• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

The Blues are in the driver's seat

Rate this topic

Alright. After keeping a close eye on this thread and only ringing in to poke at Blues fans here and there, I'm going to throw down my two cents for real.

St.Louis have been the most consistent team in the NHL since Hitch's arrival. THIS is why they are 6 up in the central. They don't have any stinker games. They just play well every night. If Detroit doesn't take nights off against NYI, Montreal, Coulmbus, etc. they'd be even.

My main concern (if I was a Blues fan) is whether or not there is any room left in their game to elevate their play. Because I think Detroit, Chicago (for sure), Nashville, Vancouver (not as much) and San Jose (big time) can and most likely will crank it up a notch.

Say all you want about physical play and goaltending and defence. Measuring this against, say, regular season Chicago might not be reflective of how the wall holds up against post-season Chicago. Know what I mean?

When folks say, "The Blues are playing playoff style hockey", that doesn't mean anything other than they are playing very well. It doesn't mean they can't find a higher gear or can't play any better. It's just gibberish really.

Guest Hatethedrake!

It also doesn't mean the Blues can't fall flat on their ass and be bounced in the 1st round. It's just gibberish really.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

It also doesn't mean the Blues can't fall flat on their ass and be bounced in the 1st round. It's just gibberish really.

Uhhh....usually when someone says so and so team is playing "playoff type hockey", they aren't implying that they could lose in the first round.

I'm not saying they can't lose, it f'ing happened to them the last time they won the President's trophy.

But I appreciate the attempt at making a smart-ass comment. Nice effort.

Uhhh....usually when someone says so and so team is playing "playoff type hockey", they aren't implying that they could lose in the first round.

I'm not saying they can't lose, it f'ing happened to them the last time they won the President's trophy.

The Blues are having a great season, especially considering how they started.

But you have to realize that being a Blues fan on a Red Wings board, the subtext of most responses you get will be along the lines of: Maybe quell your erection until you win a round of the playoffs.

To be clear, you're absolutely welcome as a fan of another team. It's great to hear about other teams from their fans and get an outside perspective. But at the same time if you're expecting a lot of people here to go out of their way to compliment the Blues, you're probably going to be disappointed.

And we all as wings fans on a wings forum appreciate the fact that the only time we ever see you post on here is when the blues are up. Keep up the good work!! :thumbup:

But you have to realize that being a Blues fan on a Red Wings board, the subtext of most responses you get will be along the lines of: Maybe quell your erection until you win a round of the playoffs.

To be clear, you're absolutely welcome as a fan of another team. It's great to hear about other teams from their fans and get an outside perspective. But at the same time if you're expecting a lot of people here to go out of their way to compliment the Blues, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Seriously. It's one thing to be here conversing about hockey. It's another to come here and start saying 'nanana-booboo blues are better than you'. No matter how you put it, that's essentially what you are doing.

I'm seriously dying for the Wings to play the Blues in the playoffs (if the Blues don't choke in the 1st round). It's quite funny that St. Louis fans are still suffering from little brother complex and feel the need to post their teams accomplishments on our board. Yet, when we own them like we have in the past. It's never because we're a superior team. It's because the refs have it in for the Blues and favor the Wings. So please, once the Blues win at least a conference championship, or let alone a playoff round. Don't come in here and look for us to say "Hey! Good Job Blues!" You haven't done anything. Much like Vancouver last year, Blues fans seem to be anointing themselves as champions already. I saw this in an article written by a Blues writer and it made me laugh:

"The Red Wings are starting to feel their age with the number of injuries on the roster (Hint: Lidstrom is old)."

The thing is St. Louis fans, we've been better than you for 20 years for a reason. Not because our whole team is 20 year vets... It's because we draft better, we have better coaching, better trainers, better home ice advantage, better staff, and a winning tradition (unlike you).

So just remember, although Lidstrom is coming to an end. you have:

Brendan Smith

Gustav Nyquist

Tomas Jurco

Jan Mursak

Landon Ferraro

Tomas Tatar

Mitchell Callahan

Teemu Pulkkinen

among many others ready to come in to reload the Wings' revolver. Have fun with that; we'll be young again in 3 years.

/endrant

Guest Hatethedrake!

Uh I see right through your little act. You're a Blues troll who pretends to get along with Wings fans. You get offended each time someone dares criticizes the Blues. I appreciate your lack of hockey knowledge and your Inferiority Complex. Keep proving me right. This goes for all your posts. I see through it. It shouldn't take long for everyone else to as well. Nice effort though.

Really not understanding why Blues fans in here need us to stroke their ego more than necessary or feeling the need to try so hard for our approval.

Anybody with half a brain at present time will give the Blues their fair kudos for doing so well in a coaching change, barely losing lately, and a realistic chance of taking the division. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I don't get into the rivalry aspect in general much so if the Blues make a deep playoff run or whatever, I'll be way ahead in line giving them their kudos.

I'm not going to kiss their butt more than necessary though. They've done well so far, they'll probably be a hard out in the playoffs, but all they have accomplished is a top seed just about 70 games into the season. The season is longer than 70 games.

