• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Definitely prefer Smith to keep playing when everyone is healthy, though my expectation is Ericsson will get the nod for the playoffs. I don't even really dislike E, but I feel that his usual role is basically insignificant now with the addition of Quincey. Smith has played extremely well and I get the impression that the playoffs wouldn't rattle him in the least.

I'm pretty neutral on Kindl. I like some elements of his game, but Smith is already better than him offensively and Ericsson is much stronger than him defensively, so I don't see how he passes either one for playing time.

Edited by GoWings1905, 10 March 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#22 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Eriksson will get the spot. Nobody will agree to it, but he brings more to the table than Kindl does, plays harder in the corners than anyone who isn't Stuart (which unfortunately doesn't speak well for our defense), and knows whats required in the playoffs in terms of upping your game. Smith hands down has a much higher potential, but he's still green and even with his superior skill set, Eriksson is the safer bet come playoffs. Next year, I don't know if that will be the case. Smith had really been impressive for the Wings.

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Not long ago, we were this high on Ericsson, insisting that he be brought up because he played so well.

I agree that we have a gem in Smith, and I hope to see him up with us. I just hope we don't expect too much like we did with E so that even if he's just average at first it seems like a bigger disappointment than it would have been otherwise.

If an unheralded d-man played like E, we'd be ok with it. E's unrealized potential and his contract make him seem worse than he is.

I'm still not sold on Kindl. I don't know why, but he does not inspire my confidence.

Agreed. Though I think Smith has much much greater potential than Ericsson has ever had.

As for Kindl, he hasn't done much to inspire confidence. He's shown some promise but seems to have regressed. He's not been awful, but he's not been particularly good either, even as a 6th guy. Actually I don't know that he's even regressed or if he's just been at the same level the whole time, but now I expect more a guy with 100 NHL games under his belt than when he had 10.

And to whoever asked, yes Ericsson has a NTC but I don't think the exact details are known.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Ericsson doesn't have an NMC, so stashing in the minors is a theoretical possibility should the need arise in the future.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Ericsson doesn't have an NMC, so stashing in the minors is a theoretical possibility should the need arise in the future.

Why would the Wings put a solid #5 D man that they just re-signed in the minors? What kind of message would that send to current and future players? That would be an idiotic move by Holland.

Plus I think he'd have to clear waivers.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Why would the Wings put a solid #5 D man that they just re-signed in the minors? What kind of message would that send to current and future players? That would be an idiotic move by Holland.

Plus I think he'd have to clear waivers.

I said IF it was needed.

#27 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

He has a Modified NTC according to gapgeek, no details though.

Stuart is as good as gone next season, and without any other prospects on defence pushing for the big club that leaves us with Ericsson and Kindl as 6 and 7, both easily waivable/buyoutable if we want to go for Suter/Weber.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#28 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

I give big E a heck of a lot of credit for agreeing to stop playing Center though. Imagine that, playing as a forward your whole life, a scout sees the one game you play defence and decides to try and convince you to play the rest of your career there. Hats off to him for that. For some reason I feel far better with him in there over Kindl. He's gone off the boil.

Perhaps its simply a case of E thinking too much, almost like because it's not his 'natural' position (which it actually has come to be over the years) that he's scared to make even the slightest wrong move and he gets himself into a muddle. Then again, how do you tell a guy who's that worried to do everything right, just to calm down a little. That's what I think anyway. The head can mess with even the best of us.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#29 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Smith is good and going to be great, but he can't kill penalties yet so IMO there is no way Babcock doesn't put Ericsson back in as soon as he is healthy. Five-on-five he hasn't been good this year, but he is very solid on the PK and having him out there for that reduces Lidstrom's minutes.

#30 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

big E has been pretty good this year. I see nothing holding him back from getting his normal spot back even if dislike him :)

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 10 March 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#31 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

With Big Rig, he would've gotten more on the open market given all the nutty deals to start off free agency in the beginning of July (just look at Ville Leino for example - apples/oranges if you look at it with him being a forward and Ericsson being a defenseman, but money wise he got paid big bucks whether he is worth it or not).

