• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

The reason The Wings shipped Mike Commodore

Rate this topic

The Production Line blog gave an interesting view on the reason to why Wings shipped Commodore to Tampa and didn't sign anyone else in his place...

http://theproductionline.us/perhaps-that-guy-is-the-reason-the-wings-cut-mike-commodore-loose/

Interesting theory, just wondering what people think? I haven't seen the prospect at all so can't really comment but could Holland be THAT farsighted?

Theories please.

You know, it does make sense. We have one contract spot left open, right? We are a bit shallow on the defense prospect pool, and it does seem like we would be frontrunners (unless the kid just hates Michigan or Detroit). Yeah, I'd say this is pretty likely.

How likely is it that we sign a college kid and call him right up? Just doesn't seem like the Red Wing way.

Pretty likely given they did the same thing w/ Abby the year he signed out of State. Granted that was at the end of the season & he started the next down in GR. I could easily see the same thing with DeKeyser. Get him some playing time with the big club by the end of the season if Western doesn't make it into/far into the NCAAs, keep him around as a Black Ace during the playoffs, & have him start off in GR the next season when Lids desides to come back for another run.

Pretty likely given they did the same thing w/ Abby the year he signed out of State. Granted that was at the end of the season & he started the next down in GR. I could easily see the same thing with DeKeyser. Get him some playing time with the big club by the end of the season if Western doesn't make it into/far into the NCAAs, keep him around as a Black Ace during the playoffs, & have him start off in GR the next season when Lids desides to come back for another run.

This.

As the article mentioned, a ton of it will come down to whether or not he wants to play in Detroit more than make a little extra money and get guaranteed playing time. Not an easy choice to make if you are a hot defense prospect.

Anything that deepens our blueline is fine by me. :thumbup:

I had discussions about this with Malik... The Wings could have signed him to an Amateur try out contract which would have allowed him to play with the Griffins the amount of games they had left and sent a clear signal to sign with us.

Getting him under contract for this year is only a big deal if he had interest elsewhere. If he is so closely tied to us, he might wait anyways. He is not allowed to play in the playoffs for us, even if he was ready.

I think we are getting Danny, but I don't think the Commodore move was anything more than us doing right by a veteran and giving him a chance to keep his career alive.

This actually does sound feasible. And while it's not the ordinary Red Wings way of doing things, I could definitely see him as a Black Ace during the postseason.

Players signed post deadline who aren't already property rights of a team cannot play in the playoffs for that team.

How likely is it that we sign a college kid and call him right up? Just doesn't seem like the Red Wing way.

This too.

They would go with Janik, and Excelby before Danny.

Remember, at this point there was no injury problems. Plus, check the rules. He could play regular season games for us, but not playoff games.

Abs could do it because he was drafted property of the Wings.

I really hate to beat on this blog, but honestly this is feel good Red Wings stuff.

If Danny is going to be a Wing, the Commodore trade had no impact upon this.

The writer doesn't even act like this to be a revelation, he just is giving Holland credit for making a shrewd move clearing space for him. Space that didn't really need to be cleared.

He could take Chris Minard's contract spot no problem by signing a deal for next season.

Okay, enough negative. This kid won't help us replace Lidstrom, but it will soften the gap we have between Smith and Ouellet in the farm system that is currently only filled by Almqvist. This doesn't mean Adam or Danny make the team ever, but it gives us more options and would help us from making desperation signings on d in the future. (COUGH COUGH E) :D

He will come in and have a seriously good chance to make the team within a three year window. NOT this year.

Hi there, my name is Michael Petrella -- the author of the article in question.

No one is saying he'll be playing for the Red Wings this season -- especially in the playoffs, where he'll be ineligible. And I'm sure that sending Mike Commodore to Tampa WAS doing a veteran a solid, giving him a chance to show he can still play in this league. But it's not like it would be the first time that Ken Holland made a brilliant foresight move. Getting a kid like this under contract would be a great coup, particularly with the imminent departures of Brad Stuart and (eventually) Lidstrom.

Dan DeKeyser won't off-set the losses of those fine gentlemen, but it'd certainly help having a guy like that in the pantry when it comes his time to make the jump to full-time NHLer.

If your "check the rules" was directed at me, you should ride your high horse elsewhere. I'm very familiar with the rules of the game and how these contracts work. Garnet Exelby will never play a game for the Red Wings, and I'd wager that you'd see a random kid like DeKeyser before you'd see him. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that in the playoffs, eh? =)

If the GRIFFINS wanted to sign him to an Amateur Tryout Contract, he'd be eligible to play for them without having an NHL deal -- but why would DeKeyser do that deal if he's going to get 30 offers? If he's a big time Wings fan and wants to stay close to home, he certainly may... but let's not poo poo the article just because it's 'feel good.'

