• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

THN Future Watch 2012

Rate this topic

Disagree on Zetterberg - obviously he was drafted low, but before he came across he had a big reputation and people were talking about him as a "smaller Forsberg"

Obviously Datsyuk came from nowhere - Datsyuk 1.0, the pre-lockout shy little kid with the dazzling skills. Datsyuk 2.0 also came from nowhere, the post lockout 2-way monster that he became once Babcock got hold of him.

I seem to remember Datsyuk wowing everyone even in his first season. He may have come out of nowhere but people took notice right away.

Didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned. Were D and Z supposed to be top line guys? Not to my understanding. They took a chance and it worked out. They saw potential. They didn't see, arguably the best player in the world at this present time. I don't want to jinx us but I trust our front office. Flip looked like Datsyuk tonight. Nice to see the unexpected happen.

The front office knew what they had in both Dats and Z. Days was able to be drafted so low because the Wings were the only organization that knew about him. Those picks are much more difficult to make because scouting league-wide is so much better than it was a decade or two ago. Overseas leagues advertise their top players better also.

In any event, it would be awesome to get some more deep draft pick steals but I wouldn't give the wings' prospect pool a better grade on the assumption that some of those 3rd or 4th rd picks turn out to be prodigies. Based on what we know about the kids today, their skill set, development, etc right now, the grade that tsn gave is fair, IMO. It's also to be expected, given we draft low year after year.

The front office knew what they had in both Dats and Z. Days was able to be drafted so low because the Wings were the only organization that knew about him. Those picks are much more difficult to make because scouting league-wide is so much better than it was a decade or two ago. Overseas leagues advertise their top players better also.

In any event, it would be awesome to get some more deep draft pick steals but I wouldn't give the wings' prospect pool a better grade on the assumption that some of those 3rd or 4th rd picks turn out to be prodigies. Based on what we know about the kids today, their skill set, development, etc right now, the grade that tsn gave is fair, IMO. It's also to be expected, given we draft low year after year.

I wouldn't they "knew what they had" as in they knew (or were particularly confident even) that they would become stars in the NHL. You never know for sure what players other teams are aware of or how highly they value them, and you wouldn't risk passing on Pav seven times if you had any strong belief that he'd become even close to what he is now. Maybe you take your chances passing in the first few rounds while the well known prospects are taken, but after the top 100 or so, pretty much everyone is relatively unknown.

The Wings just aim for players with a high skill level who seem to have the sense to fit our two-way system and hope they reach their potential. Sometimes you get lucky like Datsyuk, sometimes you get Per Backer, sometimes you land in the middle like Flip or Huds.

Knowing what you have and seeing someones potential are completely different things.