• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Im glad we have a coach that doesn't lose his cool all the time. He could be saying in post game "we suck, this guy sucks, the fans on LGW are right we need a shakeup." Then he would be losing the respect of his players and eventually be out of a job. A call out isn't what this team needs....what they do need is everyone healthy and in playing shape, and a few goals to add as well. Chill out mofo's, it's an 82 game season, and we have a banged up team. What, you think they're gonna win every single game? Fans should support the team, encourage them, be optimistic.. Everytime the Wings lose, its off with someones head... Obviously they care more about a healthy team, young guys opportunity, and long playoff run rather than busting ass to get the P trophy and being wore and tore by the time the postseason begins.

On a side note... has Hudler scored a goal in a game where the Wings didn't lose?

#42 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

There are two ways to inspire performance: fear and love.

A coach can yell at his players and chide them personally in the media and maybe get them to perform at a high level for a while, but eventually that method burns itself out. No one wants to be angry all the time, and eventually players stop caring.

The alternative is to take the long-view approach. Set a goal and encourage people to perform in a positive way. This way can seem ineffective to outsiders, but the coach and players know they are all on the same team and support each other.

Think about what environment you perform your best work in. Ask yourself whether you can maintain the standard for performance in your job that you hold over these players. The goal is to win, and laziness needs to be discouraged, but these constant calls for benching players or calling them out reflects confusion of what constitutes effective leadership.

Thinking about this and asking myself this question as a pure example of the two way listed above to inspire:
Does John Tortorella inspire performance through love?
Does John Tortorella inspire performance through fear?

hmmmmm
ENJOY THE RIDE

#43 hudler sucks

hudler sucks

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

His point was about giving up the short handed goals. I'm pretty sure it was Smith that lost the puck that led to the shorty last night. The guys has 10 NHL games under his belt. It happens. I think that was the point.

So Smith caused one. Who caused all the rest? The usual suspects.

At the risk of sounding like Eva, Hudler hasn't been nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. The guy has put up 42 points so far this season, half of which are goals. Are some of them luck or the result of good linemates, of course. However, name one NHL'er who doesn't get lucky goals or benefits from playing with good linemates. s***, Z scores some terribly lucky goals. His off-angle shots always magically go in and sometimes they tend to fall when he's in his worst slumps.

Hudler is the worst 20-goal scorer in the league. I would take literally any player that currently has 20+ goals over him.

#44 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hudler is the worst 20-goal scorer in the league. I would take literally any player that currently has 20+ goals over him.

Never would have guessed by your avatar. Very subtle.

#45 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

On a side note... has Hudler scored a goal in a game where the Wings didn't lose?

There are two I know of for sure: he scored two in the Jan 3 win over Dallas as well as another on Jan 17 plus the SO winner.

Never would have guessed by your avatar. Very subtle.

Or the screen name.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#46 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Exactly.

I am getting tired of hearing the same lame "when we get Dats and Lids back, we'll be perfect again" Maybe in some ideal fantasy world, yes. But in reality that ignores the facts that the PP still sucked before they left along with the points mentioned above. Its a lame excuse that ignores the fact that the team had the same problems with them in the lineup.

And I don't even know what to say about the PP. Its been absolutely dismal all year. Wings are currently under 16% on the PP. Think about that. That is beyond horrible for the Wings.

I don't disagree with the fact that the PP was not doing well before Dats and Lids got hurt, although it has been even worse with them out. The point however, is that when they were in, the Wings were winning a lot more (the only thing that ultimately matters) were 1st in their division, 1st in their conference, and in a daily battle for 1st in the NHL. They are no longer winning as much, and are not 1st in any of the standings. That is the real problem and that is directly related to Pavel and Nick being out.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#47 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thinking about this and asking myself this question as a pure example of the two way listed above to inspire:
Does John Tortorella inspire performance through love?
Does John Tortorella inspire performance through fear?

hmmmmm

hmmmmm

You mean the John Tortorella who hasn't taken a team out of the first round since the lockout? The John Tortorella who has missed the playoffs entirely two of the last 4 years? The John Tortorella who has taken the Rangers to a grand total of 12 playoff games during his tenure, while going 4-8 in those games? Who cares how he inspires?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#48 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

and is it just me, or do we need to take Hudler off the 2nd line and put Cleary there maybe? park his ass in front of the net?

Cleary won't do any better than Hudler. Datsyuk Z and Flip are our only good top 6 forwards. When he comes back I think we should put Datsyuk with Franzen and Hudler and see if that works at all, and Bert with Z and Flip. I'm pretty sure that's our best best. Put Nyquist with Helm and Miller and on the fourth line use Abdelkader, Cleary and Mursak.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#49 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

one of the main reasons the PP is so terrible is cause of the constant giveaways on each unit by Homer and Cleary. They are both somewhat weak at carrying the puck through any traffic whatsoever and end up blindly throwing the puck away and unfortunately 8 out of 10 times it goes directly to the other team. another point on Homer is his lack of points. if he's not producing anything in what?...20 games? then get him off the PP and move Hudler up to forward. atleast Huds can one-time the puck. Homer needs to hang out in the press box. and keep Nyquist up and maybe toss him on the PP with Dats and Mule when Dats is back.

Hudler played forward on the PP unit against the Flyers and still managed to skate the puck towards the point and gave it away and a short handed goal ensued.. Hudler is NOT an answer on the PP. He should not be on the ice during the PP.

#50 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yep and someone will go down in the playoffs and they will exit that round. A team built like that is a team built to lose when it matters. A team does not give up 4 SHGs in 6 games because Dats and Lids are missing. A team does not forget how to play defense because Lids is hurt. There are bigger problems with this team than injuries.

