Photo
- - - - -

NBC taking cue from NCAA hoops tourney

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

From yesterday's NY Times...

Luring Stanley Cup Viewers With a Torrent of Games
By TANZINA VEGA
Published: March 14, 2012

TURNING the Stanley Cup playoffs into a must-watch television event lasting for weeks in the spring is no easy feat. Many Americans did not grow up with the game, few know who the players are and watching 10 weeks of playoffs is a big time commitment.

But the National Hockey League’s plan to get more viewers is, in fact, to show more games. This year, for the first time, the league will televise every game of the playoffs, which begin April 11 and could last up to 10 weeks, with the last possible day for the final game on June 15. The N.H.L. renewed its media partnership with NBC last year after the company was bought by Comcast, and can now offer programming across multiple platforms including NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network.

“We’ve spent the last five years talking about building national scale,” said John Collins, the chief operating officer of the N.H.L. “If you can’t get the games on national television, you’re not going to be able to relate to it.”

The league seems to be learning from the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s basketball strategy. In 2010, the N.C.A.A. reached a 14-year deal with CBS and Turner Broadcasting to show the games across multiple networks including CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV — effectively allowing first- and second-round games to be shown nationwide. Before the pact, early-round games were shown only in certain regions — Michigan State fans could watch their team on television but might not have been able to watch, say, Gonzaga or Georgetown.

Rest of the article:
http://www.nytimes.c...t-of-games.html

Edited by Jersey Wing, 15 March 2012 - 05:23 AM.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#2 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

I see this as nothing but a good thing for the NHL and NBC. Outside of Thursday does anybody watch NBC anyways? So it's not like they're alienating their show's fans, but just adding hockey fans.

If the NHL has the same marketing team as the past few years then they could probably hook a lot more viewers. The cup raise, and "what if..." commercials should pique the interest of many casual viewers.

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

I seriously doubt that a quarterfinal playoff game will be shown on the national NBC network on a week night.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#4 redwings1914

redwings1914

Wingin' It since '90

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

I seriously doubt that a quarterfinal playoff game will be shown on the national NBC network on a week night.

I concur, the NHL Network part to me is bulls***, NBC owns around 20 tv channels and almost every TV provider has those in HD, most however do not carry NHL Network in HD. In a ideal situation (getting the most TV viewers possible) the overflow games would be aired on USA Network and either Bravo or E....
It is not a sprint, yet a marathon.

#5 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Best news ever. ABOUT TIME!

I concur, the NHL Network part to me is bulls***, NBC owns around 20 tv channels and almost every TV provider has those in HD, most however do not carry NHL Network in HD. In a ideal situation (getting the most TV viewers possible) the overflow games would be aired on USA Network and either Bravo or E....

I hope this gets enough people bitching so they put the NHL network on more carriers. I don't have NHL network and it makes me sad.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#6 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

they could be pulling the only show games in progress stunts again though, keep that in mind
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image

"But, I thought NBC was all about me!"

#8 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

This is bad news for me...

I go to college out-of-state so I've been subscribing to NHL gamecenter to get the FSD games. The games nationally televised on Versus NBC Sports or NBC are blacked out though. In the regular season, I just find a stream online...but that's too risky/unreliable for the playoffs. I make sure I find a TV in my dorm somewhere.

Now, I'm assuming all the games will be blacked out on NHL gamecenter. So I won't be able to watch with Ken and Mick. :crybaby:

#9 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's still Versus for those of us who don't get it (or the NHL network). I'll have to check into the other one. If I'm not mistaken, that might be the one that carried the curling matches during the last Olympics. That was insane. I got no sleep.

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

“We’ve spent the last five years talking about building national scale,”

What?

#11 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Of the four options (NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network) I am able to access two - NBC and NBCSN/Versus. Some can't even get that. My cable company refuses to add NHL Network. As long as I can find a stream, I can at least know what's going on. Fingers crossed we reach the finals so I can actually see the games!

Jollymania is right, too. Even when they're showing games, if Pittsburgh, or pretty much any other team is on against the Wings, they're going to show the other game, if history is a teacher.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#12 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

For the League / NBC et al. to make this work, they had better look up the definition of "diversity" and see how it applies to their plan.

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

For the League / NBC et al. to make this work, they had better look up the definition of "diversity" and see how it applies to their plan.

No kidding. This decision doesn't change anything for me unless they play them on the national NBC network. It doesn't really make it more widely viewable. Not to a significant degree. They need to designate a weeknight and the weekends as hockey nights on NBC so they can get a national audience and introduce the game. They wouldn't get any worse ratings than what NBC is getting now.

Edited by VM1138, 16 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Here's a novel approach, untried by NBC: I've heard the schedule starts in October. Start airing games then.

#15 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

I see this as nothing but a good thing for the NHL and NBC. Outside of Thursday does anybody watch NBC anyways? So it's not like they're alienating their show's fans, but just adding hockey fans.

If the NHL has the same marketing team as the past few years then they could probably hook a lot more viewers. The cup raise, and "what if..." commercials should pique the interest of many casual viewers.

What's on Thursdays...Seriously?

Anywho I'm glad the NBC/NHL partnership is working well...At least NBC appears to give a damn unlike ESPN (although those ESPN NHL commercials from the early/mid 1990's were pretty darn funny).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#16 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

THURSDAY, MARCH 22ND
8:00PM
Community
CONTEMPORARY IMPRESSIONISTS All New
8:30PM
30 Rock 30 Rock
All New
9:00PM
The Office The Office
WELCOME PARTY All New
9:30PM
Up All Night Up All Night
DADDY DAUGHTER TIME All New
10:00PM
Awake Awake
KATE IS ENOUGH All New

Yeah, Thursday night is awesome.! And, "All New" means boffo ratings!

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

THURSDAY, MARCH 22ND
8:00PM
Community
CONTEMPORARY IMPRESSIONISTS All New
8:30PM
30 Rock 30 Rock
All New
9:00PM
The Office The Office
WELCOME PARTY All New
9:30PM
Up All Night Up All Night
DADDY DAUGHTER TIME All New
10:00PM
Awake Awake
KATE IS ENOUGH All New

Yeah, Thursday night is awesome.! And, "All New" means boffo ratings!

Then NBC should feel obligated to air some commercials pertaining tp upcoming games.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#18 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

I love Thursday nights on NBC. You could put hockey on every night of the week but thursdays.

Anyhoo... Please anyone with WOW, go request NHL Network.

I refuse to get Comcast because I hate their company and have had major issues with them in the past. NHL Network is great... and now it is a must have. So if you have it, do me a favor and just get on them about adding NHL Network.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#19 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Just wondering... Does any cable/satellite company that provides service in Michigan offer TSN and/or CBC? If so, problem solved.