• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff6851

What do you think needs to be done to fix the PP/PK

Rate this topic

Are the special teams just being lazy? Do we not have the right pairings or the right players? Are they just being too careful on the PP and trying too hard to waste time on the PK? Is it a problem with the coaching?

Since the other thread showed that the vast majority of people here think that special teams are our biggest weakness I'd like to see where people think the problem lies

The powerplay will be better when everyone gets healthy. Getting Hudler off the point was huge. Quincey will play there now, and Jiri will give us another option down low. As for the PK, I don't have any answers.

Edited by kipwinger

Well since Holland could not address this at the deadline, the only thing I can think is to shuffle up the units. Heck give Helm and Abby tops minutes on the PP. I don't think I can think of anything else. Would have been nice to get that sniper, but ether Holland felt the Franzen would show up soon or things were just too expensive...

You can say 13 and 5 but it wasn't clicking before they were injured.

I know we lead the league in points by D men, but often times I feel like guys go back to the point instead of taking it inside and roofing the shot. Perhaps it's become second nature to play catch with the blue line but I would like to see them keep it down low. Just a thought.

It seems like on the PP they are dead set on setting up, or getting it back to the blue line constantly and looking for the Homer tip. It's predictable, and the way every team is blocking shots it's not very effective right now. I think it would be better for the team to start trying to set up on the side, or down low, try to get something to the slot or crash the net. Hudler off the point helps too.

As for the PK I have no idea. :dntknw:

Edited by Redwings-40-5

I'm not sure how this plays into it, but what about the Umbrella system? Isn't that the style that they play with. I think maybe the style that the Red Wings play isn't suitable for the umbrella PP. Now I have no idea what the Umbrella system is. I don't know if it's better or worse than any other style if there is another style. I'm just curious if y'all think this has something to do with it.

Boston's PP is like that. All they do is shoot.

Not a great example, since Boston's PP also sucks.

Edmonton and Vancouver both cycle down low alot. Get the defenders moving around. Nashville plays theirs pretty similar to ours. There isn't really any one thing to fix the PP. Just be smart, patient, quick, work hard...

Same for the PK I suppose. I want to say shot blocking, but LA, Vancouver, and NJ are all near the top in PK and bottom in blocks. Sharks are near the top in blocks but bottom in PK.

We need a shooter the pp reminds me of the pre- shanny wings when no one wanted to shoot. The pk I'm not as worried about but the pp really needs tweaking and I'm really unhappy with the shorties we are giving up.

Edit cuz auto correct sucks

Edited by saven

I have felt that the PK does a pretty good job (compared to the power play)

I think most guys will play hard to get it out of the zone and get it deep. My only complaint is that little finesse pass they sometimes do which always seems to lead to a loss of possession and a shot on our net. Get the puck and hammer it OUT of the zone. No need to get style points...just get it the f out!

I find that our PK is good, probably amongst the best in the league at making it difficult for the other team to gain our zone, and that is when our powerplay is mostly effective, when we quickly clear the puck. Our main problem comes from when the other team actually gets set upp in our zone... sometimes our guys seem to get confused with where they are going and the forwards therefore sometimes take too long to challenge the opposing players quick enough. I think if Babs can stress that point to challlenge the other team quicker and harder, like the Rangers, than that will make our PK better.

As for our powerplay, it is just pathetic. Granted, we have not had Nick or Pavel, but our powerplay was lacking consistency with them too. Simply put, we just need to get back to basics... set up and have different options available. It is good to have Nick available to shoot from the point, but also we need hank to be able to get set up for some one-timers in the slot and stuff like that. A theme of our powerplay is they often have a forward skate towards our left D, pass them the puck and then the D skates walks the line and either takes a shot or passes back to the forward on the left side who will then take a shot. Those seem to be our only plays and its too easy to read. We need to get to basics and have the forwards move around and have different options set up. Also, with the full lineup Babs needs to go back to Pavs and Hank together imo.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer

White- Lidstrom (this powerplay unit has always worked for us in the past so lets use it. Also I want to see less shots from White and more from Nick)

Franzen- Filpulla- Hudler

Quincy- Kronwall (I would play Franzen as the net front presence because in 2008 that is how he got going and scored so many goals for us)

I feel like the book is written on our PP. The oposing teams jam up the high zone when we carry the puck over. The even the other teams defence is cheating. the best way to beat that is to dump it in and cycle low. It will force to be more honest then we can move the puck back to our best PP assets, our defencemen. my .02

I agree with most of the others in saying that we go to the blue line too much on the power play and in a predictable fashion. As most of you have probably noticed most teams are pressuring our D on the power play more and more. I agree with what others have said, that our power play needs to cycle down low, and bring more creative movement. It seems as if the forwards are just setting up in their position on the outside of the pk diamond never freeing themselves up for the good pass or shot. I also think we need to be more creative with our man in front, instead of having someone park their can in front of the goalie and staying there we should cycle, timing our plays so that different players arrive in front of the goalie just before the shot. cycle, cycle, cycle find your opening then crash the net. Lately I have been cringing every time we get a powerplay! it seems we loose all our momentum every time we draw a penalty. I am happy with the PK

Edited by bentcobra

I like the responses saying that once everyone is healthy the PP will be great, or we just need Lids and Pav back and it'll click like it has in past years.

This ignores the fact that the Wings PP still sucked this year before they got injured, in fact this years Wings PP is the worst in recent memory.