• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Cool Statistics website details chances...

Rate this topic

My favourite, is statistically... our game tonight against the ducks affects our chances of wining the cup by .2% or a .4% swing. Statistics are cool, but if you don't understand... they aren't saying anything more than probability based on strength and mathematical history.

Tonight is an epic game for us for statistical revenge.

San Jose wins tonight (in regulation) they have a 74.7% chance at making the playoffs.

An overtime loss is 65.1

Wings in in 60 minutes, they have a 55.5% chance of making the playoffs. Seeing how much they wreck us in the playoffs... I want them to miss the dance. Let's go Wings. WIN TONIGHT!!!

My roommate's a Ducks fan, so when they were on their run last month, he kept saying how they were going to make the playoffs. Whenever he got too excited, I'd just bring this site up, and tell him their current chance at making the playoffs, which maxed out at around 6% if I remember correctly.

Who thought that the Pacific would so uncompetitive with the other divisions? I didn't see that one coming. Almost everyone picked either SJ or LA to be first in the conference. Right now Dallas (leading the Pacific) is 17 points back of St. Louis (leading the Central) and 11 points back of Vancouver (leading the Northwest).

That's embarrassing. It's like the Southeast Division of the Western Conference.

Edit: And that's even after Vancouver is 3-5-2 in their last 10, while Dallas is 7-2-1.

Edited by Zetts

Who thought that the Pacific would so uncompetitive with the other divisions? I didn't see that one coming. Almost everyone picked either SJ or LA to be first in the conference. Right now Dallas (leading the Pacific) is 17 points back of St. Louis (leading the Central) and 11 points back of Vancouver (leading the Northwest).

That's embarrassing. It's like the Southeast Division of the Western Conference.

Last year, if Dallas didn't choke on the final day, all 5 teams would have made the playoffs from that division (first time in league history that would have happened).

This year, it's likely that 3 teams from that division make the playoffs. Yeah, there's no powerhouse team, but it's hardly a weak division. A weak division is where one team makes the playoffs and the other teams flat out suck.

Last year, if Dallas didn't choke on the final day, all 5 teams would have made the playoffs from that division (first time in league history that would have happened).

This year, it's likely that 3 teams from that division make the playoffs. Yeah, there's no powerhouse team, but it's hardly a weak division. A weak division is where one team makes the playoffs and the other teams flat out suck.

Last year there was also a team that was actually good in that division.

Alright, perhaps a better description is that it's the most uniformly mediocre division. I'd still be embarrased to be in that 3 slot and playing a 6th place team with more points. Obviously, I'm sure the team will take the home ice happily, but I doubt there can be a whole lot of pride in that.

Edited by Zetts

It doesn't much matter now, because we are going to keep free falling, and I think we will end up with 5th or 6th depending on a few things. If we get sixth and SJ wins the Pacific, we only have ourselves to blame as we played like crap on Saturday.

Interesting night tonight though with the games. Have a few epic games.

Random observation: this site still has us as having a much better chance than Nashville of finishing 4th (59% vs 33%).

Yeah, because of the weighted nature of our past... If you look at the 50/50 it shows a different picture.

The Dallas PHX game went perfectly for us... the three points and Dallas getting the edge really made it more likely San Jose would miss out. LA needs to win though now. 41.4% for SJ if they lose in regulation.

IF Colorado and Calgary go to OT it will make it even worse for them.

If San Jose loses tonight 3/22 it will have dropped them to a 26% chance of making the playoffs.

We also have a vested interest in Phoenix v Colorado. Phoenix could still be our first round match up, and Colorado needs this to stay over a 50/50 chance.

Of course, Nashville plays tonight. If you want the home seed them losing is necessary. I want 6th place for many reasons so I want them to win.