They still have work to do.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

When folks say, "The Blues are playing playoff style hockey", that doesn't mean anything other than they are playing very well. It doesn't mean they can't find a higher gear or can't play any better. It's just gibberish really.

agreed. I'm picking the blues out of the west because they are young, talented, big, physical, can skate and have a coach that can make them play together. Look at how Hitch has overachieved through his career with the talent he has had. Puts Babs to shame in my opinion.

"The Blues are in the driver's seat" has now become an understatement.

In the passenger side are the Predators and the Wings are in the back seat taking a nap!!!

The Wings will be lucky to take fourth seed. Not only will it take Howie about 4 or 5 games to get back at the confidence level he once had but it will take at least 5 games before Datsyuk and Lidstrom are back in form.

Ever since the end of the 23 game win streak it has been like a snowball going downhill. IMHO, the 23 game win streak was a curse.

agreed. I'm picking the blues out of the west because they are young, talented, big, physical, can skate and have a coach that can make them play together. Look at how Hitch has overachieved through his career with the talent he has had. Puts Babs to shame in my opinion.

babcock_addresses_team_194x270.jpg

We can't forget that, can we?

The Blues have had better teams than this in the past, and amounted to jack s***. Every one of you Blues' fans talkin' trash should probably wait until June, after St. Louis wins the last game on the year. Until that happens, nothing your team does will ever really impress any Wings' fans. Win the Division? A Presidents' Trophy? Great, hang a banner... How many are hanging at the Joe? Not a whole lot of Wings' fans even care about the ones that DETROIT has, are we supposed to care because the Blues might win one this year?

Holy s***, and I thought Chicago fans' were cocky after 1 Stanley Cup. At least they got one!

The Blues have had better teams than this in the past, and amounted to jack s***.

That's an opinion...and you are welcome to it.

But one could easily argue that from top to bottom, this is the best Blues team ever assembled.

From coaching, to goaltending, to defense, to offensive depth. The only thing they don't have is an explosive offense with a superstar or two up front...yet they have been scoring at a higher clip lately, so that's promising.

But again, good/great Blues teams of the past have nothing to do with this team except for playing in the same city and being called the Blues. I'm not sure why some like to bring that up. Kind of stinks of desperation during a discussion. The Blues President's trophy team from 12 years ago has nothing at all to do with how well the 2012 team will do.

I'm not predicting anything, because anything can happen, and it often does.

I'm just enjoying the return to respectability, being cautiously optimistic, and hoping for the best.

How can I have an inferiority complex when the team I root for is 1st overall in the NHL? For me to have an inferiority complex, my team would have to actually be inferior to at least one other team. ;)

Well, the season is not over. Sure the Blues are above the Wings now, but how long were the Wings ahead of the Blues? I'm sure if you were to average the games a team lead over the other, the Wings would have the edge on the Blues. It's all relative to how you quantify it.

This is why everyone is calling you a troll and saying you are pretending to get along with everyone, because you throw jabs out there like this acting like you guys are better than everyone else, including the Wings. That is not going to receive a warm welcome around here for obvious reasons.

For the record, I don't have a problem with you being here and you generally are well behaved and have decent input, but I will say, it's annoying to read your posts and you condescending tone, especially on a site we call 'ours'. In other words, your posts are annoying. You come into enemy territory and act all willy nilly, but seriously, what do you expect?

Edited by rrasco

How can I have an inferiority complex when the team I root for is 1st overall in the NHL? For me to have an inferiority complex, my team would have to actually be inferior to at least one other team. ;)

The Wings injuries say you are welcome, btw.

I'd still root for a Wings roster over the Blues. Sue me.

The Wings injuries say you are welcome, btw.

I'd still root for a Wings roster over the Blues. Sue me.

McDonald

Steen

Perron

Langenbrunner

D'Agostini

Arnott

All missed significant time this season due to injury (there are a couple others who missed time as well, but I don't feel like looking it up). Steen, whom at the time he got hurt, was the Blues best player. He's been out for a long time and he's still out, and it's looking more and more like he is done for the season. D'Agostini is still out as well, and probably won't be back either.

We've been hit with injury issues too.

I'll have my lawyer call your lawyer.

McDonald

Steen

Perron

Langenbrunner

D'Agostini

Arnott

All missed significant time this season due to injury (there are a couple others who missed time as well, but I don't feel like looking it up). Steen, whom at the time he got hurt, was the Blues best player. He's been out for a long time and he's still out, and it's looking more and more like he is done for the season. D'Agostini is still out as well, and probably won't be back either.

We've been hit with injury issues too.

I'll have my lawyer call your lawyer.

My point is the Wings were on perfect pace to surpass the Blues and ended up having multiple injuries at the same time to key players in the lineup (three of those being more important than any of those you listed) which allowed for the Blues to sneak past with relative ease.

To act like the injuries to a team that relies on top talent don't make any difference (especially when the entire success of the Blues can be traced to the man behind the players and not the ability of one or two players themselves) is asinine.