• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

The Blues are in the driver's seat

Rate this topic

St. Louis has just finished a long 6 game road trip (5 out west) and won FIVE of them. Needless to say the Blues are hot and playing very well on the road. First time since February 2009 that they had won 4 in a row on the road.

The Wings are not playing well on the road and they have 8 games left on the road. Blues have 9 games left on the road. Who has the advantage now?

So for those who thought the Wings were going to win the division because their schedule is easier..... think again. IMHO, the Blues have the advantage simply because Detroit is hurting and still have not corrected the problems on the road.

Detroit's season is over, IMHO, if they don't win the division. The Wings' trip out West coming up next week may be the turning point.... one way or the other... although the game against the Blues in St. Louis on April 4th will probably determine who wins the divsion and each team has won outright their home games against each other this year.

I'm happy for The Blues fans and organization they have had a hard time the past 10 yrs, kinda like how I felt for the Hawk fans when Chicago became relevant again. Sooner or later the Blues are gonna have some adversity, every team has it during a season. What happens if Elliot gets hurt or one of their top forwards get hurt. Anything can happen from here till the end of the season.

I think we are very fortunate to have one of the best goalie duos in the NHL right now, unfortunately so does St. Louis. Halak has been flat out dominant in the last few weeks, and it's intimidating. I wouldn't go as far to say we are pretty much out of it if we don't win the division because we continue to be among the elite teams in hockey and can stand up against anyone.

I don't really understand why at this point, sitting at the top of the standings for weeks, Howard being a potential Vezina candidate and breaking an NHL record for consecutive home wins, there would be any doubt that we can get through any opponent in the playoffs and win the cup this year. What else do they need to prove?

St. Louis has just finished a long 6 game road trip (5 out west) and won FIVE of them. Needless to say the Blues are hot and playing very well on the road. First time since February 2009 that they had won 4 in a row on the road.

The Wings are not playing well on the road and they have 8 games left on the road. Blues have 9 games left on the road. Who has the advantage now?

So for those who thought the Wings were going to win the division because their schedule is easier..... think again. IMHO, the Blues have the advantage simply because Detroit is hurting and still have not corrected the problems on the road.

Detroit's season is over, IMHO, if they don't win the division. The Wings' trip out West coming up next week may be the turning point.... one way or the other... although the game against the Blues in St. Louis on April 4th will probably determine who wins the divsion and each team has won outright their home games against each other this year.

To say their season is over if they don't win the division is absurd! If they finish 4th rather than first or second it makes it harder, but far from over.

i can't get over st louis how well they're playing.

goals against is stellar.

on a side note i think the key to us winning the stanley cup will be travel.

i looked at the brackets yesterday from our last 4 cup seasons and only two times we travelled out west during the course of the 4 cup runs.

As a Blues fan;I'm still skeptical about winning the division.I'm not sure if we have enough depth in scoring, especially against elite goaltenders like Renne and Howard. Getting Alex Steen from IR would be a big boost.

I just looked at the standings this morning.

Van 66 GP 90 pts

St. Louis 66 GP 89 pts

Det - 65 GP, 89 pts

Don't you mean we're in the driver's seat? Meaning, we're in control of our own destiny, if we win, we take 1st place in the West.

Having said all this about Pres Trophy (in other thread) have we forgotten about the Eastern Conference? The Rangers got 2-3 games on the top Western teams and if played out, can easily take 1st place overall.

i can't get over st louis how well they're playing.

goals against is stellar.

on a side note i think the key to us winning the stanley cup will be travel.

i looked at the brackets yesterday from our last 4 cup seasons and only two times we travelled out west during the course of the 4 cup runs.

Anaheim in 97, Phoenix in 98 and Vancouver in 2002. Also, Colorado in 1997, 2002 and 2008. Colorado isn't on the west coast, but it's still a big travel for the Wings.

Honestly, travel isn't an issue. If a team is driven enough to win the Cup like those teams were, they'll overcome it.

As for matchup preferences, with San Jose and Chicago dropping lower in the group, finishing higher might not be a good thing. I'd rather play Nashville or Phoenix over those teams.

I'm not, they are beyond cocky now

Me too.

I've had to deal with Blues fans before, and they act like their team has won something before. It's pretty funny actually.

f*** their organization and the players. I hope they lose in the first round.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Blues rank 21st in the league in GFA and have zero playoff experience. We played them 3 times in 2 weeks in December and January after Hitchcock had them rolling and beat them 3-2, 3-0, and 3-1. Yes they won 5 out of six. They beat non-playoff teams Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, Nashville in a shootout and a struggling Sharks team. So who did they lose to? The only good team that they played - Vancouver. I'm not impressed.

Just so everyone knows, the Blues are 2-7 against top 5 teams since January and 2-8 if you include the Dec 31 game against Detroit. They aren't going to beat an elite team in the playoffs especially if that team has experience

I'm not, they are beyond cocky now

Ahh... The diagnosis of winning. The symptoms occur among a fan base that was used to losing but are now winning.

We've seen it before with other teams. The most notable cases are undoubtedly Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Some say that Wings fans exhibited these symptoms as well around the late 80s to early 90s. As time went on the symptoms allegedly got worse. It led to statements such as, "A classless fan base doesn't deserve such a classy team."

