• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Damned idiot(s). :ranting: I hope they get busted ASAP.

The sad thing is people tend to paint their opinions of other fan bases with a wide brush. Not all, or even a majority, of Vancouver fans rioted after the SCF. It was a very small minority. I'll bet almost all Flyers' fans were appalled at the recent assault on the Rangers' fan.

I would hope that most people realize that. Detroit doesn't need, or deserve, the negative publicity.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 06 March 2012 - 10:15 AM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#22 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

That sucks, but holy s*** some of you are so over emotional. It sucks but these things happen ALL the time in sports, it's f'n stupid someone would fight over a sports team (considering none of us actually play for them)but EVERY city and majority of popular sports have s*** like this happen. Plus we are only hearing one side of the story, not that I'm saying he's lying (most likely is very accurate, compared to whoever did this justification). But it would be interesting to actually see this go down, as in did he say something back, or make some sort of action that set these guys off. Or were the guys just drunk assholes that you see outside South U on a Saturday night.

Who beats up a man who is with his kids? That's not being over emotional.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#23 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Way overboard...

Only kind of harassment I gave a fan back in 2008 when we played Colorado in the playoffs is when we were in the elevator from Cobo rooftop and she was from Ohio and had a Roy jersey on...

I did ask the crowd in the elevator if anyone had some soap as she had some crap on the back of her jersey (Roy's name and number)...

Another guy in the crowd said he was surprised someone from Ohio actually spelled Roy correctly which I thought wasn't right...

All were implied jokes and we all laughed, but some can be crossing the line...

Edited by Rivalred, 06 March 2012 - 11:37 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

That's unfortunate this happened to them...but what the hell was he wearing Chicago gear for...silly kids.

Because he's a Hawks fan I'm guessing? Just like Wings fans do in Phoenix, and pretty much every other arena in Canada and the U.S.

That sucks, but holy s*** some of you are so over emotional. It sucks but these things happen ALL the time in sports, it's f'n stupid someone would fight over a sports team (considering none of us actually play for them)but EVERY city and majority of popular sports have s*** like this happen. Plus we are only hearing one side of the story, not that I'm saying he's lying (most likely is very accurate, compared to whoever did this justification). But it would be interesting to actually see this go down, as in did he say something back, or make some sort of action that set these guys off. Or were the guys just drunk assholes that you see outside South U on a Saturday night.

Who's getting emotional about it?

Talking about how unfortunate it is doesn't mean we're curled up in bed in the fetal position whimpering about it.

#25 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Maybe the guys just didn't like Abraham's policies.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#26 The Production Line

The Production Line

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

I doubt this idiot ran up to the councilman and punched him unprovoked. I'm sure there was an exchange of words, which I would be curious to know what was said. After all, we are talking about college kids, sports, and, most likely, alcohol.

#27 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I doubt this idiot ran up to the councilman and punched him unprovoked. I'm sure there was an exchange of words, which I would be curious to know what was said. After all, we are talking about college kids, sports, and, most likely, alcohol.

I get your point, however, IMO, whatever the circumstances...be it a sports, opposing teams jersey, words exchanged, college kids, and/or alcohol...no one has the right to put their hands on another human being. All of the listed factors are what is great about our country...you can say, wear, be whatever age, and consume alcoholic beverages (if you're of legal age) without being physically assaulted. I understand that someone getting trashed and running their mouth increases these chances of something bad happening, but it doesn't make it right. This situation totally sucks.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#28 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Unacceptable. I don't understand why you would attack someone just for what they're wearing. Don't get me wrong, I've been to games at the Joe where there was one ******* who I really wanted to watch get a beer poured on himself, but I'm not gonna attack anyone for what team they root for.

I've been attacked at Michigan Stadium before for being a Buckeye. And I've also been treated with amazing hospitality at the same place. It happens the same way down here too. You really can't do too much about it, except to diffuse the situation if you see it happening.

Full disclosure, I have beaten the hell out of a Blackhawks fan before. But he was a friend and roommate and liked getting his ass kicked for some reason.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#29 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I tried to chirp at someone after the game waiting for the nemo's bus (nothing physical).

I was ripping on some dude for wearing an andrew ladd jersey. then when he replied "well this jersey is from when we won the cup," I realized I was way too drunk to be witty/chirpin.

how could I forget the "one and done" line?!?

:(
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#30 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

just be a wings fan at a hawks game, you get constantly badgered from the time you walk in to the time you leave. I saw a wings fan get hammered into a garbage can by 2 hawks fans one time at the UC. I also have seen a wings fan get decked for celebrating a goal. I just deal with it, they probably said something to warrant getting "knocked down". Funny how the guy just says "and then i was on the ground like it he got koed or something, what a wuss.

Edited by jollymania, 06 March 2012 - 02:19 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#31 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Pretty sad when this sort of thing happens. It really detracts from fan expression among all teams.

I'm guilty of not wearing my red and white to pubs in vancouver when we play. I just can't trust people to not start s*** with me when I'm there.

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

It's an unfortunate reality these days that we all need some sort of self-defense training. I hope he's ok, and that the guys who did this are caught.

I also hope that the college "kids" who watched this happen will learn to step up to the plate and defend dad when he gets the tar beaten out of him. Not that I expect everyone to jump someone. Just perhaps to help restrain the bad guy would be nice.

#33 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Always prided myself that I'm a fan of a team where the away-fan beatings don't happen. Really sad to see I've been proven wrong.

In reality, altercations like this are pretty common in all pro sports and for all teams. You just don't hear about them on the news because they usually don't involve city councilmen.

#34 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

they probably said something to warrant getting "knocked down". Funny how the guy just says "and then i was on the ground like it he got koed or something, what a wuss.

Yeah, that's f***in hilarious. You're an idiot.

#35 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

The sad thing is this goes on a lot more then it is ever reported. My wife and I and our two young sons are huge Red Wing fans from Manitoba. My wife and I have traveled to Minneapolis and to Edmonton to watch the Wings. We wear our Wings jerseys and we act very respectful when there. We have been chipped at a bit but that is about as far as it has gone. However my boys are getting to an age (4and6) where I really want to take them to a game but I am scared of some idiot scaring my kids. Hard to teach your kids to be good fans and sports when some drunk ******* scares the crap out of them.

#36 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I got beaked pretty bad in Vancouver for the game on December 21st this past year. Most of it was fine and a couple of the guys who were making jokes ended up buying my drinks even but some of their fans were ridiculous. After the game one guy was following my friend and I and just yelling the most vulgar comments to me until some other Van fans grabbed him and made him stop. So it does happen at every arena, I think I would have had a lot harder time if I weren't a girl because I did see two guys that looked like they were gonna fight some of the wings fans there. It's a shame when a few assholes make everyone look bad.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#37 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, that's f***in hilarious. You're an idiot.

it is because i guarantee that isn't what happened
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#38 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

This is sad. Fellow Wings fans, do not let this happen.

#39 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

Went to Ottawa for their home opener a few years ago and there were tons of Wings fans. Ottawa got off to a quick lead, and I had a few guys chirping at me. Nothing too bad. I merely told them "Your rafters seem a little emptier than those at the Joe". They didn't have much to say after that. Tons of other Wings fans chimed in along with me. Detroit ended up winning 3-2 and I made sure to give them the business after the game was over.

Little stuff like that happens at every building. People getting beat up because of the gear they're wearing is an outrage.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#40 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I love what he said about not thinking this would happen in Detroit, but would never wear a Wings jersey in Chicago.

This is my sentiment on it:

With all the times you can hear 20k worth of people yelling Detroit sucks at their arena you just know there is some sort of ill will. 20k worth of people screaming something stupid like that means likely a small percentage of drunkards will attack someone.

I am not at all surprised that an escalation has occurred. I am not justifying it or making excuses. I have never felt the need to berate a team or a city because of a sporting event. I hate when Chicago fans just chant something dumb like that, and I generally welcome 98% of all fans into our building and only get upset when they act a fool.

Assuming this kid didn't act dumb, which there is no indication he did. I would put everything on the attackers and it might be because of any number of run ins with Chicago fans in the past or ill will combined with booze. Again, there is nothing to justify it. I just wish everyone in all cities would just confine all the emotions of the game to the game itself.

If you need to blow off steam, come to a message board and collect -1's. :D
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.