• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Smith/Kindl/Ericsson

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

So, with how Smith has been playing, and with the acquisition of Quincey, it's going to be an interesting picture when Kindl and Ericsson return from injury. I'm thinking that both of them will be left in reserve; Smith is simply playing too well right now.

Opinions?

Smith should have been starting all season over those two.

I still don't know why Holland paid so much money to Ericsson, when he could easily be replaced with guys like Smith, Kindl, or any other defenseman we sign in the offseason.

EDIT: Forgot about Quincey. He's another reason why Ericsson should have no place on this team in the future. However, now we could be stuck paying 3.5 million to a guy who's not even in the starting lineup. Bad move by Holland either way you look at it.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Crymson

It will be good in the offseason to have eight NHL-caliber defensemen.

Smith should have been starting all season over those two.

I still don't know why Holland paid so much money to Ericsson, when he could easily be replaced with guys like Smith, Kindl, or any other defenseman we sign in the offseason.

Given the weakness of the UFA class last offseason, he couldn't really afford to leave a big gap on defense. Kindl was unproven. Had Rafalski not retired, and had White been brought in anyway, Ericsson would have been unnecessary.

It will be good in the offseason to have eight NHL-caliber defensemen.

Given the weakness of the UFA class last offseason, he couldn't really afford to leave a big gap on defense. Kindl was unproven. Had Rafalski not retired, and had White been brought in anyway, Ericsson would have been unnecessary.

Maybe, but that's his job. The forecast didn't turn out right in this case.

I don't remember if Ericsson has a no-trade clause, or if anyone will want him even if he doesn't have one. But like I said, we're likely stuck paying that big contract to a guy who'll be scratched a lot. Kind of like Jeff Finger.

I don't want to see Smith come out of the line-up. He has game breaking ability as shown tonight, calmness under pressure, and can throw down when called upon :thumbup:

This. Don't want to see another game this season without him in the line-up. I think he's been THAT good.

If Smith comes out of the lineup I will be livid..this kid is NHL ready right now and should never play another game in the AHL. Ericsson is servicable and would be useful to us or some other teams but that contract is going to be hard to unload. He is instantly more attractive because he has played for a good team and been groomed properly but that contract is a little bit much.

So, with how Smith has been playing, and with the acquisition of Quincey, it's going to be an interesting picture when Kindl and Ericsson return from injury. I'm thinking that both of them will be left in reserve; Smith is simply playing too well right now.

Opinions?

I would love for Smith to remain in the lineup, but that would require Ericsson to sit. Although E is not as good as he has shown to be in previous years, I don't know if Holland will allow Babcock to have $3M+ sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch. I hope Smith and Quincey make up the #5/6 slots, but I just don't see Ericsson not playing when healthy...that's too bad.

edit:

As a matter of fact if both Stuart and Lidstrom leave next year, this is the lineup I want to see:

Suter-Kronwall

White-Quincey

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

I can do without either or both of E and Kindl, but not too sure who would replace them.

Edited by LeftWinger

I would love for Smith to remain in the lineup, but that would require Ericsson to sit. Although E is not as good as he has shown to be in previous years, I don't know if Holland will allow Babcock to have $3M+ sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch. I hope Smith and Quincey make up the #5/6 slots, but I just don't see Ericsson not playing when healthy...that's too bad.

edit:

As a matter of fact if both Stuart and Lidstrom leave next year, this is the lineup I want to see:

Suter-Kronwall

White-Quincey

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

I can do without either or both of E and Kindl, but not too sure who would replace them.

It'd be hard losing both Lidstrom and Stuart in the offseason.

And there's no telling if we'd get Suter. There will be a lot of teams after him, and we are no longer in the pre-salary cap era, where Detroit can just throw him the biggest contract.

Not long ago, we were this high on Ericsson, insisting that he be brought up because he played so well.

I agree that we have a gem in Smith, and I hope to see him up with us. I just hope we don't expect too much like we did with E so that even if he's just average at first it seems like a bigger disappointment than it would have been otherwise.

If an unheralded d-man played like E, we'd be ok with it. E's unrealized potential and his contract make him seem worse than he is.

I'm still not sold on Kindl. I don't know why, but he does not inspire my confidence.

It'd be hard losing both Lidstrom and Stuart in the offseason.

