• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cajanek_Spielmacher

Realignment dropped for now

Rate this topic

The owners love it because they can raise ticket prices. Any game outside our Division, or League, whatever they want to call the 4 Divisions/Leagues, can be considered an elite game, and up go the prices.

I thought PA stands for PLAYER Association.

Why on earth PLAYER Association would care about ticket prices?!

I thought PA stands for PLAYER Association.

Why on earth PLAYER Association would care about ticket prices?!

I'm guessing they don't.

But they should (and probably do) care about getting their fare share of the millions of dollars people pay to see them play. No one walks around with Holland, Burke, or Bettman on the back of their jersey.

I'm guessing they don't.

But they should (and probably do) care about getting their fare share of the millions of dollars people pay to see them play. No one walks around with Holland, Burke, or Bettman on the back of their jersey.

No, but now I want a Holland jersey.

I believe it was the travel for the teams. I can't really remember what came out when they turned it down but Nik was one of the voters and he said he agreed with it.

The proposed alignment that was shot down earlier this season?

Travel was part of it but the other main thing was that the conferences became uneven, giving the east an advantage to make the playoffs. I forget exactly how much, but it was a significant advantage, like 7 or 8%

I'm guessing they don't.

- league is getting money from tv, ads, teams, etc,

- teams are getting there fair share of paid money through contracts with league, selling merchandise, etc.

- players are getting their fair share of paid money through contract they signed with team;

where on this picture is a void that PA should fill in? there isn't one.

are these multimillionaire professional player need a protection? from whom? from gms?! that's funny, as i said. do anybody think that datsyuk/lidstrom/etc/etc need PA 'protection' to get his fair share? I don't think so.

I'd blame PA solely if there is another lockout. not battman, not gms, but PA.

- league is getting money from tv, ads, teams, etc,

- teams are getting there fair share of paid money through contracts with league, selling merchandise, etc.

- players are getting their fair share of paid money through contract they signed with team;

where on this picture is a void that PA should fill in? there isn't one.

are these multimillionaire professional player need a protection? from whom? from gms?! that's funny, as i said. do anybody think that datsyuk/lidstrom/etc/etc need PA 'protection' to get his fair share? I don't think so.

I'd blame PA solely if there is another lockout. not battman, not gms, but PA.

The PA is the reason that is happening.

I mean this seriously and not as a smartass but if you're not familiar you should look into the history of the PA and how players were treated by the owners before its existence. Even if you still disagree, it's some really interesting stories and time in NHL history.

No, but now I want a Holland jersey.

:lol:

last time i checked, there were player's agents who negotiate fair share part.

I mean this seriously and not as a smartass but if you're not familiar you should look into the history of the PA and how players were treated by the owners before its existence. Even if you still disagree, it's some really interesting stories and time in NHL history.

Right. If one looks into the history of 'trade unions', one would find tons of interesting stories.

the question is, are these stories still applicable?

I am sure, they are not. and if there is 'a story', there are a lot of hungry lawyers who would jump to protect abused ones.

anyway, we are missing one important part of this whole deal.

who is paying all these money? I guess we are, fans.

do we have a say in any single debate? No. We vote by buying tickets, merchandise, watching tv, etc.

should we form a union to protect our interest? No. See above.

Should PA care about players there would no lockout, ever.

That is probably the reason right there.

Owners love it. It gives them something to shovel into the collective anus of the league during "negotiations" this summer.

Anything that they can come up with that will hold back progress will be used to get what they want, and the guys who actually sign the paychecks and give them their contracts will have to bend over or lose another season.

Welcome to "negotiations".

So then, you are saying Unions hold back progress to get what they want? :blink:

I wouldn't waste my time. Pretty sure this is the same chick that didn't understand the GWG....

Ya, if you get a chance to watch it, rent or buy the movie Net Worth. Very VERY good movie!

I wouldn't waste my time. Pretty sure this is the same chick that didn't understand the GWG....

And I guess you are that chick who doesn't give a damn about history of your own country, but proud to 'understand' hockey :).

However, I will waste a few moment of my time to enlighten you.

In 1934 there was a huge strike of textile workers in New England, Southern States organized by nobody but trade unions. Huge. Hundreds of thousands people was involved. Lasted several weeks.

They were demanding 30-hours work week, more then double increase in pay, etc.

The outcome: In Northern states, where most of demand were satisfied, employment in textile industry decreased by 300% in 20 years, while in Southern States, where trade unions lost, there was a boom and more than a quoter of a million jobs were created over the same period of time.

These are verifiable historical facts. And what you suggested me: watch some Hollywood production to learn history, huh?

Edited by ami

So then, you are saying Unions hold back progress to get what they want? :blink:

I'm not going to get into a discussion of unions in general. It would throw this thing totally off topic.

As related to hockey, specifically the realignment, yes, that's what I'm saying.

The proposed realignment really only hurt the Florida teams. Sure, Detroit didn't get to go East, but it was still a decent division. With all of the teams spread throughout the continent, it's impossible to come up with something that will please everyone.

If the PA had contacted the League and pointed out some flaws and asked to have a meeting, I'm sure they could have been ironed out in time for next season's schedule to be made.

Instead, we just get a "no" from the PA, and the league is stuck with Winnipeg in the Southeast again.

I honestly think that if the CBA wasn't expiring, that the PA would have just called and said, "Hey, Gary... about that Florida thing. The players aren't too happy about that. Can we talk?"

Instead, it gives them leverage for the next "talks". That's what the whole thing is about. The PA and the League stockpile "issues" such as the realignment and the next Olympics to use as bargaining chips, and in the meantime the Jets have an unfair travel schedule.

There was no helping it for this season, but it should have been ironed out by now. I can see why the PA gets input from the players, and I can see why the League would want input from the players, but at the end of the day, decisions need to be made, and it's the League's job to do it.

Those big "negotiations" stand in the way of real communication about small issues like this. That's the part the cheeses me. Just talk and settle it. Quit waiting around for the time when you can use it as a pawn. It feels like both sides are playing a game that is unrelated to hockey, and the fans are puck.