• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Does Jonathan Toews have a concussion?

Rate this topic

Towes' return uncertain after setback

CHICAGO -- Just when it was starting to look like Jonathan Toews might be getting ready to return, the Chicago Blackhawks captain could be dealing with a setback in his recovery from an upper-body injury, which has been widely speculated to be a concussion.

Toews, who didn't practice Thursday and only briefly got on the ice Wednesday, had skated hard four days in a row after an extended absence from on-ice work. He then started this week by not skating for two straight days, including a morning skate Tuesday at United Center in preparation for a 4-3 shootout win later that night against the St. Louis Blues.

Last weekend, Toews was hopeful about playing against St. Louis, but heading into this weekend his return is again cloudy. He won't make the trip to play the Dallas Stars on Friday, which will run his games-missed total to 12.

"Whether it's a setback or a part of the process, that's what we're dealing with," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "It's a concern. You miss a guy like that and look forward to having him back at some point, but at the same time you look forward and take care of what we can control ... and that's our next game."

Does Quenneville feel like Toews will return before the end of the regular season, which only has 11 games left for the Hawks?

"Well, let's hope so," he said. "That'd be great. We were hoping he'd be back earlier than this, but part of it is you've just got to deal with it -- as an individual and us -- and be optimistic that he'll be around and go from there."

Chicago is 6-4-1 in the current 11-game run without Toews. They also lost the other game Toews missed this season.

"That points to the kind of character and makeup that we have," veteran defenseman Sean O'Donnell said. "Every team goes through this. You hope it's not your best guy, your most complete guy, but that's the way it is right now. We have to be ready with the 20 guys in here, whether Johnny's back next game or Johnny's back in the playoffs or who knows [when]. He's a great player, but we can still have success without him."

Still, they could certainly use Toews' multitude of skills in all facets of the game, which is why Quenneville isn't ready to give up on his return date.

"We're very hopeful that he's going to be on the ice here and going to be playing soon," Quenneville said. "It's part of the process we're talking about, as well."

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I don't like seeing any players go out with concussions especially guys who are the face of the NHl, Crosby etc... Toews is a fantastic player and one of the leagues best who brings a ton of skill and excitement to the game. I hope he returns and just doesn't do us in if we face the Hawks in the playoffs :P

He does have a concussion. This is a troubling time for Hawks fans as this is Toews 4th concussion of his career. On his draft combine physical he reported suffering 2 significant concussions in Jr. He was concussed by Willy Mitchell against Vancouver a few years ago - so he better take care of this one otherwise he could be in serious trouble the next time he gets smoked.

He does have a concussion. This is a troubling time for Hawks fans as this is Toews 4th concussion of his career. On his draft combine physical he reported suffering 2 significant concussions in Jr. He was concussed by Willy Mitchell against Vancouver a few years ago - so he better take care of this one otherwise he could be in serious trouble the next time he gets smoked.

That was one hell of an open ice hit from Mitchell, but as I recall, Toews didn't miss any time from that hit. Had he been concussed, he surely would have.

Am I right?

That was one hell of an open ice hit from Mitchell, but as I recall, Toews didn't miss any time from that hit. Had he been concussed, he surely would have.

Am I right?

I'm pretty sure he did. on TSN they have him listed as missing 6 games from a concussion. Wasn't that the hit?

And isn't this one from his accident?

At least that's what the timing seems to be. He gets in a single car accident and I don't think he's played since.

I'm pretty sure he did. on TSN they have him listed as missing 6 games from a concussion. Wasn't that the hit?

At least that's what the timing seems to be. He gets in a single car accident and I don't think he's played since.

I believe he was out before that. I also remember reading that someone asked him if he crashed as a result of his concussion, but I can't find the source at the moment, sorry (he said no, btw).

I think he was already out with some sort of injury, and the car accident came while he was out. Not 100% on that though.

I live in chicago so I get news on the Blackhawks much more than the red wings in general media outlets. The thing about the blackhawks is they are so damn secretive about their players injuries its ridiculous. For example you have the red wings with quite a few injuries and we all know what they are. We don't have any rumors going around its pretty cut and dry. Toews has supposedly had this concussion before his accident but the entirety of the injury has been Upper Body. And thats all they ever say. Eventually it all gets figured out by some leak, but tome its ridiculous how they shroud all their injuries in secrecy. But basically he most likely has a concussion, the team just won't ever tell you the exact injury.

So, just to be clear, he was out before the car accident?

Yes. He was already missing games prior to the accident.

The car accident has nothing to do with this current injury. He was going only a few miles an hour and hit a stationary metal column. Embarrassing, but wasn't injured, and says the accident did not aggravate anything.

I thought by now that Quennville and Toews have both confirmed its a concussion but won't say much else.

I live in chicago so I get news on the Blackhawks much more than the red wings in general media outlets. The thing about the blackhawks is they are so damn secretive about their players injuries its ridiculous. For example you have the red wings with quite a few injuries and we all know what they are. We don't have any rumors going around its pretty cut and dry. Toews has supposedly had this concussion before his accident but the entirety of the injury has been Upper Body. And thats all they ever say. Eventually it all gets figured out by some leak, but tome its ridiculous how they shroud all their injuries in secrecy. But basically he most likely has a concussion, the team just won't ever tell you the exact injury.

This is, to some degree, status quo about head injuries though. Many teams are shy to disclose them. It probably has to do with the idea that with each concussion, concussing becomes easier. The head becomes a target for opponents. This isn't really the case with injuries like Lidstrom's.

Edited by sean

Pretty much everyone who has had a concussion it is generally disclosed from what I can remember, especially with extended time out. The thing is as you see in the original post, they are still calling it an uper body injury. Bert and cleary both had them in the playoffs last year and it was nearly immediately they were said to have them.

It also has to do with HIPPA laws. Only the player himself can disclose the nature of his injury, or he has to approve the team doing so. They can get around that a little by just saying upper and lower body.