• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

Which Opposing Teams Fans Invade Joe The Most?

Rate this topic

I've only been to the Joe once and it was game 7 of the 2009 Final and I noticed that there was about 20-30% of the fans rooting for the Penguins and I was wondering is that the norm at the Joe or only when certain teams come in. I remember during the first intermission I got caught up in the concourse getting some drinks and I heard the crowd roar and I thought it was a Wings goal but then I looked at the TV and saw the Pens took a 1-0 lead and I was like WTF?

So do any other teams fans venture off into the Joe like that or is that just a 1 time thing? I know the Leaf fans come in huge numbers but thats expected b/c lots of them live in Windsor area but Penguins fans is unacceptable if you ask me and for game 7 of the biggest game of the year was really tough to swallow all those loser celebrating in our building.

I'm guessing Toronto or Montreal.

So why did all those Penguin fans make the trip for game 7? What about the other games at the Joe in the finals in 08 & 09 were there that many Penguin fans? I didn't notice that many from home on tv but when I went to game 7 there was way too many for my liking. Also I know Steeler fans travel well but thats NFL and hockey doesn't mean as much as the NFL does in Pittsburgh.

So why did all those Penguin fans make the trip for game 7? What about the other games at the Joe in the finals in 08 & 09 were there that many Penguin fans? I didn't notice that many from home on tv but when I went to game 7 there was way too many for my liking. Also I know Steeler fans travel well but thats NFL and hockey doesn't mean as much as the NFL does in Pittsburgh.

Because it's Game 7. A chance to watch their team skate the Stanley Cup, on the home ice of the team that did the same thing on their ice the year before. I'm not surprised at all with the high turnout of Pens fans for that one game.

Toronto fans show up in the Joe like its the last game on Earth. I remember a thundering "Let's go red wings/go leafs go!" chant a few years ago when the leafs came to Detroit. I'm really excited about how the Winter classic will end up. Our fan bases seem to bring out the best in one another.

Toronto fans show up in the Joe like its the last game on Earth. I remember a thundering "Let's go red wings/go leafs go!" chant a few years ago when the leafs came to Detroit. I'm really excited about how the Winter classic will end up. Our fan bases seem to bring out the best in one another.

yup bang on.. was there for a game, and it was insane atmosphere to say the least.

Edited by wingfan1991

yup bang on.. was there for a game, and it was insane atmosphere to say the least.

I was at the home opener against the Leafs after the Wings won the cup. Best atmosphere I have ever seen at a hockey game. It was the same thing when I saw the Wings and Leafs in Toronto, all the Southern Ontario Wings fans invaded the ACC and the place was rocking. That was the game Sammy broke Cleary's jaw.

Hopefully I can get tix to the WC, that would be insane!

I was at game 5 in 09, there were a lot of Pens fans, but I didn't think the number was overwhelming. I knew a few people (Pens fans) that traveled to Detroit for the game. I also traveled to the game, but that was a given. I didn't travel to Pittsburgh. Some teams have big followings, then there are game 7s and when there are teams that are not that far away, it's bound to happen.

During the 08 and 09 playoff runs my friends and I would often watch the games in windsor because we were not of age to drink on this side of the border. Both years the place was crawling with pens fans during the finals. All of the pens fans I spoke to said that they actually made the trip to watch the game. Of all the games I have actually been to, I have only seen chicago be able to muster up enough fans to actually rival our lets go red wings chants.

If four Toronto fans carpooled 5 hours to Detroit for a game, They would probably pay even less between tickets to a game at JLA, a motel room, and the gas to get here than they would just for the tickets to any Toronto game at Air Canada Centre.

Their tickets are super expensive for home games, and southern Ontario is jam packed with Leafs fans, many of which live just right across the border.

Toronto for sure.

There were also a few party buses outside the Joe from Canada with fans that came out for the Vancouver game recently.