• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

VM1138

Do the Pens Have the Cup Locked Up?

Rate this topic

I'm not articulating a conspiracy argument, but I'm cynical enough to know that when there's a great, marketable storyline chances are it'll come true. The Pens have been doing well enough without Crosby, and now that he's back he's just as good as he ever was. They've won 11 straight. Now, in a normal circumstance, teams cool off, but since it's the Pens and Crosby has to be one of the luckiest guys around (disappearing and then scoring huge game winning goals for example), does his hot return mean that the Pens should be penciled in as Cup favorites? The only other "storybook" team would be the Blues, but since they're not the Penguins I don't see their luck holding out.

I haven't followed the Pens that much this year, though, are they deep enough for a long run? They're up there in team scoring while they were missing Crosby the entire season, so that's quite an accomplishment.

Any other teams turning into Cup favorites yet?

If Gary has his way the Pens will be pencilled in for sure. After all, Crosby is his favourite player... I don't think in any way that the Pens are the best team in the NHL. I would still put a HEALTHY Wings team ahead of them as well as a Bruins team that doesn't take a month off. The Pens won 11 in a row and are still in 4th in the East and not topping their division. They've been really good in that stretch, but don't forget they were 7th or 8th before their run started. Playoffs are fun for parody...

If Crosby and Letang make it through the rest of the regular season and are healthy going into the playoffs, they are likely the favourites, but most people around here should no better than to suggest they are a lock....see 1995-96 Wings. I remember back then when I was thinking they were going to win the Cup having only to play 16 games in the playoffs.

But what about the Rangers, they spent $12 mill on the biggest free agent this summer, Brad Richards? :P

Only real thing locked down is Columbus will win the Toilet Trophy, it'd be hard for them to lose that. Followed closely by Edmonton again ... speaking of which, how many terrible years do you need to turn a team around .... damn, it looks like they've been having the top pick like 3 years in a row.

Going to be real hard to stop Pittsburgh.. I hope someone can do it though.

They have great Depth IMO. They've slotted Crosby into the 3rd line with Cooke and Kennedy so as not to disrupt the chemistry the had going already. Cooke has 4 goals and Kennedy has 4 assists in those 2 games. Neal-Malkin-Kunitz and Sullivan-Staal-Dupuis gives them 3 lines that match up against any other teams 3 lines quite well. A d-corps of Letang, Michalek, Martin, Niskanen, Orpik is very solid as well, and of course Fluery is hot.

If they stay 4th/5th I hope Philadelphia can stop them in round 1 if Bryz stays hot and they get production from all their lines, they're quite talented as well. But it seems they will catch the Rangers for first and take home ice throughout the East playoffs, and then watch out.

Right now, I don't see a clear cut favourite.

The Penguins won 10 in a row and they still didn't manage to overtake a slumping Rangers team. Malkin seems to step up his game when Crosby is hurt, time will tell how he'll handle Crosby's return.

Detroit's in a funk right now, Canucks are right there with them as are Boston. As impressive as the Blues have been so far, will they be able to keep rolling in the postseason? