• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

The Production Line blog gave an interesting view on the reason to why Wings shipped Commodore to Tampa and didn't sign anyone else in his place...

http://theproduction...ommodore-loose/

Interesting theory, just wondering what people think? I haven't seen the prospect at all so can't really comment but could Holland be THAT farsighted?

Theories please.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#2 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

A good game-day read, thanks!

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

You know, it does make sense. We have one contract spot left open, right? We are a bit shallow on the defense prospect pool, and it does seem like we would be frontrunners (unless the kid just hates Michigan or Detroit). Yeah, I'd say this is pretty likely.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Great read!! Thanks for posting the link
IPB Image

#5 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

How likely is it that we sign a college kid and call him right up? Just doesn't seem like the Red Wing way.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#6 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

How likely is it that we sign a college kid and call him right up? Just doesn't seem like the Red Wing way.

Pretty likely given they did the same thing w/ Abby the year he signed out of State. Granted that was at the end of the season & he started the next down in GR. I could easily see the same thing with DeKeyser. Get him some playing time with the big club by the end of the season if Western doesn't make it into/far into the NCAAs, keep him around as a Black Ace during the playoffs, & have him start off in GR the next season when Lids desides to come back for another run.

#7 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

This actually does sound feasible. And while it's not the ordinary Red Wings way of doing things, I could definitely see him as a Black Ace during the postseason.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#8 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Pretty likely given they did the same thing w/ Abby the year he signed out of State. Granted that was at the end of the season & he started the next down in GR. I could easily see the same thing with DeKeyser. Get him some playing time with the big club by the end of the season if Western doesn't make it into/far into the NCAAs, keep him around as a Black Ace during the playoffs, & have him start off in GR the next season when Lids desides to come back for another run.

This.

As the article mentioned, a ton of it will come down to whether or not he wants to play in Detroit more than make a little extra money and get guaranteed playing time. Not an easy choice to make if you are a hot defense prospect.

Anything that deepens our blueline is fine by me. :thumbup:
Posted Image

#9 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I had discussions about this with Malik... The Wings could have signed him to an Amateur try out contract which would have allowed him to play with the Griffins the amount of games they had left and sent a clear signal to sign with us.

Getting him under contract for this year is only a big deal if he had interest elsewhere. If he is so closely tied to us, he might wait anyways. He is not allowed to play in the playoffs for us, even if he was ready.

I think we are getting Danny, but I don't think the Commodore move was anything more than us doing right by a veteran and giving him a chance to keep his career alive.

This actually does sound feasible. And while it's not the ordinary Red Wings way of doing things, I could definitely see him as a Black Ace during the postseason.

Players signed post deadline who aren't already property rights of a team cannot play in the playoffs for that team.

This too.

They would go with Janik, and Excelby before Danny.

Remember, at this point there was no injury problems. Plus, check the rules. He could play regular season games for us, but not playoff games.

Abs could do it because he was drafted property of the Wings.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#10 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

My question was answered earlier.

Edited by The Greek, 13 March 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#11 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I really hate to beat on this blog, but honestly this is feel good Red Wings stuff.

If Danny is going to be a Wing, the Commodore trade had no impact upon this.

The writer doesn't even act like this to be a revelation, he just is giving Holland credit for making a shrewd move clearing space for him. Space that didn't really need to be cleared.

He could take Chris Minard's contract spot no problem by signing a deal for next season.

Okay, enough negative. This kid won't help us replace Lidstrom, but it will soften the gap we have between Smith and Ouellet in the farm system that is currently only filled by Almqvist. This doesn't mean Adam or Danny make the team ever, but it gives us more options and would help us from making desperation signings on d in the future. (COUGH COUGH E) :D

He will come in and have a seriously good chance to make the team within a three year window. NOT this year.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#12 JeeSpot82

JeeSpot82

The Production Line

• Gold Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi there, my name is Michael Petrella -- the author of the article in question.

No one is saying he'll be playing for the Red Wings this season -- especially in the playoffs, where he'll be ineligible. And I'm sure that sending Mike Commodore to Tampa WAS doing a veteran a solid, giving him a chance to show he can still play in this league. But it's not like it would be the first time that Ken Holland made a brilliant foresight move. Getting a kid like this under contract would be a great coup, particularly with the imminent departures of Brad Stuart and (eventually) Lidstrom.

Dan DeKeyser won't off-set the losses of those fine gentlemen, but it'd certainly help having a guy like that in the pantry when it comes his time to make the jump to full-time NHLer.

If your "check the rules" was directed at me, you should ride your high horse elsewhere. I'm very familiar with the rules of the game and how these contracts work. Garnet Exelby will never play a game for the Red Wings, and I'd wager that you'd see a random kid like DeKeyser before you'd see him. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that in the playoffs, eh? =)

If the GRIFFINS wanted to sign him to an Amateur Tryout Contract, he'd be eligible to play for them without having an NHL deal -- but why would DeKeyser do that deal if he's going to get 30 offers? If he's a big time Wings fan and wants to stay close to home, he certainly may... but let's not poo poo the article just because it's 'feel good.'

#13 Wingsequallife13

Wingsequallife13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Just a heads up; he'll be at the Joe this weekend for the CCHA Championship. Go Broncos!

#14 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

http://www.letsgowin...t-to-the-wings/

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#15 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

I've been reading about the Wings possible signing this guy for weeks, but I never made the connection. Seems so obvious now.
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#16 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

This is why in NHL 12 I try to keep keep my number of contracts to around 46-47 players instead of 49 or 50 (yeah, the game actually has the 50 contract limit built-in). Ken Holland could learn a thing or two from me. :hehe:

But seriously, can anyone give an idea as to how good this kid is...I've never seen him play. Is he NHL-ready on one of the weaker teams in the league?

Edited by Nevermind, 13 March 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I feel like this is going to end up being one of those situations where everyone thinks Holland has to have a trick up his sleeve, but reality is that he was just doing Commodore a favor, not expecting half our defensive lineup to fall to injuries.
I do want this kid in a Wings' sweater, though.

#18 JeeSpot82

JeeSpot82

The Production Line

• Gold Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

He's NHL ready on most-any team in the league. That rarely includes the Red Wings, as we all know, but if he wants to play for a highly respected team that will build him into a champion forever, he'll choose the Wings and take his time.

If he wants the NHL RIGHT NOW (and, frankly, would anyone blame him), he'll go elsewhere. But, as we've already learned, he's not eligible for the playoffs, so perhaps he forgoes his few weeks of NHL games with a look toward the future.

I just think the deck is stacked too perfectly for him to end up anywhere but Detroit. Maybe that's red-and-white colored glasses, but... it seems like a perfect fit on a lot of different levels.

#19 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I could see Holland making that trade and doing somethnig along the lines of what is being said in the article.

"Look Danny, we want you on this team and youre a Michigan boy who knows Nill well. We'll sign you and get you in a few games to end this season and make you a little bit of cash. Than we'll put you in GR for one season where youll be our first dman call up. After that youre with the big squad"

Couldnt someone see Holland saying something along those lines?

When have the wings ever had such a highly sought after NCAA free agent on their front door gift wrapped like this?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#20 Mason

Mason

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

He's a friend of a friend of mine on Facebook so I'm able to stalk him... He just recently added Nicklas Lidstrom to his list of inspirational people... He's ours.