• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Miller has played centre on occasion i believe and has played well, so he could fill that role. Homer should be in the press box cause in a limited role, Mursak is more effective. He doesn't give the puck away and he's WAY faster on the backcheck and forecheck.

I remember filling in for a couple games because there was no choice. I don't think Miller can really be counted on, as a centre, for any elongated period of time. But who knows, maybe you're right

To me Nyquist fits better with Datsyuk and Franzen (over Fil and Zetterberg) because although he's not really a shoot first guy his speed creates goal scoring chances for him. Both he and Hudler are pass first guys but I think nyquist speed would do more to open up space for Datsyuk and Franzen than having Hudler with the pair. Plus, I think Zetterberg is so much more of a shooter than Datsyuk that Hudler on a line with two guys that are shooting the puck a lot makes sense. I just see more benefit to Nyquist with Datsyuk and Franzen (especially considering the chemistry Nyquist and Franzen had in the preseason) and leaving Hudler with Fil and Zetterberg
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I agree that Nyquist should stay with the big club. But come playoff time I think the Helm injury really stings because now the Wings are short on centres. Once Franzen returns it would be more ideal to take Emmerton out of the line up in order to keep Nyquist in but then there is no fourth line centre. It would be nice (and potentially realistic) to see:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler
Cleary - Abdelkader - Bertuzzi
Miller - Emmerton - Holmstrom/Mursak

That's where it's annoying because obviously I'd like Mursak to continue playing but I do also think Holmstrom will be valuable in the playoffs.

Swap Cleary and Miller. Cleary's hurt and Miller has been extremely impressive for most of the season. No way do I diminish his ice time with how well he's played. When Helm get's back swap him with Abby and move Abby in for Emmerton and there you go.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Swap Cleary and Miller. Cleary's hurt and Miller has been extremely impressive for most of the season. No way do I diminish his ice time with how well he's played. When Helm get's back swap him with Abby and move Abby in for Emmerton and there you go.

I agree. Miller has been awesome this year, he has 14 goals (?) and plays limited minutes, and plays with different linemates throughout the entire season.

#24 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Nyquiest weighs more than 180 lbs. Most things I have seen show him at 185!

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Nyquiest weighs more than 180 lbs. Most things I have seen show him at 185!

http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8474679

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Nyquist has looked good, no reason to send him back down
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#27 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Beautiful feed from Pavel for his first. He's got so much potential.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#28 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

love nyquist but if holland sent smith down you have to expect that when franzen is back he'll send nyquist back too.... :(

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#29 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

I remember a few months ago someone posted a link from TSN that said the Wings don't have a replacement for Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Franzen yet, unlike 2002 and 2003 when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were starting out with Shanahan and Yzerman on the decline. I think we've got our replacement now, and Datsyuk is only 33, and Zetterberg 31... We're ahead of schedule too, because Shanny and Stevie were 34 and 37 in Zetterberg's rookie year.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#30 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

#31 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

The way Nyquist has played and looked so natural and not out of place at all on a scoring line kind of reminds me of the way Zetterberg's career began when he started out on the Shanahan-Fedorov-Zetterberg line.

#32 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Congrats to Gustav for scoring his 1st Career NHL Goal!! This kid is a good, smart, young player, can't wait to see him fully developed!!

#33 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Miller has played centre on occasion i believe and has played well, so he could fill that role. Homer should be in the press box cause in a limited role, Mursak is more effective. He doesn't give the puck away and he's WAY faster on the backcheck and forecheck.

Miller's a big guy and would probably have to use it more at center I imagine. Could do well.

And as people have mentioned, I agree that Nyquist should be played with top line guys in the way that both Zetterberg and Datsyuk did in their rookie years. Certain players, like say Helm and Abby for arguments sake, grow by working with each other and almost bouncing off one another - kind of thinking about the chemistry that Drapes and Maltby had for all those years - whereas a player like Nyquist can grow to be like Z or Dats and be a top line guy who can really play with anyone, and can adapt a game to yield the best results. I say let the boy run around and have some fun :)

EDIT: Clarification

Edited by Wing Across The Pond, 27 March 2012 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#34 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Congrads to Nyquist on scoring his first NHL goal :clap: And wow that pass from Pavel :thumbup:
IPB Image

#35 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Ansar khan is reporting that

Nyquist rotating with Mursak on 4th line in practice for Wings.

Mule back with dats and bert.

#36 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ansar khan is reporting that Mule back with dats and bert.

Say it's not so :scared:
IPB Image

#37 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I hope Babcock keeps Franzen on a short leash and switches him out with Nyquist if he shows signs of not competing. Granted, I'd love for The Mule to come out and blast away like in '08 but if he doesn't, he might need to be demoted for a kid who has earned a top six spot.

#38 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'd rather Nyquist play with Z/Flip he just seemed like he clicked a bit more. Plus Datsyuk can get any of Bert/Mule/Hudler because he'sf****** DATSYUK. But doesn't it feel great to question where one of our prospects should play on the top 2 lines?

There's no way in hell Babs is touching the Z-Fil-Hud line right now. They're firing on all cylinders and are literally a threat to score every single time they're on the ice. The chemistry that line is showing right now hasn't been seen in Detroit since the hay-days of the ZDH line. The way they hold on to the puck and force the opposition to chase them around their own zone is mesmerizing.

Like you said, Dats can get anyone going...so let him work a line with Bert, Mule and Nyqvist rotating.

....and Yes, Nyqvist and Mursak are first two kids I've been this excited about in a very long time. I truly believe we've finally found some young kids that will be game changers in a few years.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#39 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ansar saying Franzen says he will play tmr. Franzen sounds like he enjoys being his own doctor?

#40 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

keep him in the lineup even if it has to be on the third line...