12 replies to this topic

#1 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Suspended indefinitely for a clean hit.
1. he should not be skating with his head down in that fashion in that area of the ice, 2. he is way low which makes it look worse, but he did it at the last second.

halmo will probably be suspended for life or something ridiculous like that.
last year this clean hit got 20 games:

Edited by jollymania, 13 March 2012 - 02:03 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#2 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

That second hit is what blows my mind. At least the first one made contact with the head, but IDK if I consider either hit dirty.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Well if the Kronwall hit and non-suspension was any indication, players won't skate with their heads down at the NHL level for too long.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

That second hit is what blows my mind. At least the first one made contact with the head, but IDK if I consider either hit dirty.

Agreed. That first one made contact, but the player who got hit clearly droppped his head by over a foot immediately before the hit.

That second one, I don't even know what to say. I would shake my head if that got a one game suspension, but 20 games is just beyond retarded.

#5 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Both are legit hockey hits. The difference though is that kids play in the OHL, and Hockey Canada has a moral responsibility to protect them even if that overrides some fundamental game rules.

works every time

#6 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Agreed. That first one made contact, but the player who got hit clearly droppped his head by over a foot immediately before the hit.

That second one, I don't even know what to say. I would shake my head if that got a one game suspension, but 20 games is just beyond retarded.

Definitely. I was just saying that AT LEAST in the first hit he made contact with the head, albeit that it was the player with the pucks fault. Second hit just looked like a good clean hard hockey hit.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#7 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Kids are going to learn pretty quick (I hope at least) to skate with there heads up.
IPB Image

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Kids are going to learn pretty quick (I hope at least) to skate with there heads up.

Agreed.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Both are legit hockey hits. The difference though is that kids play in the OHL, and Hockey Canada has a moral responsibility to protect them even if that overrides some fundamental game rules.

I see what you mean, but at the same time it is teaching these kids that it is OK to skate with your head down and make dangerous plays because nobody can touch you when you do.

If these kids come into the NHL with that attitude since that is what they've been taught, they are going to get seriously injured.

#10 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I see what you mean, but at the same time it is teaching these kids that it is OK to skate with your head down and make dangerous plays because nobody can touch you when you do.

If these kids come into the NHL with that attitude since that is what they've been taught, they are going to get seriously injured.

I don't know if a suspension here or there for legal but very severe hits will really deter players from finishing their checks. I don't think anyone has suggested that you can't hit someone with their head down at all either. It's more of a fine line than that - probably more along the lines of "you can hit the guy with his head down, but for chrissakes don't try to kill him". If 10% is taken off either of those checks the same lesson is learned and a few brain cells are kept in tact (the guy may still even be injured).

works every time

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

10 games for Halmo.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=622562

#12 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Didn't he leave his feet and catch him in the head with an elbow? I understand the lunge for the puck dropped the other player down low, but that probably causes the suspension to be less than it otherwise would be. You cannot remove all responsibility from the hitter just because the player getting hit put himself in a vulnerable position.

#13 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Great hits - disregard their suspensions an keep playing like that. Its disgraceful that those are suspensions ... when a playing is attacking your zone bent over leading with their head what is someone supposed to do? Vorachek them - thats what.