• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I don't know why so many people are worried here. Playoffs is all that counts. Every team starts 0-0. I don't care which team the Wings play in the 1st round. If the Wings are healthy then they can beat any team. If a team is worried about another team then they are not good enough to win the Cup anyway. You can respect your opponent but you can't fear them. I don't care if St. Louis wins the West. It means nothing. Everyone talks about home ice being so important. Is it really? The last 2 Game 7's at home in the SCF were won by the road team. Pens in 2009 and the Bruins in 2011. The Wings lost to San Jose in Game 7 at the Shark Tank. However not having a healthy Franzen played a larger role in that loss than anything else did. Also losing Cleary and Bertuzzi in that game did not help matters. My point is Blues fans can shove it up their ass. I am so sick of hearing how important these regular season games are. Even if the Wings were healthy and running away with the West, I'd still feel the same way. You can't win a Stanley Cup in March. Just relax and look forward to the playoffs. The Blues are not going to win every game the rest of the year anway so who cares? The Wings are not going to lose every game either. Hopefully the Wings can play the Blues in the playoffs and beat them in the games which actually mean something. Until then, I look forward to seeing what this Wings team can do when healthy. If they can get the power play going then that would be nice too. Also, home ice is nice and most Wings fans seem to think that we need it to succeed in the playoffs. Any team which wins the Cup has to win on the road as well. The Wings are not going to win every home game in the playoffs anyway. None of the Cup teams from 97,98,2002 or 2008 ran the table at home in the playoffs. They all won key road games which played pivotal parts in their Cup runs.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 07 March 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#42 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

The Blues have everything what it takes,but the lack of Playoffs experience could be decisive factor

..just my 2 cents

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

The Blues have everything what it takes,but the lack of Playoffs experience could be decisive factor

..just my 2 cents

Haven't followed them too closely, but I've heard a lot of people talk about how St. Louis lacks defensive depth. If true, that will cost them in the playoffs.

Honestly, the Wings are one game out of 1st in the league, I'm not too concerned yet.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

St.Louis is a good team, but at the end of the day they're not the Red Wings :thumbup:
IPB Image

#45 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Why are people afraid of playing Nashville in the first round? If we can't beat them, then who are we kidding about a possible Cup run?

I'd rather play them over Chicago or San Jose.

Everybody is going to have their preferences, I just basically want a high seed as possible moreso than ever this season since the Wings have barely been beatable on home ice (not using these recent games as much factor due to injuries), and less travel to a lesser degree.

Other than that, doesn't matter who they play. If they are healthy and can match the other team's work ethic, they win more often than they lose.

Of those three you mentioned, they've beaten them all this season at various points, bring any of them on.

#46 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

And here I am living in St Louis. Blues fans act like they've been up there with the elite for years and have been battling for the division and have been making the playoffs for years.

Before they went through their rebuilding period, The Blues were elite or at the very least, very good, for a long time, challenged for the division often, were always in the playoffs, won the President's trophy, went to the conference finals, blah, blah...they just could't get over the hump in the playoffs.

Some of you think the Blues came into the league in 2005. Blues fans have just been waiting for this.

Blues fans are excited about their team's return to respectability...and they should be.
They are playing some great hockey, and they have the best goaltending they have ever had...maybe the best goaltending duo in the last 40 years (haven't looked it up though). They are playing a great system and have a balanced attack. And they are doing it without one of their best two-way players in Alex Steen.

They could win the West and/or the division. Their 7 game road trip they have coming up will play a big part in where they finish. Their last road trip was 6 games and they went 5-1 on it.
The 4 vs 5 matchup is going to be a war with Nashville...so whoever finishes 4th is in for a dogfight. Winning the division is a big deal.

Looking forward to the home stretch.

St.Louis is a good team, but at the end of the day they're not the Red Wings :thumbup:

No, they're not. They are two points better. ;)

#47 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Before they went through their rebuilding period, The Blues were elite or at the very least, very good, for a long time, challenged for the division often, were always in the playoffs, won the President's trophy, went to the conference finals, blah, blah...they just could't get over the hump in the playoffs.

Some of you think the Blues came into the league in 2005. Blues fans have just been waiting for this.

Blues fans are excited about their team's return to respectability...and they should be.
They are playing some great hockey, and they have the best goaltending they have ever had...maybe the best goaltending duo in the last 40 years (haven't looked it up though). They are playing a great system and have a balanced attack. And they are doing it without one of their best two-way players in Alex Steen.

They could win the West and/or the division. Their 7 game road trip they have coming up will play a big part in where they finish. Their last road trip was 6 games and they went 5-1 on it.
The 4 vs 5 matchup is going to be a war with Nashville...so whoever finishes 4th is in for a dogfight. Winning the division is a big deal.

Looking forward to the home stretch.

I realize that but leading the league with a month to go does not excuse a decade of irrelevancy. If they're excited then more power to them, it's great for the game. However, they need to stop it with the "Detroit sucks" and saying Vancouver is s***ty when they really have no room to talk.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#48 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

No, they're not. They are two points better. ;)

Id be ditching that zoom lens shot for a 20 year wide panoramic.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#49 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

We are missing 4/6 player from our typical starting lineup (Pav, Bert, Lids, Jimmy) and 2 steady defensemen in Kindl and Ericsson ... and we are ONLY 2 points back of St Louis. Within a few games well be getting our starters back (if Jimmy is a little longer fair enough - groins on a goalie can be a career altering injury if recurring). A 1st or 2nd seed would be nice but a 4th wouldnt break my heart. If San Jose and Chicago end up 7/8 I could see either of those teams being a huge pain for whoever they face ... a healthy Detroit vs Nashville isnt a matchup that has me that worried.

#50 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

..just my 2 cents

At first glance, you'd think they didn't have much playoff experience.
But that's not really true.

Arnott and Langenbrunner have loads of playoff experience and are very vocal in the locker room.
Halak took Montreal to the Conference finals a couple years ago.
McDonald has won a cup.
And most of the Blues roster got a taste of the playoffs a few years ago when they were bounced by Vancouver in the first round.
They may not have a vast amount of playoff experience from top to bottom, but the veteran leaders on this team have a lot of playoff experience.

#51 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Id be ditching that zoom lens shot for a 20 year wide panoramic.

Why?
What does 20 years ago have to do with right now?

Nothing really.

#52 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

I realize that but leading the league with a month to go does not excuse a decade of irrelevancy. If they're excited then more power to them, it's great for the game. However, they need to stop it with the "Detroit sucks" and saying Vancouver is s***ty when they really have no room to talk.

A decade?
Not quite. They missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years.
And why such a small sample size? I like to look at it and say we've been competitive/very good and made the playoffs 26 of the last 31 years. No, there isn't much to show for it...but they were a lot of fun to watch.

And saying so and so "sucks" is part of the game. It's just how it is. And ummm, I'll let you in on something...saying "Detroit Sucks" or "Vancouver Sucks" doesn't mean we think they are actually a bad hockey team. Does that even need to be said?? Come on.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Why are people afraid of playing Nashville in the first round? If we can't beat them, then who are we kidding about a possible Cup run?

I'd rather play them over Chicago or San Jose.

in addition...have the Wings ever lost to the Preds in the playoffs? didn't think so. i'm not overly worried about the Sharts this year as they lack effort needed to win in the reg season this year let alone the playoffs. i'd be more worried about playing hard nosed teams like the Blues and Hawks, or the Canucks cause the Wings will get f***ed by the refs and spend the entire series on the PK like against San Jose in the past. If the Wings don't end up in the SCF, I really hope that the Blues represent the West. It's really hard not to like the Blues team top to bottom, and Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are 2 of the best young dmen in the game for sure. I would go as far as to say as good if not better than Keith/Seabrook.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#54 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Why?
What does 20 years ago have to do with right now?

