• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Holmstrom96

Kronwall Destroys Voracek

Rate this topic

Suspendable?  

247 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McCarty's take on the hit:

Darren McCarty ‏ @D_Mac25 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Saw the hit. Rubbin is racin. He got Kronwalled! Hope the kid's ok. Learn to keep that head up. A centermen shouldn't try to play wing.

Most fans today don't know who Darren McCarty is. They think the Red Wings have always been soft.

Oh man. I thought this hit was great BUT the shoulder to the head is what it comes down to. Kronner is my fave but I don't see the league letting this one go. Despite what many non Wings fans think, he isn't a dirty player, just delivers amazing, brutal hits but this one will get a suspension I bet.

I watched it on the TV a few times and on the Youtube replay and it seems to me he got him with the lower tricep area, middle of the upper arm. He didnt dip and that is the only saving grace I can see. If he dipped or raised an elbow this would be a multi game suspension no questions asked.

Guest Crymson

Legal hit. Voracek put himself in a hugely vulnerable position. Kronwall could have given up the hit, but I'm pretty sure that when he moved forward, he was expecting that Voracek was going to straighten out. He wasn't going to just stop and backpedal, because that would have meant being standing still with Voracek moving at full speed... i.e. a possible breakaway.

I watched the hit and replay on the DVR via my plasma AGAIN and Voracek's helmet actually broke when he hit the ice :yowza: Little chuck of helmet flew off as he hits the ice. I tend to be reminded of Brad Pitt in ****** as the Piker and the crushing punch that takes whats his name off his feet. Just so utterly violent but coldly beautiful in its execution. The youtube doesnt show him literally lost in his own swimming brain trying to comprehend what the f*** just happened to him.

I can assure you this, Voracek will never remember that hitLOL

Edited by Cali-Wing-Nut

I have to watch to replay again, but Kronner commits to his hits pretty early on and that poses a problem in these situations. When he commits to his hit, it's usually while the puck is in mid pass along the boards to the winger. Theres a good second or two as Kronwall transfers his momentum from skating backwards to skating into the zone. If a player presents his head in front of his body, eyes only in the puck after getting the puck, kronwall is already on top of him. If we give the winger the benefit here, and say kronwall can still pull up and avoid the hit, the winger gets a breakaway because at this point all of kronwall's momentum is going the opposite direction of the play, and hes pinched in from the blue line. Letting up on a hit in those situations would lead to breakaways.

For Kronwall, when he decides to engage in the process of starting the hit, he either commits to the hit and risk the injury and the suspension if the Winger happens to never pull his head up, or avoid the hit and give the winger an excellent scoring opp.

The way the rules are set up really discourage these types of hits (not headshots but hitting wingers as they approach the blue line). I never really thought about it before this instance because everyone up until this point (at least since the rules cracked down) got their head up in time to avoid getting it blasted off their body.

If you compare this hit with his others, they're all the same on Kronwall's end of things. The only difference here (and the Havlat hit, before the rules changed) is that the victim never pulled his head up between corralling the puck and Kronwall hitting him. Every other Kronwall victim lifted their head up before getting blasted. Instincts do the rest and suddenly the vitctim's head doesn't get touched at all, but he still suffers a devastating hit. Voracek never looked up after getting the puck, drove himself head-first straight into a freight train, and we all saw the consequences. I'm all for eliminating headshots. I hate seeing injuries, and this hit for me is tainted because I think Voracek's injury may very well be quite serious. But he got on train tracks, saw the train coming, and barreled into with his head down. You don't do that.

As for Voracek, the way his arms flailed out after the hit seemed indicative of decerebrate posturing, which is quite serious and implies severe brain damage. I hope Voracek the best, and would love to see him back on the ice soon.

You have GOT to keep your head up!!!! Man, I play in a no checking beer league and I don't skate around like that. I say clean hit. Mabe big boy just got a new pair of skates or put some different color laces in those skates of his and was just checking out his new on ice look and.......#55

Daniel Briere, who was leveled by Kronwall when the teams met Feb. 12 in Detroit, said he “wanted to puke'' when he saw the hit.“I haven't seen the replay of the hit, I don't know if the (head) was targeted or if it was a clean check,'' Briere said. “It's still not fun to see when you're on the ice and you see someone laying there shaking. It was a bad feeling in everybody's stomach.

Yikes... There's an image for ya.

I have to watch to replay again, but Kronner commits to his hits pretty early on and that poses a problem in these situations. When he commits to his hit, it's usually while the puck is in mid pass along the boards to the winger. Theres a good second or two as Kronwall transfers his momentum from skating backwards to skating into the zone.

He saw his opportunity....

If a player presents his head in front of his body, eyes only in the puck after getting the puck, kronwall is already on top of him. If we give the winger the benefit here, and say kronwall can still pull up and avoid the hit, the winger gets a breakaway because at this point all of kronwall's momentum is going the opposite direction of the play, and hes pinched in from the blue line. Letting up on a hit in those situations would lead to breakaways.

He took the shot

For Kronwall, when he decides to engage in the process of starting the hit, he either commits to the hit and risk the injury and the suspension if the Winger happens to never pull his head up, or avoid the hit and give the winger an excellent scoring opp.

Made the kill.

As for Voracek, the way his arms flailed out after the hit seemed indicative of decerebrate posturing, which is quite serious and implies severe brain damage. I hope Voracek the best, and would love to see him back on the ice soon.

Im with you there, I want every guy to get up and walk away. Same goes for racing, some watch for the crash some watch for the race. I watch for the race. In hockey and other contact sports, serious injury is always imminent just ask Todd McLellan. He was on the bench and got injured.. We also heap respect on these men because they play hard in the face of such danger. What is the sport worth if you are playing powder puff hockey, football or any other wheel to wheel type sport?

Im a road racer and understand that even without being touched the opportunity for injury or death is possible. I could blow a tire and run into a wall and die. I could be hit and run into a wall and die just the same. This goes for hockey as well. You could trip and break your neck or you can get hit and break your neck. Its part of the game and part of the eliteness.

These men understand the risk, they dont accept obvious plays to injure but all the same understand it can happen.

My hopes are with both players.