• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Crazy

Call the team out

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

THE RED WINGS ARE LAZY AND THEY SUCK! There. It felt good to get that out of my system. Now it's back to being a homer! Come on Wings! Snap the hell out of it! It's GO TIME! :thumbup:

hmmmmm

You mean the John Tortorella who hasn't taken a team out of the first round since the lockout? The John Tortorella who has missed the playoffs entirely two of the last 4 years? The John Tortorella who has taken the Rangers to a grand total of 12 playoff games during his tenure, while going 4-8 in those games? Who cares how he inspires?

Note the words in my post "pure example". Just commenting on the concept of inspiring by love or fear in which which no teams or coaches were being referenced. No names, just the concept. I applied Torts to this line of thinking as an example because I can't really name a coach (who still has a job) that inspires their team via "love". Btw...you inspire me to want to read and comprehend posts before commenting. Thanks.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Note the words in my post "pure example". Just commenting on the concept of inspiring by love or fear in which which no teams or coaches were being referenced. No names, just the concept. I applied Torts to this line of thinking as an example because I can't really name a coach (who still has a job) that inspires their team via "love". Btw...you inspire me to want to read and comprehend posts before commenting. Thanks.

I'm joining this conversation late. What was your point about the differing methods of inspiration?

First of all let me thank you for being my high school English teacher in doing a nice job correcting my grammar.

I hate to tell you but nothing in my post had anything to do with correcting your grammar. When you quote someone and modify the exact quote at all you are supposed to put it in brackets to show that you the modification. If I wanted to correct your grammar or show that it was improper I could use [sic] to show that there was a grammatical error but I needed to use the word "are" for proper grammar in the sentence I was writing. I could care less about your grammar.

Second of all when did I say the sky was falling?

Perhaps, in these statements:

99% of Franzens shots miss the net by a country mile.

Same with Hudler, for every good pass he makes he commits 3 turnovers.

We have been playing lackluster with flashes of brilliance for 2 seasons now.

Even with the terrible play of late the Wings are still 4th in Points in the entire NHL.

Everyone sees Holland as the second coming of Christ that does no wrong. Everyone seems to think that we can steam roll any team we are put in front of. I suppose that is why we have had early exits two years in a row now? . . . We as Wings fans have been incredibly spoiled with our success but it has also led to the fans being completely oblivious to thinking we could ever have any issues.

There may be a couple or random posters but seriously, who are you talking about? Most here acknowledge that there are problems with the team (as in almost every team, every year) but think that Holland by far one the better GM's in the league and that even with the recent poor play (which coincides with the "problem" of Dats, Lids, Jimmy, and 4 others injured) the Wings when they get healthy will still have as good a shot as anyone at the Cup.

Finally, regarding the "early exits" the last two years we still went to the second round of the playoff (and game 7 of that series last year), I know it is not what Wings fans hope for but only 4 teams out of 30 got farther than us the last two years.

This is what happens when a team is small and plays big. They get hurt and can't play to their potential. This is not a player integrity issue, this is not a coaching issue. This is a GM issue. Kenny has been good, but he has been very lucky too. Kenny has jumped the shark!

Couldnt agree more. This lineup has needed a couple of dependable big bodied workhorses to complement our lineup of racehorses for 3 years now. Hal Gill and Paul Gaustad are two guys that would have been fantastic acquisitions for depth, size, and defence. If this rash of injuries came a month earlier Id like to think that 'Laurel Restington' would have made a few of the moves Im talking about.

Couldnt agree more. This lineup has needed a couple of dependable big bodied workhorses to complement our lineup of racehorses for 3 years now. Hal Gill and Paul Gaustad are two guys that would have been fantastic acquisitions for depth, size, and defence. If this rash of injuries came a month earlier Id like to think that 'Laurel Restington' would have made a few of the moves Im talking about.

We didn't have what it took to pick up Gaustad, a first round pick. We used that on Quincey. Would you rather have a 4th line center or a top-4 defenseman?

All that needs to happen is ride this out. The team will respond as players respond individually.

