• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

There's one thing I absolutely hate about our power play. More often than not we spend a minimum of thirty seconds cycling the puck. Just passing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth waiting for the perfect opportunity to shoot. Maybe I just prefer a different style of hockey but if it were up to me I would throw the puck on the net as often as possible. At least when you shoot at the net it generates a chance to score. Not always a good chance, but a chance none the less. I at least prefer to have the chance rather than spending all two minutes just passing the puck around getting a total of two shots in what should be two minutes of free offense.

Oh that and then there are just those power plays where it seems like WE are the ones down a man. But that's a whole different animal.

#42 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Has a middle of the pack PP and PK just suddenly become top 10 or top 5 in the playoffs? Has a team ever done anything like that?

#43 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

The most obvious thing to help the 2nd powerplay unit... TAKE CLEARY OFF OF IT! Also they just need to shoot the puck more and quit trying fancy plays where they lose the puck and have to go get it and restart their approach.

#44 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I think the big thing is the entry. Anytime we try to get in we either lose the puck while trying to walk in, or we lose it during the set up. I wonder if we should just give our 4 lines a chance at the PP and see who's willing to step up, or even take a page out of Brent Sutter's book and play 5 d-men on the PP.

As for the PK... I think we just need to be more aggressive... but I think if we solve the problem with one of the special teams, we'll find the answer to the other.

#45 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I highly doubt that.... the REd Wings have had one of the best powerplays the past 3 years but in all 3 years have had a s***ty PK...