• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have felt that the PK does a pretty good job (compared to the power play)
I think most guys will play hard to get it out of the zone and get it deep. My only complaint is that little finesse pass they sometimes do which always seems to lead to a loss of possession and a shot on our net. Get the puck and hammer it OUT of the zone. No need to get style points...just get it the f out!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#22 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I find that our PK is good, probably amongst the best in the league at making it difficult for the other team to gain our zone, and that is when our powerplay is mostly effective, when we quickly clear the puck. Our main problem comes from when the other team actually gets set upp in our zone... sometimes our guys seem to get confused with where they are going and the forwards therefore sometimes take too long to challenge the opposing players quick enough. I think if Babs can stress that point to challlenge the other team quicker and harder, like the Rangers, than that will make our PK better.

As for our powerplay, it is just pathetic. Granted, we have not had Nick or Pavel, but our powerplay was lacking consistency with them too. Simply put, we just need to get back to basics... set up and have different options available. It is good to have Nick available to shoot from the point, but also we need hank to be able to get set up for some one-timers in the slot and stuff like that. A theme of our powerplay is they often have a forward skate towards our left D, pass them the puck and then the D skates walks the line and either takes a shot or passes back to the forward on the left side who will then take a shot. Those seem to be our only plays and its too easy to read. We need to get to basics and have the forwards move around and have different options set up. Also, with the full lineup Babs needs to go back to Pavs and Hank together imo.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer
White- Lidstrom (this powerplay unit has always worked for us in the past so lets use it. Also I want to see less shots from White and more from Nick)

Franzen- Filpulla- Hudler
Quincy- Kronwall (I would play Franzen as the net front presence because in 2008 that is how he got going and scored so many goals for us)

#23 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I feel like the book is written on our PP. The oposing teams jam up the high zone when we carry the puck over. The even the other teams defence is cheating. the best way to beat that is to dump it in and cycle low. It will force to be more honest then we can move the puck back to our best PP assets, our defencemen. my .02
"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#24 bentcobra

bentcobra

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I agree with most of the others in saying that we go to the blue line too much on the power play and in a predictable fashion. As most of you have probably noticed most teams are pressuring our D on the power play more and more. I agree with what others have said, that our power play needs to cycle down low, and bring more creative movement. It seems as if the forwards are just setting up in their position on the outside of the pk diamond never freeing themselves up for the good pass or shot. I also think we need to be more creative with our man in front, instead of having someone park their can in front of the goalie and staying there we should cycle, timing our plays so that different players arrive in front of the goalie just before the shot. cycle, cycle, cycle find your opening then crash the net. Lately I have been cringing every time we get a powerplay! it seems we loose all our momentum every time we draw a penalty. I am happy with the PK

Edited by bentcobra, 06 March 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#25 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I like the responses saying that once everyone is healthy the PP will be great, or we just need Lids and Pav back and it'll click like it has in past years.

This ignores the fact that the Wings PP still sucked this year before they got injured, in fact this years Wings PP is the worst in recent memory.

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I like the responses saying that once everyone is healthy the PP will be great, or we just need Lids and Pav back and it'll click like it has in past years.

This ignores the fact that the Wings PP still sucked this year before they got injured, in fact this years Wings PP is the worst in recent memory.

I like the responses that fail to see that the return of Lidstrom and Pav and the addition of Quincey on the powerplay makes a ton of difference, considering he's been a point on a top power play and is clearly more well suited for that job than Hudler, whose addition to the second power play unit along the half boards is also likely to increase that units effectiveness considering if you take all the end to end skating and defense out of the game (which a power play essentially does) he's actually a really good player.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

The Power Play is aabout as predictable as the sun coming up each day. That fallowed by the fact when they do get it past the wall of defenders at the blue line our wingers usually lose the battle in the corners. The big shot from the point fallowed by the Homer tip in, is getting old. Every team in the league knows this is the plan. So what needs to happen to fix it? I think Babcock and co. need to come up with a new system or new style of attack on the PP. We need a Brett Hull looking for open ice for a big shot from the circles as well as going to the point. The best PP is the ablility of having lots of options. Shoot the freeking puck would be a start.

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

The PK has been excellent lately. 90%+ over the past ten games.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Rafalski's absence is big. He made a lot of blunders defensively, but offensively, he had great vision, was a terrific passer with a good shot.

White is a good 2nd pairing d-man, but he's no Rafalski, and isn't really a top pairing guy. He's having a solid season because he's playing with Lidstrom more than anything.

The powerplay misses Rafalski.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

To help the PP and PK, Datsyuk and Lidstrom need to come back.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

How have we not blamed Peters and Blashill yet? Wings forums were pretty rough on McCrimmon (RIP). I guess it's because the 5 on 5 play has been better this year.

Hmm... What if they both took a page out of Tortorella's book?

"What is the remedy?... Play f***in' harder."

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Rafalski's absence is big. He made a lot of blunders defensively, but offensively, he had great vision, was a terrific passer with a good shot.

White is a good 2nd pairing d-man, but he's no Rafalski, and isn't really a top pairing guy. He's having a solid season because he's playing with Lidstrom more than anything.

The powerplay misses Rafalski.

Yet people were complaining about the PP last year also, and the team is scoring more goals this year than last.

Attributing White's play entirely to Lidstrom's presence is silly. He's doing well because he's doing well, and he's certainly better defensively than Rafalski was.

#33 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

PP%: 16.6%
SHGA: 9

anyone really think that's going to get it done in the playoffs?

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#34 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Stop giving up sh goals :ph34r:
Really though, I think sometimes the Wings just get too cute on the pp. Passes that are in tight areas and the other team just picks it off. More shots would be good
IPB Image

#35 SidAbelsSon

SidAbelsSon

Rookie

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I feel like the book is written on our PP. The oposing teams jam up the high zone when we carry the puck over. The even the other teams defence is cheating. the best way to beat that is to dump it in and cycle low. It will force to be more honest then we can move the puck back to our best PP assets, our defencemen. my .02

Agreed. I see a lot more opposing teams 4 wide across their blue line as the wings try to enter the zone. They are sucessful in entry less than half the time (my estimate). The times they do gain entry there is no support and a scramble occurs where there may be a shot or there may be a clear. The wings need to change it up. Dump it in and crash on the forecheck. Most PP goals are scored when the opposing team is scrambling. Passing the puck rythmically around the outside allows for easy defensive coverage.

#36 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

If Babs is saying that our PP is disorganized. I don't like the souund of that especially if the case come playoffs. If we are to win on the road our PP needs to contribute instead of giving up shorthanded goals. I think we lead the league in shorthanded goals against? Either way something's gotta give on our PP and hopefully soon...

#37 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

PP%: 16.6%
SHGA: 9

anyone really think that's going to get it done in the playoffs?

And why do you think this thread exists? To celebrate? Way to hammer the nail through the board.

Edited by rick zombo, 08 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#38 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

And why do you think this thread exists? To celebrate? Way to hammer the nail through the board.

That is why I made the thread though!! :P

Really though preventing shorties is part of fixing the PP. Scoring on the PP would also prevent them.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#39 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

homer been slacking on pp

Edited by brett, 08 March 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#40 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Agreed. I see a lot more opposing teams 4 wide across their blue line as the wings try to enter the zone. They are sucessful in entry less than half the time (my estimate). The times they do gain entry there is no support and a scramble occurs where there may be a shot or there may be a clear. The wings need to change it up. Dump it in and crash on the forecheck. Most PP goals are scored when the opposing team is scrambling. Passing the puck rythmically around the outside allows for easy defensive coverage.

I've noticed that as well. With that kind of coverage you can't just skate it in, throw it in and have a guy like Helm, Flip or Mursak go after it. Defense will race for the puck but with our guys having more momentum they could get to it first and start setting up for a shot or take a shot or two
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."