• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

I have found from a serious level of depression that nothing gives me joy anymore, but I could distract from my pain.

Now I cannot seem to find any distraction from my pain and I feel very helpless and desperate. I don't have any money for therapy but I really could use something to escape this horrible life I built.

I mean reading, music, movies, tv, activities, they don't do anything for me anymore. I need some sort of idea, does anyone have any idea of what I should do?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I'm not very good at advice, but I'll try.

Maybe you can find a new hobby? Try taking up a new activity that you've never tried before. Get a nice camera (you can get decent ones without breaking the bank) and try photography, or start going for long walks/hikes and enjoying nature. Do you play any sports? Try joining a local baseball team when summer rolls around. :) You could also try joining a volunteer group, like helping out with Habitat for Humanity. Helping other people might help you feel better. :)

Another thing that could help would be to take a vacation. I don't know where you live, but you could go to Florida and just relax on the beach for a week or something. It can help sometimes to just get away from whatever is bothering you for awhile and give you a fresh outlook on life. Even just taking a roadtrip into the next state over or something can help too. Go see a city you've never been to and have a fun weekend. :)

If your job is part of the problem, maybe you can try to find a new career? Go back to school and take classes in something you're really interested in. I know it's outrageously expensive but you might be able to get financial aid. Community Colleges are also cheaper so if there's one nearby that could work better for you than a University.

I don't know if any of that is feasible for you but I hope something works out for you. Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon. <3

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#3 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

I have found from a serious level of depression that nothing gives me joy anymore, but I could distract from my pain.

Now I cannot seem to find any distraction from my pain and I feel very helpless and desperate. I don't have any money for therapy but I really could use something to escape this horrible life I built.

I mean reading, music, movies, tv, activities, they don't do anything for me anymore. I need some sort of idea, does anyone have any idea of what I should do?

To be honest, in terms of activities, that's all it is for some people, and they are fine with it.

Outside of work and taking care of bills/house chores, my hobbies are usually just some combination of exercise, reading, video games, reading the news, watching sports, cooking a new meal every now and then, going out for a dinner/drink in a low-key environment off/on. I rarely go cutting up or staying out until midnight or in the wee hours of the morning out somewhere (nor do I really want to stay out late unless it is with people I really want to be with).

Generally speaking, that's probably not too exciting possibly compared to other people's lives, but it's my life and I'm fine with it. It's my life, my stuff and nobody else's. And it is just me, myself and I. While I certainly have great family and enjoy seeing people obviously I have no spouse, no kids. If this is the worst that's going on, then it is still pretty good and I am still extremely fortunate to be doing these things. Could my life be more exciting or have more experiences or whatever? Without question. Could my life be far worse? No doubt about it. I learn to take joy or value out of this mindset. Am I selling myself short? Could be if you want to view it that way, but I don't like thinking like that and I just enjoy the present.

And to be honest, while I speak only for myself I think a good bit of other people's listings or hobbies would include some form of the same.

There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting more out of life, but you need to learn how to do that while trying to do things to enjoy your present life. If your life doesn't change much for better or worse until then, or stays as it is for the long haul, try to learn to appreciate the simple things in life over and over again. That's how it is with my life with a lot of things, and I'm happy to do them, no matter how repetitive or menial they may be at times.

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

I can offer a few more ideas that have helped me and friends of mine in similar situations.

In focusing more on the aspect of rediscovering joy in life, you really do need to change things up. A long time friend of mine went through depression and drugs at a point in his life and seemed to fall into a hole. Talking on xbox live one night, we decided to start up a fantasy hockey league because neither of us had tried it before. It started off casual and became competitive pretty fast. We both got really involved with it, Hockey led to Baseball, then Football and Basketball. We started watching more hockey games outside of our teams (He's a Devils fan, blah) and suddenly it became a bit of a lifestyle. He quit drinking and everything else because of this new found passion, it became a safe addiction that has turned his life around. I'm not saying go out and become a fantasy sports addict, but finding something that is very involved and social has worked wonders in my experience.

Another suggestion, if you don't have one already, is consider adopting a dog. Not a cat, cats are depressing and that's counterproductive. Pets can bring much joy and change into someone's life, i'm a pet owner and consider them part of the family. Adopting can save the life of an animal and give you a friend for life, and it's something to consider also.

Life is so full of obstacles, and it got to a point in my life where I was anticipating the next bad thing to happen and it was relentless. It still is, but you need to realize at one point that something is going to give, and good things will happen eventually. As hard and difficult as times may seem you always need to maintain a good perspective on life and continue to do what you feel is right. Keep your head up, and I hope something I posted here helps.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Another suggestion, if you don't have one already, is consider adopting a dog. Not a cat, cats are depressing and that's counterproductive. Pets can bring much joy and change into someone's life, i'm a pet owner and consider them part of the family. Adopting can save the life of an animal and give you a friend for life, and it's something to consider also.

Hey! My cat is not depressing. :P

This is another great idea though, and cats can be great pets as well as dogs or fish or birds or whatever other animal you like. :) They can bring you a lot of joy! :)

Edited by wingsgirl001, 06 March 2012 - 03:44 PM.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Talk to a doc about the possibility of antidepressants. I have a lot of family members who have expressed themselves similarly to how you just did. Most are now on antidepressants and those that are feel much more balanced and happier.

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Maj, check back, let us know how you are doing and if things are feeling any better. Haven't seen you posting lately, check in when you can.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users