• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Gustav Nyquist, Joakim Andersson called up from GR

Rate this topic

who do the griffins call up when this happens? toledo walleye players? or are they just screwed..

You got it right, they recall players from Toledo.

The Detroit Griffins are ready to play... Oh wait, aren't the Griffins basically terrible? Ruh-roh. :ph34r:

Jk btw no need to flip out.

Obviously you're being (somewhat) facetious, but the Griffins are an obvious mix of NHL-level talent and AHLers. When I say obvious I mean - even as you watch them on the ice - and the likes of Nyquist, Andersson, Smith, etc. make up that core of NHLers, so it's not like we're calling up Jamie Johnson.

Surprised we didn't get Brunnstrom, he's still in GR right?

I don't believe Bruunstrom is waiver exempt, so they would risk him being claimed by another team for nothing before clearing, while the younger players wouldn't have that problem.

I'm going to the Griffins game in Houston on Saturday. There wont be anyone good left for me to see at this rate.

You'll get to see Callahan and Aubry at least. Ferraro is also looking good too. Pus you always have The Sauce out there :)

I don't believe Bruunstrom is waiver exempt, so they would risk him being claimed by another team for nothing before clearing, while the younger players wouldn't have that problem.

Brunnstrum was signed to a 1 year, 2-way contract. So technically he doesn't have to clear waivers to be called up. Only 1-way contracts go through the waiver process.

Brunnstrum was signed to a 1 year, 2-way contract. So technically he doesn't have to clear waivers to be called up. Only 1-way contracts go through the waiver process.

Not true. Players on 2 way contracts still have to go through waivers if they are not waiver exempt. A 2 way contract only means the player makes different salary depending on where they're playing, typically more in the NHL and less in the AHL, ECHL, et al.

NHL Waiver Rules

Do 1-Way and 2-Way contracts affect Waivers?

Simply put, no they do not. This is a common misconception. 1-way and 2-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They are for salary purposes between the AHL and NHL. The confusion is understandable, most players with 2-way contracts are waiver exempt because of the reasons above (in the linked article). Most players on 1-way contracts aren’t waiver exempt. Just keep in mind that the chart above is the only thing that determines a players waiver status.

Plus, the Wings had to place Brunner on waivers to send him down to GR in October.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/10/red_wings_fabian_brunnstrom_cl.html