• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Shameful and embarrassing that Detroit fans would do this.

Dearborn city councilman attacked outside Red Wings game

A Dearborn city councilman will miss tonight's State of the City address after being assaulted Sunday evening outside Joe Louis Arena.

Robert Abraham, who has served on the City Council since 2002, was attacked after the Red Wings game against the Chicago Blackhawks because the suspect took issue with friends of Abraham's son wearing Blackhawks gear.

Abraham's 22-year-old son is a senior at Loyola University in Chicago and came home to see the game with two friends from college.

"This one gentleman took exception to the Blackhawks jersey my son's friends were wearing and became very aggressive," Abraham said Monday evening, adding he tried to calm the man down. "He just couldn't let it go, and before I knew it I was on (my) back."

Abraham's wife and 14-year-old daughter were waiting on Jefferson Avenue to pick up the group. The assault happened about 10 feet from the car, he said.

"It was very frightening because you have no control. My daughter was terrified," said Mary Ann Abraham, Robert's wife. "I am sorry I didn't get the license plate of the vehicle, but I was more concerned with getting out of the area."

Mary Ann drove to Henry Ford Hospital where the councilman underwent a CT scan. He didn't break any bones, but has bruises and cuts on his face and needed four stitches to cover a wound near his eye.

"I'm a little sore and bruised and battered, but overall I'm going to be OK so I'm thankful for that," he said. "I guess that was the fortunate part, I was trying to prevent anything from happening to the boys. Unfortunately, it happened to me."

Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens said officers are looking for witnesses of the incident and hoping surveillance video footage can uncover some clues.

"It's still being investigating," Stephens said. "We're still looking into it."

Abraham said he was toying with the idea of attending tonight's State of the City address, but he's "not feeling as hot" as he was earlier in the afternoon.

"As the day goes on, it kind of wears on you," he said.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

dammit.

there are idiots everywhere, but i hate when something like this happens in detroit because it gives folks a reason to beat up on the city even more.

glad he's ok.
Posted Image

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

I didn't do it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I didn't do it.

That's exactly what someone who did it would say.

Posted Image

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

This is all GMR's fault.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hopefully, the "fans" who were responsible will be caught and dealt with accordingly, starting with being banned from Red Wings games for life.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

GMR are you ready to be banned from Red Wings games for life??

#8 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

GMR are you ready to be banned from Red Wings games for life??

Lol really? Lighten up. This kind of stuff happens in sports. It sucks when it happens in your city but there is nothing you can do about it. Hope he gets caught and move on.

#9 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Lol really? Lighten up. This kind of stuff happens in sports. It sucks when it happens in your city but there is nothing you can do about it. Hope he gets caught and move on.

Not sure what you mean by lighten up. An innocent man got beaten, and his wife and young daughter had to see, no less. WTF is wrong with people.

#10 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I disagree. The ******* who did this, if its on security cameras or whatnot...and assuming he even went to the game, should be banned. What an embarrassment to Wings Nation...that guy isn't one of us, so he can stop pretending to be while at JLA, at least.

This is the kind of garbage that Hawks fans would try to blame on us.....HMMMM!!! :o

#11 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

How do we know the incident was caught on surveillance cameras?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

I disagree. The ******* who did this, if its on security cameras or whatnot...and assuming he even went to the game, should be banned. What an embarrassment to Wings Nation...that guy isn't one of us, so he can stop pretending to be while at JLA, at least.

This is the kind of garbage that Hawks fans would try to blame on us.....HMMMM!!! :o

What you said.

And for the 2nd part, Chicago fans aren't exactly angels either when it comes to Detroit fans visiting United Center.

#13 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

That's unfortunate this happened to them...but what the hell was he wearing Chicago gear for...silly kids.

#14 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

That's unfortunate this happened to them...but what the hell was he wearing Chicago gear for...silly kids.

I assume you're kidding, but i won't wear Wings gear when I go to see them in Vancouver. As a matter of fact,when i got my new truck, I purposefully left the Wings decal off that I usually fly, because I cross the border into BC a lot and there are too many idiots up there and I don't need the hassle.

#15 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Because when fans go to see "their" team play, they'll often wear "their" team's apparel?

#16 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Always prided myself that I'm a fan of a team where the away-fan beatings don't happen. Really sad to see I've been proven wrong.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#17 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

This kind of stuff has no place in the game whatsoever. I've always found it nice to talk to opposing fans and of course jab a little bit at them in good fun. It's only hockey for peep's sake.

Edited by FinWing, 06 March 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Thank You TeeMan

#18 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Just further proof that idiots are part of every group. Rush Limbaugh doesn't speak for all conservatives. Just like these idiots who assaulted the councilman do not represent Red Wings fans as a whole. Yet, some people will be happy to look at this story and say that Wings fans are classy. Hell, we have seen it on these very forums. Remember when Vancouver rioted after they lost the cup in game 7? Everyone here was pointing at Canuck fans and saying they were classy.

The behavior of a select few idiots is not representative of the entire fan base. The sooner we all learn that, the better. No fanbase is without idiots, so we really shouldn't cast stones when we see stories of other idiots doing something and say their fanbase is crap because of it.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#19 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

I thought Detroit fans were better than this. Of course you're going to have them everywhere. Really hope that he's caught because there is NO excuse for behavior like this, a fan is allowed to support their team no matter where they are.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#20 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

That sucks, but holy s*** some of you are so over emotional. It sucks but these things happen ALL the time in sports, it's f'n stupid someone would fight over a sports team (considering none of us actually play for them)but EVERY city and majority of popular sports have s*** like this happen. Plus we are only hearing one side of the story, not that I'm saying he's lying (most likely is very accurate, compared to whoever did this justification). But it would be interesting to actually see this go down, as in did he say something back, or make some sort of action that set these guys off. Or were the guys just drunk assholes that you see outside South U on a Saturday night.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s