• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'm not articulating a conspiracy argument, but I'm cynical enough to know that when there's a great, marketable storyline chances are it'll come true. The Pens have been doing well enough without Crosby, and now that he's back he's just as good as he ever was. They've won 11 straight. Now, in a normal circumstance, teams cool off, but since it's the Pens and Crosby has to be one of the luckiest guys around (disappearing and then scoring huge game winning goals for example), does his hot return mean that the Pens should be penciled in as Cup favorites? The only other "storybook" team would be the Blues, but since they're not the Penguins I don't see their luck holding out.

I haven't followed the Pens that much this year, though, are they deep enough for a long run? They're up there in team scoring while they were missing Crosby the entire season, so that's quite an accomplishment.

Any other teams turning into Cup favorites yet?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Unfortunately for us Wings fans, yes they should definitely be considered the favorites. It's hard to argue what they've accomplished.

#3 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

At this point. Yes. I don't see anyone beating them tbh. :thumbdown:

#4 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

If Gary has his way the Pens will be pencilled in for sure. After all, Crosby is his favourite player... I don't think in any way that the Pens are the best team in the NHL. I would still put a HEALTHY Wings team ahead of them as well as a Bruins team that doesn't take a month off. The Pens won 11 in a row and are still in 4th in the East and not topping their division. They've been really good in that stretch, but don't forget they were 7th or 8th before their run started. Playoffs are fun for parody...

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#5 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

If Crosby and Letang make it through the rest of the regular season and are healthy going into the playoffs, they are likely the favourites, but most people around here should no better than to suggest they are a lock....see 1995-96 Wings. I remember back then when I was thinking they were going to win the Cup having only to play 16 games in the playoffs.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

I picked Vancouver to beat Pittsburgh in the Finals before the season and I'm sticking with that.

But I can see that Final going either way.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

But what about the Rangers, they spent $12 mill on the biggest free agent this summer, Brad Richards? :P

Only real thing locked down is Columbus will win the Toilet Trophy, it'd be hard for them to lose that. Followed closely by Edmonton again ... speaking of which, how many terrible years do you need to turn a team around .... damn, it looks like they've been having the top pick like 3 years in a row.

#8 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Going to be real hard to stop Pittsburgh.. I hope someone can do it though.

They have great Depth IMO. They've slotted Crosby into the 3rd line with Cooke and Kennedy so as not to disrupt the chemistry the had going already. Cooke has 4 goals and Kennedy has 4 assists in those 2 games. Neal-Malkin-Kunitz and Sullivan-Staal-Dupuis gives them 3 lines that match up against any other teams 3 lines quite well. A d-corps of Letang, Michalek, Martin, Niskanen, Orpik is very solid as well, and of course Fluery is hot.

If they stay 4th/5th I hope Philadelphia can stop them in round 1 if Bryz stays hot and they get production from all their lines, they're quite talented as well. But it seems they will catch the Rangers for first and take home ice throughout the East playoffs, and then watch out.

#9 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Theyve had a great regular season. As we all know that means jack s*** in a month.

#10 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

NY defeneteley has the ability to beat them in the east. In the west, Blues, Vancouver, Wings can do it as well.

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

They did lose to Philly today.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#12 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

They did lose to Philly today.

Crosby had the goalie beat and an open net and missed in OT then the Flyers went down and scored the GWG shortly thereafter.

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

No.

But right now they certainly look like a serious contender for the Cup.

#14 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Crosby had the goalie beat and an open net and missed in OT then the Flyers went down and scored the GWG shortly thereafter.

I refuse to believe that. The net must have gotten scared and moved.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Their goaltending, as it always has been, is still a concern.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Back in December I was saying Wings vs. Pens Part III
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Right now, I don't see a clear cut favourite.

The Penguins won 10 in a row and they still didn't manage to overtake a slumping Rangers team. Malkin seems to step up his game when Crosby is hurt, time will tell how he'll handle Crosby's return.

Detroit's in a funk right now, Canucks are right there with them as are Boston. As impressive as the Blues have been so far, will they be able to keep rolling in the postseason? Maybe their goaltending has been too hot for too long.

#18 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Of course they don't have the cup locked up. They are a favorite for sure, but anything can happen.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#19 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

In all honestly they are playing like a SCF team right now. I'm no Crosby fan but he is playing out of his mind right now.

I would love to see a Pens Wings rematch. I'm still fuming about the last one.

#20 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think the blues are still the clear favorites at this point.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter