• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff6851

What do you think needs to be done to fix the PP/PK

Rate this topic

I like the responses saying that once everyone is healthy the PP will be great, or we just need Lids and Pav back and it'll click like it has in past years.

This ignores the fact that the Wings PP still sucked this year before they got injured, in fact this years Wings PP is the worst in recent memory.

I like the responses that fail to see that the return of Lidstrom and Pav and the addition of Quincey on the powerplay makes a ton of difference, considering he's been a point on a top power play and is clearly more well suited for that job than Hudler, whose addition to the second power play unit along the half boards is also likely to increase that units effectiveness considering if you take all the end to end skating and defense out of the game (which a power play essentially does) he's actually a really good player.

The Power Play is aabout as predictable as the sun coming up each day. That fallowed by the fact when they do get it past the wall of defenders at the blue line our wingers usually lose the battle in the corners. The big shot from the point fallowed by the Homer tip in, is getting old. Every team in the league knows this is the plan. So what needs to happen to fix it? I think Babcock and co. need to come up with a new system or new style of attack on the PP. We need a Brett Hull looking for open ice for a big shot from the circles as well as going to the point. The best PP is the ablility of having lots of options. Shoot the freeking puck would be a start.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Rafalski's absence is big. He made a lot of blunders defensively, but offensively, he had great vision, was a terrific passer with a good shot.

White is a good 2nd pairing d-man, but he's no Rafalski, and isn't really a top pairing guy. He's having a solid season because he's playing with Lidstrom more than anything.

The powerplay misses Rafalski.

How have we not blamed Peters and Blashill yet? Wings forums were pretty rough on McCrimmon (RIP). I guess it's because the 5 on 5 play has been better this year.

Hmm... What if they both took a page out of Tortorella's book?

"What is the remedy?... Play f***in' harder."

Guest Crymson

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Rafalski's absence is big. He made a lot of blunders defensively, but offensively, he had great vision, was a terrific passer with a good shot.

White is a good 2nd pairing d-man, but he's no Rafalski, and isn't really a top pairing guy. He's having a solid season because he's playing with Lidstrom more than anything.

The powerplay misses Rafalski.

Yet people were complaining about the PP last year also, and the team is scoring more goals this year than last.

Attributing White's play entirely to Lidstrom's presence is silly. He's doing well because he's doing well, and he's certainly better defensively than Rafalski was.

Guest stinky fish taco

PP%: 16.6%

SHGA: 9

anyone really think that's going to get it done in the playoffs?

I feel like the book is written on our PP. The oposing teams jam up the high zone when we carry the puck over. The even the other teams defence is cheating. the best way to beat that is to dump it in and cycle low. It will force to be more honest then we can move the puck back to our best PP assets, our defencemen. my .02

Agreed. I see a lot more opposing teams 4 wide across their blue line as the wings try to enter the zone. They are sucessful in entry less than half the time (my estimate). The times they do gain entry there is no support and a scramble occurs where there may be a shot or there may be a clear. The wings need to change it up. Dump it in and crash on the forecheck. Most PP goals are scored when the opposing team is scrambling. Passing the puck rythmically around the outside allows for easy defensive coverage.

If Babs is saying that our PP is disorganized. I don't like the souund of that especially if the case come playoffs. If we are to win on the road our PP needs to contribute instead of giving up shorthanded goals. I think we lead the league in shorthanded goals against? Either way something's gotta give on our PP and hopefully soon...

And why do you think this thread exists? To celebrate? Way to hammer the nail through the board.

That is why I made the thread though!! :P

Really though preventing shorties is part of fixing the PP. Scoring on the PP would also prevent them.

Agreed. I see a lot more opposing teams 4 wide across their blue line as the wings try to enter the zone. They are sucessful in entry less than half the time (my estimate). The times they do gain entry there is no support and a scramble occurs where there may be a shot or there may be a clear. The wings need to change it up. Dump it in and crash on the forecheck. Most PP goals are scored when the opposing team is scrambling. Passing the puck rythmically around the outside allows for easy defensive coverage.

I've noticed that as well. With that kind of coverage you can't just skate it in, throw it in and have a guy like Helm, Flip or Mursak go after it. Defense will race for the puck but with our guys having more momentum they could get to it first and start setting up for a shot or take a shot or two

There's one thing I absolutely hate about our power play. More often than not we spend a minimum of thirty seconds cycling the puck. Just passing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth waiting for the perfect opportunity to shoot. Maybe I just prefer a different style of hockey but if it were up to me I would throw the puck on the net as often as possible. At least when you shoot at the net it generates a chance to score. Not always a good chance, but a chance none the less. I at least prefer to have the chance rather than spending all two minutes just passing the puck around getting a total of two shots in what should be two minutes of free offense.

Oh that and then there are just those power plays where it seems like WE are the ones down a man. But that's a whole different animal.

I think the big thing is the entry. Anytime we try to get in we either lose the puck while trying to walk in, or we lose it during the set up. I wonder if we should just give our 4 lines a chance at the PP and see who's willing to step up, or even take a page out of Brent Sutter's book and play 5 d-men on the PP.

As for the PK... I think we just need to be more aggressive... but I think if we solve the problem with one of the special teams, we'll find the answer to the other.