• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#21 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I appreciated the refs taking control of the game after the Kronwall hit. Philly got two penalties for trying to retaliate. If the league wants to get rid of fighting, it's up to the refs to calm things down, so props tonight to the officiating :thumbup:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#22 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Maybe the league should spend some time teaching players to skate with their heads up instead of looking at their skates.

If you play the Wings and come up the boards towards center ice with you r head down and Kronner is on the ice you get exactly what you deserve.

#23 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

McCarty's take on the hit:

Darren McCarty ‏ @D_Mac25 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Saw the hit. Rubbin is racin. He got Kronwalled! Hope the kid's ok. Learn to keep that head up. A centermen shouldn't try to play wing.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#24 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Oh man. I thought this hit was great BUT the shoulder to the head is what it comes down to. Kronner is my fave but I don't see the league letting this one go. Despite what many non Wings fans think, he isn't a dirty player, just delivers amazing, brutal hits but this one will get a suspension I bet.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033, 06 March 2012 - 10:55 PM.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#25 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

This is pretty gray area although I think it was clean.

Did Kron target the Voracek's head? I say no, his head was the closet part of his body to Kronner due to his head being down. A clear intent to taget would have an elbow or shoulder aiming for his cranium. Since it doesn't appear that he targeted his head then the principal point of contact is moot.

Did Voracek put himself in a vulnerable position just prior to or simultaneously with the hit? Yes. He saw Kron, Kron skated at him and Voracek put his head down, tough luck bro.

Was the hit AVOIDABLE? Any hit is avoidable, as in you don't check at all and you let a player pass you moving into your end. I know this part of the rule is more or less written to single out dirty blind siders and to protect situations such as the one that happened with Z and the boarding incident a few weeks ago.

Will this be reviewed? Without af****** doubt. Im also expecting to hear Mike "Im a cock sucking ****** bag" Milburry and Jeremy "lose the Jerry curl" Roenick team up on Kron in this situation and finish the evening having makeup sex. Will that make a difference? Depends on how Anti-Wings this gets in the media. I would expect this to be a suspension if the masses start screaming for retribution. Shanny has been pretty lenient with the Wings and he may be called out for favoritism if this goes to him for a decision.

Im glad that Kronner floored Voracek. Those type of hits keep other teams aware that we arent a bunch of ***** Euro players that are afraid to play physical. I am praying that Kron doesnt get a suspension cause hes our only hope on the blue line right now. We simply cant afford to lose ANOTHER top liner right now. We are missing a full line plus a goalie right now and they are our stars. I anxiously wait with my fingers crossed that this goes our way.

I looked the rule up again too just after the hit, and I agree with your reasoning. On first look, I would've said it was suspension-worthy. But after watching the different replays, you can clearly see Voroacek look up and see Kronwall a second before the hit, then he puts his head back down. I believe that he holds a share of the responsibility of this hit because rather than leaving himself in a vulnerable position after seeing Kronwall, he could have tried to veer away from the boards or not put his head back down and forward. Kronwall delivered a devastating hit, but a clean one--he didn't leave his feet, he didn't use his elbow or stick. Could he have let up? Maybe. But I agree with Murph and Stuart when they said don't you think the opposing team's coaching staff would warn their wingers to keep their heads up when Kronwall is in their zone along the boards? Especially since these Kronwall hits are not a new trend and are pretty publicized. It will definitely be reviewed, but I don't think (or at least hope) it won't be a suspension for Kronwall. If it is, that just opens it up for players to abuse the rule.

#26 Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

He'll get 3-5 games

#27 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

McCarty's take on the hit:

Darren McCarty ‏ @D_Mac25 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Saw the hit. Rubbin is racin. He got Kronwalled! Hope the kid's ok. Learn to keep that head up. A centermen shouldn't try to play wing.

Most fans today don't know who Darren McCarty is. They think the Red Wings have always been soft.

#28 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Oh man. I thought this hit was great BUT the shoulder to the head is what it comes down to. Kronner is my fave but I don't see the league letting this one go. Despite what many non Wings fans think, he isn't a dirty player, just delivers amazing, brutal hits but this one will get a suspension I bet.

I watched it on the TV a few times and on the Youtube replay and it seems to me he got him with the lower tricep area, middle of the upper arm. He didnt dip and that is the only saving grace I can see. If he dipped or raised an elbow this would be a multi game suspension no questions asked.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#29 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

I actually think Kronner let up. That could've been worse than the Havlat hit.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#30 MDtizzle

MDtizzle

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Lidstrom, Holland and Ilitch need to meet with Shanahan, and convince him a supension isn't the way to handle this.

Haha

Edited by MDtizzle, 06 March 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#31 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

for what its worth, puck daddy thinks this is the kind of hit that needs to be left in the game. there isn't that much media outrage over this.

#32 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

got rocked kid, take it in stride. according to the video of examples where head contact won't result in a suspension, that is a clean hit
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Legal hit. Voracek put himself in a hugely vulnerable position. Kronwall could have given up the hit, but I'm pretty sure that when he moved forward, he was expecting that Voracek was going to straighten out. He wasn't going to just stop and backpedal, because that would have meant being standing still with Voracek moving at full speed... i.e. a possible breakaway.

#34 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

I watched the hit and replay on the DVR via my plasma AGAIN and Voracek's helmet actually broke when he hit the ice :yowza: Little chuck of helmet flew off as he hits the ice. I tend to be reminded of Brad Pitt in ****** as the Piker and the crushing punch that takes whats his name off his feet. Just so utterly violent but coldly beautiful in its execution. The youtube doesnt show him literally lost in his own swimming brain trying to comprehend what the f*** just happened to him.

I can assure you this, Voracek will never remember that hitLOL

Edited by Cali-Wing-Nut, 06 March 2012 - 11:49 PM.

I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#35 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

he was expecting that Voracek was going to straighten out.

Well he did straighten up, when he was unconscious on the ice...
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#36 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

at first I was like :o but then I was like ;)

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#37 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Scott Stevens would be proud

#38 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=620874 I don't think he gets suspended.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#39 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Well... Actually I guess that's not true. I would be just a little surprised if Kronwall doesn't receive a suspension based on trends, the way the hit looked and the image of Voracek pointing up.

#40 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389661 tsn calling it a "elbow to head" that he "didn't see coming". We should all spam the tsn page telling them how bad their reporting is.
Posted Image

Edited by jollymania, 07 March 2012 - 12:18 AM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter