• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Nyquist needs to stay here

Rate this topic

I remember a few months ago someone posted a link from TSN that said the Wings don't have a replacement for Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen yet, unlike 2002 and 2003 when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were starting out with Shanahan and Yzerman on the decline. I think we've got our replacement now, and Datsyuk is only 33, and Zetterberg 31... We're ahead of schedule too, because Shanny and Stevie were 34 and 37 in Zetterberg's rookie year.

Miller has played centre on occasion i believe and has played well, so he could fill that role. Homer should be in the press box cause in a limited role, Mursak is more effective. He doesn't give the puck away and he's WAY faster on the backcheck and forecheck.

Miller's a big guy and would probably have to use it more at center I imagine. Could do well.

And as people have mentioned, I agree that Nyquist should be played with top line guys in the way that both Zetterberg and Datsyuk did in their rookie years. Certain players, like say Helm and Abby for arguments sake, grow by working with each other and almost bouncing off one another - kind of thinking about the chemistry that Drapes and Maltby had for all those years - whereas a player like Nyquist can grow to be like Z or Dats and be a top line guy who can really play with anyone, and can adapt a game to yield the best results. I say let the boy run around and have some fun :)

EDIT: Clarification

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

I hope Babcock keeps Franzen on a short leash and switches him out with Nyquist if he shows signs of not competing. Granted, I'd love for The Mule to come out and blast away like in '08 but if he doesn't, he might need to be demoted for a kid who has earned a top six spot.

I'd rather Nyquist play with Z/Flip he just seemed like he clicked a bit more. Plus Datsyuk can get any of Bert/Mule/Hudler because he's ******* DATSYUK. But doesn't it feel great to question where one of our prospects should play on the top 2 lines?

There's no way in hell Babs is touching the Z-Fil-Hud line right now. They're firing on all cylinders and are literally a threat to score every single time they're on the ice. The chemistry that line is showing right now hasn't been seen in Detroit since the hay-days of the ZDH line. The way they hold on to the puck and force the opposition to chase them around their own zone is mesmerizing.

Like you said, Dats can get anyone going...so let him work a line with Bert, Mule and Nyqvist rotating.

....and Yes, Nyqvist and Mursak are first two kids I've been this excited about in a very long time. I truly believe we've finally found some young kids that will be game changers in a few years.

I wouldn't play Nyquist on the 3rd line. If you're going to keep him around, give him better linemates who can take advantage of his skill set.

Put Bertuzzi on the checking line instead. Still not sure what we should do with Cleary, though.

I wouldn't play Nyquist on the 3rd line. If you're going to keep him around, give him better linemates who can take advantage of his skill set.

Put Bertuzzi on the checking line instead. Still not sure what we should do with Cleary, though.

I was thinking maybe they put Mule on the third line and move Cleary down to the 4th line with Emmy and Homer, Mursak healthy scratch.

Top 2 lines are clicking right now, wouldn't want to see them apart.

Edited by redwingfan19

I was thinking maybe they put Mule on the third line and move Cleary down to the 4th line with Emmy and Homer, Mursak healthy scratch.

^This is a good idea but I will guess Babs throw's Mules lazy ass on a line with Pav and Bert.

Agreed on the second line, but is the first line clicking any better now than it was when Datsyuk was healthy earlier in the season and was top 5 (in the league) in points while Franzen was leading the team in goals? The line is good with Nyquist, but they aren't setting the world on fire by any means. I'd like to see Franzen back on line one, Nyquist down to the third, and Cleary healthy scratched for a while to rest his knee (or on the fourth line if he absolutely must be in the lineup for these last 6 games). I disagree with dropping Mursak from the lineup. He's the only fourth liner who fore checks effectively and makes it hard on the d-men to play.

Edited by kipwinger

i'm liking the sound of that. Babcock shuffled the lines around quite a bit last game against CBJ. Z - Dats - Homer played together for a bit too. Bert - Hudler - Flip was also a highly effective line when together. I think Nyquist could be a good fit with Franzen. Even if the Wings had 3 scoring lines and a grind line it could work.

7 games in the recent call up, 6 points while creating numerous chances for his linemates and himself. Soon has he gets the killer instinct (which granted, took Filppula about 5 seasons to learn), he'll really be sparking offense. I'd personally like him to continue to play with Bert and Datsyuk, but I have no doubt F(loat)zen be back on that line come Wednesday. I also like the idea of resting Cleary the remaining games if possible. He hasn't been bad the last few games, but if he is bothered that much by injury it'd be better he bow-out for a few.

just have to say....i really enjoy the way wings players grow up through our system....Dats and Z were basically mentored by Hull and everybody and now Dats is being that mentor for Nyquist....makes me all teary eyed when i see Dats bringing out this kids full potential out there, and molding him into our next great superstar lol GO WINGS! BEST FRANCHISE IN SPORTS HISTORY!