Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cool Statistics website details chances...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Very cool website.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

My favourite, is statistically... our game tonight against the ducks affects our chances of wining the cup by .2% or a .4% swing. Statistics are cool, but if you don't understand... they aren't saying anything more than probability based on strength and mathematical history.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Very cool. That graph really shows how teams have gone throughout the season.
Hint: Mouse over your team's name in the left-hand column to see where they are on the graph.

#4 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Interestingly neat.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#5 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

I've always had this website favourited for near the end of the season. :thumbup: love watching how drastically it can change with one win by a team fighting for the 8th spot.

#6 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Lol, Columbus has had less than a 1% chance of making the playoffs since November...

Posted Image

#7 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

We have a better chance to win the Cup than Pittsburgh. Works for me. :D

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#8 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I like that the most likely way for us to make the central is if St Louis does .500 the rest of the way and we do .750 hockey... Yeah that isn't happening.

#9 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Website says there is a 83.3% chance the Wings will play Nashville... ugh....

#10 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Website says there is a 83.3% chance the Wings will play Nashville... ugh....

Ugh for sure. I fear this team the most out of anyone.

#11 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Only 50 million outcomes where the Wings win the division out of 1 billion possible permutations. 5% chance is statically impossible.

#12 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Tonight is an epic game for us for statistical revenge.

San Jose wins tonight (in regulation) they have a 74.7% chance at making the playoffs.

An overtime loss is 65.1

Wings in in 60 minutes, they have a 55.5% chance of making the playoffs. Seeing how much they wreck us in the playoffs... I want them to miss the dance. Let's go Wings. WIN TONIGHT!!!

#13 kiki22kiki

kiki22kiki

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

It's really interesting.
Enjoy playing hidden object games !!!

#14 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

It's really interesting.

I know... I have a feeling I will be looking at this a ton for the rest of my life.

#15 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Those odds of playing Dallas are improving... This is the best news in the world ... let's go sixth place!!!

#16 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm all for playing Dallas, but rooting for sixth seed could backfire if San Jose wins the Pacific!

#17 cvv8

cvv8

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

My roommate's a Ducks fan, so when they were on their run last month, he kept saying how they were going to make the playoffs. Whenever he got too excited, I'd just bring this site up, and tell him their current chance at making the playoffs, which maxed out at around 6% if I remember correctly.

#18 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Who thought that the Pacific would so uncompetitive with the other divisions? I didn't see that one coming. Almost everyone picked either SJ or LA to be first in the conference. Right now Dallas (leading the Pacific) is 17 points back of St. Louis (leading the Central) and 11 points back of Vancouver (leading the Northwest).

That's embarrassing. It's like the Southeast Division of the Western Conference.

Edit: And that's even after Vancouver is 3-5-2 in their last 10, while Dallas is 7-2-1.

Edited by Zetts, 20 March 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Who thought that the Pacific would so uncompetitive with the other divisions? I didn't see that one coming. Almost everyone picked either SJ or LA to be first in the conference. Right now Dallas (leading the Pacific) is 17 points back of St. Louis (leading the Central) and 11 points back of Vancouver (leading the Northwest).

That's embarrassing. It's like the Southeast Division of the Western Conference.

Last year, if Dallas didn't choke on the final day, all 5 teams would have made the playoffs from that division (first time in league history that would have happened).

This year, it's likely that 3 teams from that division make the playoffs. Yeah, there's no powerhouse team, but it's hardly a weak division. A weak division is where one team makes the playoffs and the other teams flat out suck.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Last year, if Dallas didn't choke on the final day, all 5 teams would have made the playoffs from that division (first time in league history that would have happened).

This year, it's likely that 3 teams from that division make the playoffs. Yeah, there's no powerhouse team, but it's hardly a weak division. A weak division is where one team makes the playoffs and the other teams flat out suck.

Last year there was also a team that was actually good in that division.

Alright, perhaps a better description is that it's the most uniformly mediocre division. I'd still be embarrased to be in that 3 slot and playing a 6th place team with more points. Obviously, I'm sure the team will take the home ice happily, but I doubt there can be a whole lot of pride in that.

Edited by Zetts, 20 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.