Nothing really.

Not 20 years ago, rather the last 20 years as large sample group. All the Blues have to brag about vs the Red Wings success is whay exactly? A presidents trophy and a current 2 point lead that's been flip-flopping all year? Unless you live in denial land, how hard is this to understand?

And why such a small sample size?

This is what I was saying to you.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#55 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Its good to have some competition in the division again. The Central is better when St. Louis is not crappy.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#56 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

I am a strong believer that the Wings need to focus on their own play and nevermind the standings. St. Louis, as it is, is only 2 points ahead of us and we are missing our 2 best players, along with others. With that said, we will start to get our guys back and, by next week, we will have the majority of our team playing and I predict we will get rolling again.

With that said, St. Louis is playing great hockey under Hitch, only a fool would doubt that. You cannot make an argument about lack of playoff experience because they have a very good coach, several veteran players with playoff experience and, most importantly, they have 2 great goalies. I predict they are going to go with Halak for the playoffs and he is having an outstanding season. Halak has playoff experience by almost single-handlidy carrying the Habs to the Conference finals 2 seasons ago. Playing for the Habs as a goalie in the playoffs has a ton more pressure than the Blues, so I think he will continue to be very good for the Blues in the post season. The Blues play a great, tightly contested defensive system and could be a real threat in the playoffs.

It is because of that, that I believe the Red Wings need to do what they can to get 1st or 2nd seed and we have a schedule to make that possible once we get Nick and Pavel back within the next week or so. Simply put, if the Red Wings play like they should, and have for a majority of the season, then they should be able to pass St. Louis and possibly Vancouver because we have a pretty easy schedule for the remainder of the season (especially after next week's road trip is over). Since Mike Babcock has come here, he has typically been able to get the Wings to finish their seasons on a strong note, and I have no doubt in my mind that this year will be no exception. Zetterberg and Fil are playing very well, and with Pavel back we will be able to get a much stronger team balance in scoring. Also, with Nick back it will make things flow much better and help lead to success heading into the playoff season.

I respect the Blues and what they have been able to do this season. I am happy for their fans who have waited a long while for their team to become a contender again. With that said, I think the Wings will finish strong and a strong finish is important to the Wings because it ensures home ice through at least most of the playoffs and we all know how good the Wings are at home.

#57 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

You can't win them all if they just won 5 of 6 on the road they will probably come down to earth and lose a few just the way it goes.

#58 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

credit to my friend, Steve. :P

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#59 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just remember: The Playoffs and the regular season are two completely different animals. And regular season success doesn't always translate into post season success. So Blues fans can enjoy what they have going right now, but don't start thinking your destined for greatness until you've achieved it.

#60 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

A decade?
Not quite. They missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years.
And why such a small sample size? I like to look at it and say we've been competitive/very good and made the playoffs 26 of the last 31 years. No, there isn't much to show for it...but they were a lot of fun to watch.

And saying so and so "sucks" is part of the game. It's just how it is. And ummm, I'll let you in on something...saying "Detroit Sucks" or "Vancouver Sucks" doesn't mean we think they are actually a bad hockey team. Does that even need to be said?? Come on.

You are right, lets look at the last 20 years.

Vancouver made it to the playoffs 13 times, and to the finals 2 times.
Detroit made it to the playoffs all 20 times, made it to the finals 6 times, and won the cup 4 times.
St. Louis made it to the playoffs 14 times, and made it to the conference finals only once.

As you said, they are fun to watch, and they have been relevant in the last 20 years. Five of the last six seasons have been forgetful ones though. Its good to see them come back to relevancy though, but how far they will get remains a mystery. Can Hitchcock get this team to play playoff hockey when the playoffs come around? Stay tuned.....

Edited by Nightfall, 08 March 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain