• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Turco signs in Boston

Rate this topic

BOSTON — The Boston Bruins have signed goalie Marty Turco to a one-year deal.

The former Dallas and Chicago netminder needs to clear waivers before he can join the defending Stanley Cup champions. The Bruins need a backup for Tim Thomas because Tuukka Rask was injured on Saturday.

The Bruins said today that Rask has a lower abdomen/groin strain and will be out four to six weeks.

If Turco clears waivers, he will join the Bruins on Wednesday. Turco won’t be eligible for the playoffs because he was signed after last week’s NHL trade deadline.

Turco, 36, the former Michigan goalie, has a 273-165-43 record with a .910 save percentage, a 2.35 goals-against average and 41 shutouts in his career.

Looks like the B's signed Turco, due to Rask going down with a groin injury. I'm sure its just for insurance but yikes, Turco the best option?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=620665

Two days after being forced to leave during the second period of a 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders at TD Garden, the Boston Bruins learned they will be without goaltender Tuukka Rask for the next month. "Tuukka Rask sustained a lower abdomen strain/groin strain and will be sidelined 4-6 weeks," Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a statement released by the club Monday night. With Rask (11-8-3, 2.05 goals-against average, .929 save percentage) gone for the foreseeable future, the Bruins signed veteran goaltender Marty Turco to a one-year contract. Turco must clear waivers before joining the club. Turco, 36, has played in 538 regular season games with the Dallas Stars and Chicago Blackhawks. In his NHL career, he owns a 273-165-26-40 record with a .910 save percentage, 2.35 GAA and 41 shutouts.Turco has played in 47 postseason contests – all with Dallas – compiling a record of 21-26 with a 2.17 GAA and .914 save percentage and seven shutouts.

Is it just me, or did Turco fall off the curve pretty sharply? I remember he was considered a top goalie once upon a time, and overnight people started throwing him around like a bag of pucks. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Is it just me, or did Turco fall off the curve pretty sharply? I remember he was considered a top goalie once upon a time, and overnight people started throwing him around like a bag of pucks. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I feel the same way. I am probably going to get stoned to death for saying this but there was a time I wanted him in the winged wheel. He was elite for a little while and then he pretty much turned into a horrible goalie. I don't see him starting much in Boston. Thomas will probably ride the pine most of the way.

Odd technicality that I wasn't aware of....Turco will be ineligible for postseason play, due to being signed after the trade deadline. Rask better get well quick...

I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that we could Garth Snow the Bruins here.

If Howard's injury is any sort of severe we could steal him right now off of waivers. I don't know if I would want that, considering how much it pissed me off when the islanders did it.

I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that we could Garth Snow the Bruins here.

If Howard's injury is any sort of severe we could steal him right now off of waivers. I don't know if I would want that, considering how much it pissed me off when the islanders did it.

The big difference here is that Nabokov was worth signing. Turco is not. I like Marty Turco, don't get me wrong, but he hasn't had a meaningful season since 2007-2008 when he had a 2.32 GAA in the regular season and a 2.08 GAA in the playoffs. Hell, he was the primary reason the Stars were in the series against the Wings. Since then though, he hasn't been worth much. Especially last season when he sucked for the Hawks.

Look at other goalies who were given chances in the past and failed, but played well later. Joey MacDonald is a guy who used to play in the NHL, but didn't do so hot. Now he is hot again. You never know if Turco is going to return to form or not. Boston apparently feels that he is worth the risk for 4-6 weeks while Rask heals up.

I feel the same way. I am probably going to get stoned to death for saying this but there was a time I wanted him in the winged wheel. He was elite for a little while and then he pretty much turned into a horrible goalie. I don't see him starting much in Boston. Thomas will probably ride the pine most of the way.

Riding the pine is a dysphemism (I had to look up the opposite of a euphemism) for sitting on the bench.

It appears that hybrid goalies don't have that much staying power in today's NHL. I believe this is due to several factors. It is harder to be a hybrid goalie because it is more reactionary than playing a positionally sound butterfly style. This causes hybrid goalies to look worse when allowing goals, because it appears that they are just flailing about. Contrast this scenario with Luongo letting in a softy. Lu will usually look like he just missed the puck because a. he's friggin' massive b. he plays deep in the paint while maintaining position. It appears most good hybrid NHL goalies flame out after a few good seasons. Only the truly elite guys like Hasek and Brodeur are able to play the same style while posting consistent stats. This is because those two guys were freaks when it came to their level athleticism.

I do hope this works out for Turco, I have always liked him.

Dreger tweets that because he was signed after the deadline that if any team were to claim him on re-entry waivers, he wouldnt be able to play for them anyway this season. why is he able to play for boston and not anyone else?

link

Edited by Din758

Now we know why he cleared waivers so easily.

Tonight 4 goals allowed in 12 shots. Not really working out to give Thomas a break, Thomas had to go in and replace Turco.

Tampa had 17 SOG and won 6-1 ... but then they do have Stamkos

Now we know why he cleared waivers so easily.

Tonight 4 goals allowed in 12 shots. Not really working out to give Thomas a break, Thomas had to go in and replace Turco.

Tampa had 17 SOG and won 6-1 ... but then they do have Stamkos

Dude looked like an old school stand up goalie. The breakaway goal Turco allowed was just...it was... yeah. He's been gone for awhile so I would think it would take some time for him to get into game condition but that was painful to watch.