Couldn't agree more. We have some seasoned vets who are known as clutch playoff performers (Z, Pavs, Franzen, etc.) and assuming this team gets healthy as playoffs arrive, it's a clean slate.

If the Wings do, however, flop in the playoffs I'd bet there are going to be some pretty substantial changes in the offseason.

I'm joining this conversation late. What was your point about the differing methods of inspiration?

Poster "Chunky Lover" posted about two ways in which to inspire; through love or fear. I simply made the comment about thinking of which of those two ways, as pure example, which one of those I thought John Tortorella subscribed to. I just picked Torts as an example not based on any winning/success that he's has or hasn't had...just picked him. Frozen-Man didn't read my statement that I chose Tort's as pure example, which lead to him making comments about how Tort's is a not a successful coach and who cares.

Poster "Chunky Lover" posted about two ways in which to inspire; through love or fear. I simply made the comment about thinking of which of those two ways, as pure example, which one of those I thought John Tortorella subscribed to. I just picked Torts as an example not based on any winning/success that he's has or hasn't had...just picked him. Frozen-Man didn't read my statement that I chose Tort's as pure example, which lead to him making comments about how Tort's is a not a successful coach and who cares.

Oh ok. Well Torts isn't very successful and he inspires by being a hardass, and Bruce Boudreau isn't very successful and uses the other approach. My guess is, either method could be successful depending on the way the coach and the team interact.

I read your statement, I didn't and still don't understand it's relevance at all.

Oh ok. Well Torts isn't very successful and he inspires by being a hardass, and Bruce Boudreau isn't very successful and uses the other approach. My guess is, either method could be successful depending on the way the coach and the team interact.

I completely agree.

Thinking about Babs in this regard, my gut is that he uses the hardass with the lower performing and younger players, and the other approach with the likes of Lids, Dats, Z, etc... It's hard to tell with Babs though, he's so composed in the media that I never know what the interaction is 'behind the scene".

I completely agree.

Thinking about Babs in this regard, my gut is that he uses the hardass with the lower performing and younger players, and the other approach with the likes of Lids, Dats, Z, etc... It's hard to tell with Babs though, he's so composed in the media that I never know what the interaction is 'behind the scene".

It's cute how you go back through the thread -1 all my posts. :clap::blush::P

The biggest flaw I see with the way this team is playing right now is the lack of defensive zone pressure. You can't expect to get the puck while defending in your zone if you just play back on your heels and let them pass around you. Hustling back on the play and on the forecheck a bit more wouldn't hurt much either.

You don't understand comments/posts about different coaching styles/motivational styles in a thread about Calling the team out???

Awesome!!

I understood other poster's comment on the subject, just not yours. All I could assume was you were advocating for Tort's style because NY is playing well this year. Throw in the "Awesome!" if you want but perhaps it wasn't a comprehension problem so much as a conveyance problem. Really, what is this supposed to mean?

Thinking about this and asking myself this question as a pure example of the two way listed above to inspire:

Does John Tortorella inspire performance through love?

Does John Tortorella inspire performance through fear?

hmmmmm

What does that add to the conversation? You don't state Torts is a good coach, if his style works in NY, if his style would work here, if Babs has a similar or different style, or if Babs could/should emulate Tort's style. I still contend that your comment had no real relevance to the conversation, was it just a Deep Thought by Jack Handy?

Once again, a user neggs and is too yellow to debate!

Anyhow, Calling Out now will be useless....change is needed if the players don't show up come playoffs. There are "certain" players who take most nights off. They score in bunches and are very VERY inconsistent. If this team gets eliminated in the first round. Anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Smith, Howard, Helm, Abdelkader and Kronwall should be "available." Trade the entire team? No, but no serious offer will be unheard. Unfortunately the guys I listed will probably be the only ones asked about....

At the risk of sounding like Eva, Hudler hasn't been nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. The guy has put up 42 points so far this season, half of which are goals. Are some of them luck or the result of good linemates, of course. However, name one NHL'er who doesn't get lucky goals or benefits from playing with good linemates. s***, Z scores some terribly lucky goals. His off-angle shots always magically go in and sometimes they tend to fall when he's in his worst slumps.