And there's no telling if we'd get Suter. There will be a lot of teams after him, and we are no longer in the pre-salary cap era, where Detroit can just throw him the biggest contract.

I agree, but I figure maybe with the combined total of Lids and Stuart's money, they may be able to offer Suter $8M long term....dunno, I certainly hope if they both go, that Holland goes after someone big time!

Guest Crymson

I would love for Smith to remain in the lineup, but that would require Ericsson to sit. Although E is not as good as he has shown to be in previous years, I don't know if Holland will allow Babcock to have $3M+ sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch.

I'm pretty sure Holland's #1 priority is to win, so I think he couldn't care less if Ericsson sat in the press box if such made the chances of victory higher. Holland's goal is for the Wings to win it all, not for him to get the best value for players` salaries.

Smith is playing well and he will only get better. On the other hand Kindl and Ericsson have had every opportunity to prove that they are worthy. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I see more upside in Kindle than in Ericsson. I do not know how much longer the Wings will be experimenting with E. in any case would love to see Smith staying.

I've never been a big Ericsson fan, but I don't blame Holland for his contract. It was based more on the over inflated market for guys like Wisniewski and Ehrhoff, than his skills.

Crymson already mentioned it: The market was weak and over inflated, Kindl and Smith were unproven, and Rafalski retired.

I've never been a big Ericsson fan, but I don't blame Holland for his contract. It was based more on the over inflated market for guys like Wisniewski and Ehrhoff, than his skills.

Crymson already mentioned it: The market was weak and over inflated, Kindl and Smith were unproven, and Rafalski retired.

I agree. Every team has at least one player that they are overpaying for the skills and services provided. We are blessed to have just big E.

I agree. Every team has at least one player that they are overpaying for the skills and services provided. We are blessed to have just big E.

And it's only a 3 year deal. Imagine being stuck with the Wisniewski or Ehrhoff deals?

And it's only a 3 year deal. Imagine being stuck with the Wisniewski or Ehrhoff deals?

Thank god that did not happen. Kenny did a great job by not getting them.

Definitely prefer Smith to keep playing when everyone is healthy, though my expectation is Ericsson will get the nod for the playoffs. I don't even really dislike E, but I feel that his usual role is basically insignificant now with the addition of Quincey. Smith has played extremely well and I get the impression that the playoffs wouldn't rattle him in the least.

I'm pretty neutral on Kindl. I like some elements of his game, but Smith is already better than him offensively and Ericsson is much stronger than him defensively, so I don't see how he passes either one for playing time.

Edited by GoWings1905

Eriksson will get the spot. Nobody will agree to it, but he brings more to the table than Kindl does, plays harder in the corners than anyone who isn't Stuart (which unfortunately doesn't speak well for our defense), and knows whats required in the playoffs in terms of upping your game. Smith hands down has a much higher potential, but he's still green and even with his superior skill set, Eriksson is the safer bet come playoffs. Next year, I don't know if that will be the case. Smith had really been impressive for the Wings.

Not long ago, we were this high on Ericsson, insisting that he be brought up because he played so well.

I agree that we have a gem in Smith, and I hope to see him up with us. I just hope we don't expect too much like we did with E so that even if he's just average at first it seems like a bigger disappointment than it would have been otherwise.

If an unheralded d-man played like E, we'd be ok with it. E's unrealized potential and his contract make him seem worse than he is.

I'm still not sold on Kindl. I don't know why, but he does not inspire my confidence.

Agreed. Though I think Smith has much much greater potential than Ericsson has ever had.

As for Kindl, he hasn't done much to inspire confidence. He's shown some promise but seems to have regressed. He's not been awful, but he's not been particularly good either, even as a 6th guy. Actually I don't know that he's even regressed or if he's just been at the same level the whole time, but now I expect more a guy with 100 NHL games under his belt than when he had 10.

And to whoever asked, yes Ericsson has a NTC but I don't think the exact details are known.

Guest Crymson

Ericsson doesn't have an NMC, so stashing in the minors is a theoretical possibility should the need arise in the future.

Ericsson doesn't have an NMC, so stashing in the minors is a theoretical possibility should the need arise in the future.

Why would the Wings put a solid #5 D man that they just re-signed in the minors? What kind of message would that send to current and future players? That would be an idiotic move by Holland.

Plus I think he'd have to clear waivers.