• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

If you Could Change Five Outcomes in Hockey History

Rate this topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Devils weren't even close to reaching the Cup Finals in 2009.

Lost in the first round to the Canes, but if I recall correctly it was an awesome fast-paced 7 game series.

I wouldn't change the outcome of the series, but I would've given the Flyers a little more adversity in the rounds leading up to the 97 SCF. Maybe they would've been more prepared to handle the Wings, go on to win the Cup and Vladdy and Sergei Manotzokonov (sp?) never get into the limo that changed their lives. Then again, the driver would have kept his license and perhaps injured or killed somebody else...

Not a fan of when people bring up Clarke's slash but make no mention of the Russians play/antics. Kicking with skates on is fine and overlooked by some, but Clarke's slash is the worst thing seen in the hockey world. Russians saying they couldnt find hotels for the Canadians wives and jailing Canadian fans for cheering too much are a couple other things that come to mind.

Dirty play gets you dirty play. The Canadians weren't saints, but the Russians didnt mind trying to play a style of game the Canadians had perfected

Not a fan of when people bring up Clarke's slash but make no mention of the Russians play/antics. Kicking with skates on is fine and overlooked by some, but Clarke's slash is the worst thing seen in the hockey world. Russians saying they couldnt find hotels for the Canadians wives and jailing Canadian fans for cheering too much are a couple other things that come to mind.

Dirty play gets you dirty play. The Canadians weren't saints, but the Russians didnt mind trying to play a style of game the Canadians had perfected

From what I've read and heard, the Russian players were instructed by their coach not to fight back. Vasiliev was the only player that really disregarded these orders constantly.

I don't think the majority of their players knew how to respond when faced with cheap play. And I don't remember how many Russian players tried to kick someone with their skates. Wasn't it just one incident? Also, the off ice stuff doesn't pertain to the Russian players. They had nothing to do with the Canadian players wives and the fans being treated a certain way.

In any case, the Clarke play was the cheapest on ice play during the whole series. Despite denials, it was likely the coach instructing him to take Kharlamov out. That's why it gets so much attention. Imagine if some current NHL coach instructed one of his players to take the other team's star off the ice in the SCF.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest irishock

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Devils weren't even close to reaching the Cup Finals in 2009.

Carolina just got hot at the right time.