Again, I'm in the same boat with you as Franzen. Cleary hasn't been himself much of the season either, but I expect way more out of Franzen than I do #11.

Great post......I still have no idea why everyone is on the Hudler hate train since the guy will put up 50 plus pts this year. EVERYONE lives and dies by their line mates....nobody would know is better than whomever is next to Lids on the ice. Franzen is a completely other story because he is lazy and he looks like it's a chore for the guy to be there. He is the most frustrating player to watch.

This team needs to get healthy and the coach needs to start sitting people down who won't play. If Franzen won't skate I'd rather see Mursak on the power play......same with everyone on this team

This is what happens when a team is small and plays big. They get hurt and can't play to their potential. This is not a player integrity issue, this is not a coaching issue. This is a GM issue. Kenny has been good, but he has been very lucky too. Kenny has jumped the shark!

Yep....must be why we won the cup in 08 and went to game seven the next year. It's not the size of the dog, ya know?

We didn't have what it took to pick up Gaustad, a first round pick. We used that on Quincey. Would you rather have a 4th line center or a top-4 defenseman?

We had half a million available to sculpt an adjustment. Sorry, I don't buy that they couldn't find a fit. They simply didn't get on it early enough and or weren't creative enough. Weather they admit it or not they did not do what they needed to do. I am confident that the real architect Jimmy D will fix it. With or without Kenny.

Yep....must be why we won the cup in 08 and went to game seven the next year. It's not the size of the dog, ya know?

That was a more skilled team & the rest of the western teams had not caught up to the new financial requirements & the teams in the west were chasing a finesse style of play.

The western teams are bigger now, we are less skilled & there is far more parody in the west. Today, the sharks are 9 points above 500 & are not in the play offs. It's not 08.

What is this team's advantage over the one in 2008?

I'd like to ******* know, since that every damn poster here keeps talking about our damn losing streak in February of 2008. It's getting annoying quite honestly.

What does this team do better than the 2008 Wings team did?

Once again, a user neggs and is too yellow to debate!

Anyhow, Calling Out now will be useless....change is needed if the players don't show up come playoffs. There are "certain" players who take most nights off. They score in bunches and are very VERY inconsistent. If this team gets eliminated in the first round. Anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Smith, Howard, Helm, Abdelkader and Kronwall should be "available." Trade the entire team? No, but no serious offer will be unheard. Unfortunately the guys I listed will probably be the only ones asked about....

Helm, Abdelkader, and Smith are untouchable but not Filppula huh? I really hope that was an oversight.

What is this team's advantage over the one in 2008?

I'd like to ******* know, since that every damn poster here keeps talking about our damn losing streak in February of 2008. It's getting annoying quite honestly.

What does this team do better than the 2008 Wings team did?

I don't understand the comparisons because there are none. The 08 team had 1st in the west locked down by the time the injury streak hit, and we had alot more offensive depth back then. That team was consistent and was top 5 in both GF and GA, right now our current team is a mess. And to make matters worse, I realize we're missing our 2 best players, but that's all were missing (I like Eaves but he's been gone so long, Ericsson is the 6th defenceman, and Kindl the 7th). In 08 we had everyone go out at the same time it seemed like, and we still held onto 1st. This year, no chance at it, we're gonna be lucky to get home ice at all unfortunately.

I don't understand the comparisons because there are none. The 08 team had 1st in the west locked down by the time the injury streak hit, and we had alot more offensive depth back then. That team was consistent and was top 5 in both GF and GA, right now our current team is a mess. And to make matters worse, I realize we're missing our 2 best players, but that's all were missing (I like Eaves but he's been gone so long, Ericsson is the 6th defenceman, and Kindl the 7th). In 08 we had everyone go out at the same time it seemed like, and we still held onto 1st. This year, no chance at it, we're gonna be lucky to get home ice at all unfortunately.

Also, over the last 21 games we are dead last in the league in pp. It's not about bashing the wings. It's about appreciating what is real (there is still plenty to appreciate) and wait for the next few adjustments to be made. In Jimmy D I trust!