This is why in NHL 12 I try to keep keep my number of contracts to around 46-47 players instead of 49 or 50 (yeah, the game actually has the 50 contract limit built-in). Ken Holland could learn a thing or two from me. :hehe:

But seriously, can anyone give an idea as to how good this kid is...I've never seen him play. Is he NHL-ready on one of the weaker teams in the league?

Edited by Nevermind

I feel like this is going to end up being one of those situations where everyone thinks Holland has to have a trick up his sleeve, but reality is that he was just doing Commodore a favor, not expecting half our defensive lineup to fall to injuries.

I do want this kid in a Wings' sweater, though.

He's NHL ready on most-any team in the league. That rarely includes the Red Wings, as we all know, but if he wants to play for a highly respected team that will build him into a champion forever, he'll choose the Wings and take his time.

If he wants the NHL RIGHT NOW (and, frankly, would anyone blame him), he'll go elsewhere. But, as we've already learned, he's not eligible for the playoffs, so perhaps he forgoes his few weeks of NHL games with a look toward the future.

I just think the deck is stacked too perfectly for him to end up anywhere but Detroit. Maybe that's red-and-white colored glasses, but... it seems like a perfect fit on a lot of different levels.

I could see Holland making that trade and doing somethnig along the lines of what is being said in the article.

"Look Danny, we want you on this team and youre a Michigan boy who knows Nill well. We'll sign you and get you in a few games to end this season and make you a little bit of cash. Than we'll put you in GR for one season where youll be our first dman call up. After that youre with the big squad"

Couldnt someone see Holland saying something along those lines?

When have the wings ever had such a highly sought after NCAA free agent on their front door gift wrapped like this?

I am telling you, his sister is pretty sure he is coming here. The only thing that may attract him away from here is that he will get instant playing time in Tampa (which is the other place he is considering.) This has been discussed before but this is a great article giving even more reason's to believe he will sign here. My buddy dates his sister and like I said, he tells me she feels very confidant he will be Wings property, but that idea of playing in the NHL, making NHL money right away is very tempting I bet!

I hope he comes here! It's always cool when you know a player or have someone who does. Perks are great! Manny's father-in-law still gets major perks at the Joe, it is awesome when he calls and asks if I want to go to a game! Private access, player access, Olympia Club...sometimes you forget you are there watching a game!

Anyhow, they way he is playing right now, he would be a great signing!

Hi there, my name is Michael Petrella -- the author of the article in question.

No one is saying he'll be playing for the Red Wings this season -- especially in the playoffs, where he'll be ineligible. And I'm sure that sending Mike Commodore to Tampa WAS doing a veteran a solid, giving him a chance to show he can still play in this league. But it's not like it would be the first time that Ken Holland made a brilliant foresight move. Getting a kid like this under contract would be a great coup, particularly with the imminent departures of Brad Stuart and (eventually) Lidstrom.

Dan DeKeyser won't off-set the losses of those fine gentlemen, but it'd certainly help having a guy like that in the pantry when it comes his time to make the jump to full-time NHLer.

If your "check the rules" was directed at me, you should ride your high horse elsewhere. I'm very familiar with the rules of the game and how these contracts work. Garnet Exelby will never play a game for the Red Wings, and I'd wager that you'd see a random kid like DeKeyser before you'd see him. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that in the playoffs, eh? =)

If the GRIFFINS wanted to sign him to an Amateur Tryout Contract, he'd be eligible to play for them without having an NHL deal -- but why would DeKeyser do that deal if he's going to get 30 offers? If he's a big time Wings fan and wants to stay close to home, he certainly may... but let's not poo poo the article just because it's 'feel good.'

The ONLY point is that by no means do I think they moved Commodore for the purpose of signing Danny.

They didn't need to do it, and therefore by that logic alone you should not infer that Commodore was moved for him.

Plus all the evidence that the Wings were talking to teams about adding players after the Commodore trade also negates it.

I have no problem with the article for talking about adding Danny. If you read my postings at all you'd know that. I am simply saying there is no reason to make Holland out to be some sort of genius for this. If Commodore was still on the team, Holland would still be trying to sign Danny. You have to admit that, and everyone has to see that.

I have no high horses, but I do have some common sense.

If Commodore was still on the team, Holland would still be trying to sign Danny. You have to admit that, and everyone has to see that.

See, but... he couldn't still be trying to sign him. They'd be at 50 contracts and it's past the point where you can even buy out someone on a deal. So... where's DeKeyser's deal going? Do you think he'd wait until the summer to sign somewhere to help the Wings? I'm seriously asking because that's most definitely an option.

Did I sensationalize the Holland Foresight thing? Maybe. But it's not like he's NOT brilliant when it comes to player management. It's not so far out of the realm of possibility that I'm ridiculous for breaching the subject.

You know, it does make sense. We have one contract spot left open, right? We are a bit shallow on the defense prospect pool, and it does seem like we would be frontrunners (unless the kid just hates Michigan or Detroit). Yeah, I'd say this is pretty likely.

He is from Michigan and is a Red Wings and Tigers fan