The symptom of beyond cockiness had led to supreme internet activity on sports message boards all over the world.

Oh, another one of these people. Yay.

I read that too and was like wtf is this guy on about? Season is over before the playoffs start? So confused.

Anaheim in 97, Phoenix in 98 and Vancouver in 2002. Also, Colorado in 1997, 2002 and 2008. Colorado isn't on the west coast, but it's still a big travel for the Wings.

Honestly, travel isn't an issue. If a team is driven enough to win the Cup like those teams were, they'll overcome it.

As for matchup preferences, with San Jose and Chicago dropping lower in the group, finishing higher might not be a good thing. I'd rather play Nashville or Phoenix over those teams.

I've never been able to figure out this whole travel thing. These guys fly on private jets, get treated like rock stars, stay in the nicest hotels, eat the best food, sounds really tough to me. Rarely if ever do you hear the players ***** about travel, its usually the media or the fans who use it as an excuse. Obviously it would be nice to play all 82 games withing 15 minutes of their 2 million dollar houses but I think its way over hyped.

Hey, if the Blues idea of success is winning the division, I say bravo! While the initial home advantage would certainly be nice, I'm looking far beyond the Central.

The nice part of me will keep the evil part of me from mentioning 25 years of making the playoffs, only to remain irrelevant.

Oops. :blush:

I've never been able to figure out this whole travel thing. These guys fly on private jets, get treated like rock stars, stay in the nicest hotels, eat the best food, sounds really tough to me. Rarely if ever do you hear the players ***** about travel, its usually the media or the fans who use it as an excuse. Obviously it would be nice to play all 82 games withing 15 minutes of their 2 million dollar houses but I think its way over hyped.

It's not so much the actual travel, it's the difference in time. Jet lag. 7:30 Pacific Time is 10:30 Eastern Time.

There's nothing wrong with some competition going into the playoffs, I'm ok with the Blues putting pressure on us.

Also I don't see how not winning the division will mean we don't have a shot at winning the Cup. Teams have won the Cup in the 4th seed.

I agree, I think the travel arguement is more about a $$$ thing for the team, and doesn't have much effect on the players.

If the Wings move East, the main thing is, the team will save money traveling less.

Me too.

I've had to deal with Blues fans before, and they act like their team has won something before. It's pretty funny actually.

f*** their organization and the players. I hope they lose in the first round.

And here I am living in St Louis. Blues fans act like they've been up there with the elite for years and have been battling for the division and have been making the playoffs for years.

What some fans don't seem to understand is that the playoffs are a war of attrition. Which team is better, which team has a better PP or PK, which team has a better goal differential, etc..... you can take all the stats and throw them out the window.... they don't mean a darn thing. IMHO, the most important aspects/elements of a Stanley Cup Champ are that they have the strongest will and determination, they have the capability of completely shutting down the opposition (that boils down to defense and goaltending as well as forwards who can play good defense), and finally the team that is usually the healthiest overall. Now if you take those elements and not only apply them to the team as a whole but apply them to each individual on the team you can see where you stand.

Every year the "war of attrition" has been occurring earlier and earlier.... even before the playoffs start. Why? Because the teams are so close and the battle for each single point is so intense and one single point could make all the difference.

The ONLY thing we know for certain is that if your team finishes as a higher seed your chances improve. That is really the only thing we know at this point. Other than that is it a cr@p shoot.... plain and simple. I often talk about the "road to the cup". If you look back over the last few years the Stanley Cup champ had an "easy" road..... including the Wings in 2008. With the Wings being in the West and the possibility of long travel each round it is paramount that they finish as a top three seed..... and not just because they play better at home than on the road but because of that long travel and the extra trip if they don't have home ice advantage in a 7 game series. So besides having the three important elements I have listed above the Wings are one of the teams that have to deal with something else.

Now, I am not rooting for St. Louis but I am impressed with the fact that they are exhibiting high marks for those 3 important elements.

Edited by Icesurfer

And here I am living in St Louis. Blues fans act like they've been up there with the elite for years and have been battling for the division and have been making the playoffs for years.

Why you be lying! I have been a fan since 67/68 and have yet to meet anyone who acts like they have had an elite team for years. I would say that most Blues fans are paranoid and still think that something will happen to destroy what they have built this year. If you care to discuss this in person I am down for a beer anytime at PLAGERS. I AM OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER the Redwings after their good years in the 60's and early 70's but also their 20+ years of crap hockey. So forgive our fanbase for being excited by our best team since 2000. :siren:

Why you be lying! I have been a fan since 67/68 and have yet to meet anyone who acts like they have had an elite team for years. I would say that most Blues fans are paranoid and still think that something will happen to destroy what they have built this year. If you care to discuss this in person I am down for a beer anytime at PLAGERS. I AM OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER the Redwings after their good years in the 60's and early 70's but also their 20+ years of crap hockey. So forgive our fanbase for being excited by our best team since 2000. :siren:

It's the area I'm from. Multiple people around me know nothing about sports, they only know St Louis teams and anything I say about St Louis fans is mostly about them and definitely does not represent the entire fansbase