brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

jeez the kid is that good? get em then

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I am telling you, his sister is pretty sure he is coming here. The only thing that may attract him away from here is that he will get instant playing time in Tampa (which is the other place he is considering.) This has been discussed before but this is a great article giving even more reason's to believe he will sign here. My buddy dates his sister and like I said, he tells me she feels very confidant he will be Wings property, but that idea of playing in the NHL, making NHL money right away is very tempting I bet!

I hope he comes here! It's always cool when you know a player or have someone who does. Perks are great! Manny's father-in-law still gets major perks at the Joe, it is awesome when he calls and asks if I want to go to a game! Private access, player access, Olympia Club...sometimes you forget you are there watching a game!

Anyhow, they way he is playing right now, he would be a great signing!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#23 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hi there, my name is Michael Petrella -- the author of the article in question.

No one is saying he'll be playing for the Red Wings this season -- especially in the playoffs, where he'll be ineligible. And I'm sure that sending Mike Commodore to Tampa WAS doing a veteran a solid, giving him a chance to show he can still play in this league. But it's not like it would be the first time that Ken Holland made a brilliant foresight move. Getting a kid like this under contract would be a great coup, particularly with the imminent departures of Brad Stuart and (eventually) Lidstrom.

Dan DeKeyser won't off-set the losses of those fine gentlemen, but it'd certainly help having a guy like that in the pantry when it comes his time to make the jump to full-time NHLer.

If your "check the rules" was directed at me, you should ride your high horse elsewhere. I'm very familiar with the rules of the game and how these contracts work. Garnet Exelby will never play a game for the Red Wings, and I'd wager that you'd see a random kid like DeKeyser before you'd see him. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that in the playoffs, eh? =)

If the GRIFFINS wanted to sign him to an Amateur Tryout Contract, he'd be eligible to play for them without having an NHL deal -- but why would DeKeyser do that deal if he's going to get 30 offers? If he's a big time Wings fan and wants to stay close to home, he certainly may... but let's not poo poo the article just because it's 'feel good.'

The ONLY point is that by no means do I think they moved Commodore for the purpose of signing Danny.

They didn't need to do it, and therefore by that logic alone you should not infer that Commodore was moved for him.

Plus all the evidence that the Wings were talking to teams about adding players after the Commodore trade also negates it.

I have no problem with the article for talking about adding Danny. If you read my postings at all you'd know that. I am simply saying there is no reason to make Holland out to be some sort of genius for this. If Commodore was still on the team, Holland would still be trying to sign Danny. You have to admit that, and everyone has to see that.

I have no high horses, but I do have some common sense.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#24 JeeSpot82

JeeSpot82

The Production Line

• Gold Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

If Commodore was still on the team, Holland would still be trying to sign Danny. You have to admit that, and everyone has to see that.

See, but... he couldn't still be trying to sign him. They'd be at 50 contracts and it's past the point where you can even buy out someone on a deal. So... where's DeKeyser's deal going? Do you think he'd wait until the summer to sign somewhere to help the Wings? I'm seriously asking because that's most definitely an option.

Did I sensationalize the Holland Foresight thing? Maybe. But it's not like he's NOT brilliant when it comes to player management. It's not so far out of the realm of possibility that I'm ridiculous for breaching the subject.

#25 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

You know, it does make sense. We have one contract spot left open, right? We are a bit shallow on the defense prospect pool, and it does seem like we would be frontrunners (unless the kid just hates Michigan or Detroit). Yeah, I'd say this is pretty likely.

He is from Michigan and is a Red Wings and Tigers fan
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Inside Info:

My buddy told me today that Dan's mom is pushing for him to sign in Toronto. So add another team to the hopper...

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 March 2012 - 04:50 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#27 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

How likely is it that we sign a college kid and call him right up? Just doesn't seem like the Red Wing way.

It's not their way at all. But when you consider our best signed prospect defenseman is Logan Pyett, then yah, it sort of does make sense.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#28 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Inside Info:

My buddy told me today that Dan's mom is pushing for him to sign in Toronto. So add another team to the hopper...

?

Maybe she's from there?

#29 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

He can't play this year for us. They could still sign him to a contract for next year.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#30 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

?

Maybe she's from there?

I dont know why someone with a choice of where to sign as a defenseman would pick Toronto. They have a poor track record of developing D and the media hype this kid would get would be brutal. Keith Aulie was talking about how tough the media makes it to play in Toronto compared to Tampa.

Not to mention Toronto is a team with a tonne of young NHL ready dmen that they havent been able to get into the line up. They traded Aulie because of this and Holzer hasnt even seen a game yet this season because they have so many D.

Seems like she might be from there, because from a hockey standpoint its not logical to go there at all

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#31 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

The only reasons to pick any team over the Wings... would be more money or more playing time. Toronto can do both of those things. I just don't see that as an issue for someone who is in love with the Wings.

I know that if I was to have that level of skill, there is no question I would do anything to play for the Wings. I hate prima donnas, but even I would consider holding out and demanding a trade to Detroit to do it... so if I spent all that time risking my health playing without being drafted... I would DEFINITIVELY take the opportunity when it arose.

This is why I don't buy this as a must make move. I think the kid will come. You don't pass on dreams. It just makes sense to come here now, in two years when Lids is done... He would be on the team no doubt.

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

The only reasons to pick any team over the Wings... would be more money or more playing time. Toronto can do both of those things. I just don't see that as an issue for someone who is in love with the Wings.

I know that if I was to have that level of skill, there is no question I would do anything to play for the Wings. I hate prima donnas, but even I would consider holding out and demanding a trade to Detroit to do it... so if I spent all that time risking my health playing without being drafted... I would DEFINITIVELY take the opportunity when it arose.

This is why I don't buy this as a must make move. I think the kid will come. You don't pass on dreams. It just makes sense to come here now, in two years when Lids is done... He would be on the team no doubt.

Other teams cant offer more money, he will be on an ELC. Playing time would be the only thing

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Okay, here is some evidence to what I was saying... Sheahan just signed an amateur tryout for the Griffins... effectively joining our lower ranks without using any contract space. This is EXACTLY what I was suggesting they could do for Danny.

I think this effectively ends the speculation that trading Commodore was specifically for acquiring the outstanding Bronco from Western. Holland doesn't make the team weaker for a long term prospect when he doesn't need to, he would use the extent of the loopholes to get what he wants. I expect the week he is bounced from the NCAA tourney, will be the week he signs a try-out with the Griffins. Even if he signs a contract with the big club, which seems more likely, it does not logically follow that he wouldn't have signed a ATO or that he wouldn't have been a Wing.

Other teams cant offer more money, he will be on an ELC. Playing time would be the only thing

I could be wrong about that... but how then did Brunstrom make more money? He made like 1.8 his first year.

#34 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I could be wrong about that... but how then did Brunstrom make more money? He made like 1.8 his first year.

Different rules for an overseas, older player already playing pro hockey. Dekeyser can only be offered 950k (I tihnk thats the number) plus like 300k in bonuses. He'll get an offer along those lines from every team most likely and will choose the best situation for him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#35 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well, his season is over. If he wants I am sure he can be playing for the Griffins really soon. He could have a contract by tomorrow if he wants.

Anyone want to take bets? Over under Wednesday?

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well, his season is over. If he wants I am sure he can be playing for the Griffins really soon. He could have a contract by tomorrow if he wants.

Anyone want to take bets? Over under Wednesday?

My buddy is picking Dan's sister up at the airport tonight at 10:30pm, he said he will try to find out anything he can about what may be on Dan's mind...hopefully I can break some news before anyone else around the NHL hears, but things get out pretty fast in today's world!

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 March 2012 - 04:34 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

*UPDATE*

According to my friend (the one who date's Dan's sister) Dan is making a decision on Thursday! Of course this just after Holland decides to send Smith back to GRR in favor of a less talented Kindl. That doesn't show Dan much confidence that Holland seriously wants him in Detroit, but only to play in GRR for 4-5 years first. Holland is going to shoot the pooch on this one with the way he has handled Smith. If Danny signs somewhere else it will be all Holland's fault in the way he handles his players. Say what you want about Holland and his supposed best GM in the world status, but he definitely messed up by sending Smith down and not just sitting Kindl. He better hope that Danny wants to be a Red Wing so bad that he is willing to pass up instant NHL play to sign here and be stuck in GRR until he has no more options to be sent down...but I doubt that will happen. Danny will sign somewhere else, become a star and Holland will still be considered the best? This is what I laugh at. A combo of Smith and Dekeyser would be much more physical and productive that Kindl/Ericsson. I certainly hope Danny wants to be a Red Wing REALLY bad!

Also, Dan's mom likes what Burke is saying in Toronto and now Philly and Calgary are involved in wanting to sign him...along with Tampa still. He said Dan told him that he wants to play in Detroit, so I hope that he chooses here. But he could be a millionaire in one of the other cities and be playing NHL NOW, but not so much on a 2-way contract in GRR. I don't get Holland sometimes, Smith has done more in his short time here than Kindl has done his entire career...well, at least this year.

All I got to say is Holland best not miss out on this one....

EDIT: Not that I am saying Danny should be in the lineup now with Smith, but there is no way Holland should let Dekeyser go somewhere else and he should ditch Kindl over the summer and have Danny be one of the constant call ups all season long. But the prospect of being buried in GRR for 4-5 years cannot be too attractive...

Edited by LeftWinger, 26 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#38 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

So you would rather have had Kindl waived and lose him to another team who would have claimed him than send down Smith? Unreal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

So you would rather have had Kindl waived and lose him to another team who would have claimed him than send down Smith? Unreal.

No, from what I understand is that there is no roster limits so Kindl would not have to be sent anywhere, but Holland chose to play Kindl over Smith and didn't want smith sitting and not playing, which I understand, but he should be playing over Kindl...he is much better than Kindl...let Kindl sit in the pressbox.

EDIT: and I'd much rather have Smith and Dekeyser here over Kindl anyway, so trade Kindl in the offseason for whatever you can get for him, which isn't gonna be much...maybe future considerations if they're lucky...and no, I didn't neg you...

Edited by LeftWinger, 26 March 2012 - 05:26 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#40 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Besides, Kindl hsa peaked....he was drafted in 2005...he is what he is, nothing more, nothing less. If anyone with half a mind thinks that he is going to improve his game after 7 years already playing pro hockey, then you need to take that brain back to the lab....same goes with Ericsson, you've seen his best. He may be solid, but he isn't going to get any better, he may stay the same, but he is not going to be as good as Kronwall, he is a career #5/6...Kindl is a #7 on a contending team, maybe a #5/6 on Carolina or Columbus...

www.thinkdunes.com