• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Dearborn councilman assaulted outside JLA

Rate this topic

Guest The Production Line

I doubt this idiot ran up to the councilman and punched him unprovoked. I'm sure there was an exchange of words, which I would be curious to know what was said. After all, we are talking about college kids, sports, and, most likely, alcohol.

I doubt this idiot ran up to the councilman and punched him unprovoked. I'm sure there was an exchange of words, which I would be curious to know what was said. After all, we are talking about college kids, sports, and, most likely, alcohol.

I get your point, however, IMO, whatever the circumstances...be it a sports, opposing teams jersey, words exchanged, college kids, and/or alcohol...no one has the right to put their hands on another human being. All of the listed factors are what is great about our country...you can say, wear, be whatever age, and consume alcoholic beverages (if you're of legal age) without being physically assaulted. I understand that someone getting trashed and running their mouth increases these chances of something bad happening, but it doesn't make it right. This situation totally sucks.

Unacceptable. I don't understand why you would attack someone just for what they're wearing. Don't get me wrong, I've been to games at the Joe where there was one ******* who I really wanted to watch get a beer poured on himself, but I'm not gonna attack anyone for what team they root for.

I've been attacked at Michigan Stadium before for being a Buckeye. And I've also been treated with amazing hospitality at the same place. It happens the same way down here too. You really can't do too much about it, except to diffuse the situation if you see it happening.

Full disclosure, I have beaten the hell out of a Blackhawks fan before. But he was a friend and roommate and liked getting his ass kicked for some reason.

I tried to chirp at someone after the game waiting for the nemo's bus (nothing physical).

I was ripping on some dude for wearing an andrew ladd jersey. then when he replied "well this jersey is from when we won the cup," I realized I was way too drunk to be witty/chirpin.

how could I forget the "one and done" line?!?

:(

just be a wings fan at a hawks game, you get constantly badgered from the time you walk in to the time you leave. I saw a wings fan get hammered into a garbage can by 2 hawks fans one time at the UC. I also have seen a wings fan get decked for celebrating a goal. I just deal with it, they probably said something to warrant getting "knocked down". Funny how the guy just says "and then i was on the ground like it he got koed or something, what a wuss.

Edited by jollymania

Pretty sad when this sort of thing happens. It really detracts from fan expression among all teams.

I'm guilty of not wearing my red and white to pubs in vancouver when we play. I just can't trust people to not start s*** with me when I'm there.

It's an unfortunate reality these days that we all need some sort of self-defense training. I hope he's ok, and that the guys who did this are caught.

I also hope that the college "kids" who watched this happen will learn to step up to the plate and defend dad when he gets the tar beaten out of him. Not that I expect everyone to jump someone. Just perhaps to help restrain the bad guy would be nice.

Always prided myself that I'm a fan of a team where the away-fan beatings don't happen. Really sad to see I've been proven wrong.

In reality, altercations like this are pretty common in all pro sports and for all teams. You just don't hear about them on the news because they usually don't involve city councilmen.

The sad thing is this goes on a lot more then it is ever reported. My wife and I and our two young sons are huge Red Wing fans from Manitoba. My wife and I have traveled to Minneapolis and to Edmonton to watch the Wings. We wear our Wings jerseys and we act very respectful when there. We have been chipped at a bit but that is about as far as it has gone. However my boys are getting to an age (4and6) where I really want to take them to a game but I am scared of some idiot scaring my kids. Hard to teach your kids to be good fans and sports when some drunk ******* scares the crap out of them.

I got beaked pretty bad in Vancouver for the game on December 21st this past year. Most of it was fine and a couple of the guys who were making jokes ended up buying my drinks even but some of their fans were ridiculous. After the game one guy was following my friend and I and just yelling the most vulgar comments to me until some other Van fans grabbed him and made him stop. So it does happen at every arena, I think I would have had a lot harder time if I weren't a girl because I did see two guys that looked like they were gonna fight some of the wings fans there. It's a shame when a few assholes make everyone look bad.

Went to Ottawa for their home opener a few years ago and there were tons of Wings fans. Ottawa got off to a quick lead, and I had a few guys chirping at me. Nothing too bad. I merely told them "Your rafters seem a little emptier than those at the Joe". They didn't have much to say after that. Tons of other Wings fans chimed in along with me. Detroit ended up winning 3-2 and I made sure to give them the business after the game was over.

Little stuff like that happens at every building. People getting beat up because of the gear they're wearing is an outrage.

I love what he said about not thinking this would happen in Detroit, but would never wear a Wings jersey in Chicago.

This is my sentiment on it:

With all the times you can hear 20k worth of people yelling Detroit sucks at their arena you just know there is some sort of ill will. 20k worth of people screaming something stupid like that means likely a small percentage of drunkards will attack someone.

I am not at all surprised that an escalation has occurred. I am not justifying it or making excuses. I have never felt the need to berate a team or a city because of a sporting event. I hate when Chicago fans just chant something dumb like that, and I generally welcome 98% of all fans into our building and only get upset when they act a fool.

Assuming this kid didn't act dumb, which there is no indication he did. I would put everything on the attackers and it might be because of any number of run ins with Chicago fans in the past or ill will combined with booze. Again, there is nothing to justify it. I just wish everyone in all cities would just confine all the emotions of the game to the game itself.

If you need to blow off steam, come to a message board and collect -1's. :D