It's because most of those guys look good because they play with Dats or Lids. When they have to make their own decision or their own chance they choke. I thought of Hudler the entire time I typed this
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#51 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

So Smith caused one. Who caused all the rest? The usual suspects.

And the forwards up front producing brutal giveaways which lead to an odd man rush the other way have nothing to do with it? Perhaps you need to start looking at more than just the stat sheet. You know...an actual game is being played.

You might as well call someone Hitler. Given your s/n and avatar coupled with your comments, it gives you zero credibility.

While Hudler frustrates me from time to time, the fact that you can't see his assets makes your contentions meaningless.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#52 puck9595

puck9595

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Edited by puck9595, 14 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#53 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Babcock needs to find a way to light a fire. Franzen can't hit the broadside of a barn if it was 6 inches in front of him, Happy turn-over Hudler makes better tape to tape passes to the opponent.

Is it just a coincidence that you call out the two players that managed to score in our last game?

Imo people are making too much of this current slump. Yes SLUMP. That's what it is, not some major problems with the team. We got a few injuries and either because of that or because the planets have aligned, the team is in a bad stretch.

But if it wasn't for St.Louis complete refusal to lose any game, we'd still be very close to the Conference lead.

We just gotta realize we are in a SICK division this year. The Blues, Preds, Wings and Hawks are probably 4 of the top 10 or even 8 teams in the league. And the Blues especially are looking unstoppable.

This bad stretch wouldn't be so terrible a normal year, but now it hurts because the other teams in our division are almost never losing.

#54 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Is it just a coincidence that you call out the two players that managed to score in our last game?

Imo people are making too much of this current slump. Yes SLUMP. That's what it is, not some major problems with the team. We got a few injuries and either because of that or because the planets have aligned, the team is in a bad stretch.

But if it wasn't for St.Louis complete refusal to lose any game, we'd still be very close to the Conference lead.

We just gotta realize we are in a SICK division this year. The Blues, Preds, Wings and Hawks are probably 4 of the top 10 or even 8 teams in the league. And the Blues especially are looking unstoppable.

This bad stretch wouldn't be so terrible a normal year, but now it hurts because the other teams in our division are almost never losing.

So you don't agree with the fact that this team even when there no injuries has looked very uninspired this season and parts of last as well? I do. Even with Dats and Lidstrom out of the line up this team should be able to at the very least compete night in and night out. A slump to me is even when your playing good you can't buy a win or have no puck luck. This team is not in a slump because when they try for 60 min they win.
I do agree with you 100% about this division as it is insane.

#55 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

The time for calling out was the trade deadline...it's too late to call out. He already demoted Clutch Franzen. Time for calling out if certain "stars" continue to play like this in the playoffs, is draft day when the ax should fall....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#56 RedWingsExpert1988

RedWingsExpert1988

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

I think I got the solution to the problems with the team. It needs 90's fedorov, 90's yzerman, and konstantinov acquired through time travel.

#57 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Obviously the most important injuries to this team are Dats and Lidstrom but to say they are the only injuries that matter is crazy. It's a domino affect. Franzen for instance has not only had to play with 1 new line mate but 2. Injuries change the line combos and the ice time that some of these guys are forced to play. White has looked terrible and should have a better ability to adjust to a new partner but it is difficult to go from playing with argurably the best d man ever to someone new. It is also so much harder to hide struggling guys in the lineup somewhere when you have injuries and they are forced to play. It's the dog days of the season, we are struggling but if you need a cheer up try channelling 07-08..it is a very similar feeling. Things turned out ok that year.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#58 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

I could careless if they scored or not; 99% of Franzens shots miss the net by a country mile. "Franzen shoots! Wide high off the glass"

Same with Hudler, for every good pass he makes he commits 3 turnovers.

IMO, this is not a SLUMP. They just aren't lucky enough to be winning like they had been. We have been playing lackluster with flashes of brilliance for 2 seasons now.

#59 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I strongly disagree with your assessment. They were the best team in the league pretty much until Pasha and Nick got hurt. Losing Pasha caused an already lazy Franzen to look about 10 times worse. We lost that entire line that provided much of our offence and offence zone time. Because of that Hank and Fil have become our top line and thus the other teams have been able to focus solely on them. Despite that, they have still been outstanding, but they simply have no support without Pasha.

Bert did not look very good last night but that was expected because his timing was off- - he even alluded to that before the game. Franzen is the one player, along with Cleary, that has been pissing me off all year... I really wish we would have kept Hossa. Nonethless, this team has been amongst the best in the league for the majority of the season when healthy. When we get pasha back, we will have much more offence and an ability to dominate the puck possession game and he will help our powerplay with gaining the zone, faceoffs, moving the puck and getting pucks to net. When we get Nick back it will provide much more stability to the point on the powerplay and an effortless but amazing defence game.

If you honestly think this team is bad then you do not know hockey. This is a successful team and when they get their 2 big boys back they will dominate the rest of the season. I have no doubt in my mind.

#60 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I could careless if they scored or not; 99% of Franzens shots miss the net by a country mile. "Franzen shoots! Wide high off the glass"

Same with Hudler, for every good pass he makes he commits 3 turnovers.

IMO, this is not a SLUMP. They just aren't lucky enough to be winning like they had been. We have been playing lackluster with flashes of brilliance for 2 seasons now.

Yea because 45-50 win seasons are clearly based on flashes of brilliance and luck..are you serious?

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!