008 playoffs.

Maybe Holland knew all along that Hossa planned on walking in the offseason. Didn't Hossa sign for a small contract with the Wings? Meaning he was a rental all along.

Hossa signed for about 7 million for the one season with Detroit. He then signed for 12 years and 62.8 with the hawks. I like Franzen's cap hit better to be honest.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#376 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Maybe Holland knew all along that Hossa planned on walking in the offseason.

I don't think Hossa planned that at all, he wanted to stay here. Holland just couldn't give him much more than Franzen because he signed Franzen first.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!