I still think for the long haul he's worth it at present time. If he isn't, there's no reason why he isn't trade material, but I don't want this turning into yet another ripping on Ericsson thread.

Smith is making it harder and harder to take out of the lineup. And honestly when Quincey got traded for, I thought Kindl was playing well.

I'm not looking too far ahead yet but at least when healthy bodies start coming back for the rest of the regular season, I hope they consider keeping Smith in the lineup.

#32 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Not long ago, we were this high on Ericsson, insisting that he be brought up because he played so well.

I agree that we have a gem in Smith, and I hope to see him up with us. I just hope we don't expect too much like we did with E so that even if he's just average at first it seems like a bigger disappointment than it would have been otherwise.

If an unheralded d-man played like E, we'd be ok with it. E's unrealized potential and his contract make him seem worse than he is.

I'm still not sold on Kindl. I don't know why, but he does not inspire my confidence.

That was a few years ago. When in the playoffs while he was playing with Lidstrom he was a force. He shown back then what his peak play would like look but unfortunately he has not even come close to that level ever since.

#33 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

And it's only a 3 year deal. Imagine being stuck with the Wisniewski or Ehrhoff deals?

That would suck as well. There may be a “penalty-free” buyout period in the next CBA and teams can get out of these bad contracts.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I said IF it was needed.

so IF it was needed because somehow Holland has painted himself into a corner financially, the Wings should demote their #5 defenseman to the minors and potentially lose him off waivers for nothing while also tarnishing the organization's reputation on how it treats its players. Got it.

Holland is a guy who let Commie go basically so he could play somewhere and try to get a contract next year, even though it would've been better for the team to have him riding the pine in case there were a bunch of injuries on D, which is the case right now.

You're such a big Holland fan it's odd that you'd think he'd ever make a bad move like that, other than the fact that it's Ericsson.

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

so IF it was needed because somehow Holland has painted himself into a corner financially, the Wings should demote their #5 defenseman to the minors and potentially lose him off waivers for nothing while also tarnishing the organization's reputation on how it treats its players. Got it.

Holland is a guy who let Commie go basically so he could play somewhere and try to get a contract next year, even though it would've been better for the team to have him riding the pine in case there were a bunch of injuries on D, which is the case right now.

You're such a big Holland fan it's odd that you'd think he'd ever make a bad move like that, other than the fact that it's Ericsson.

I agree with your sentiments, but Ericsson is not our fifth defenseman, he's our sixth defenseman and should be for the rest of the season.

Edited by kipwinger, 10 March 2012 - 02:26 PM.

• Nev likes this

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I agree with your sentiments, but Ericsson is not our fifth defenseman.

He pretty much has been up until they signed Quincey. With Q here, everyone healthy, and Smith playing so well, it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

It's a nice problem for Holland to have.

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

He pretty much has been up until they signed Quincey. With Q here, everyone healthy, and Smith playing so well, it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

It's a nice problem for Holland to have.

I agree. I love our defense corps moving forward. Obviously I'd prefer to have both Lidstrom and Stuart coming back, but even if we don't, we have the best defense corps under contract in the league.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#38 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

One thing that I do know is that I do NOT want Ericsson grooming Smith. Smith is young and does not need to pick up any of Ericssons bad habits. Kindl will be the odd guy out. Smith will be 7. Not saying I like it though.

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Well, Ericsson won't be back for awhile. We'll see how things go once Lidstrom and Datsyuk are back. If everything goes well, I doubt Babcock will mess with success.

One thing that I do know is that I do NOT want Ericsson grooming Smith. Smith is young and does not need to pick up any of Ericssons bad habits. Kindl will be the odd guy out. Smith will be 7. Not saying I like it though.

Ericsson won't be "grooming" anyone. He's young, and anyway his playstyle is nothing like Smith's.

#40 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Ericsson won't be "grooming" anyone. He's young, and anyway his playstyle is nothing like Smith's.

Ericsson's playstyle:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users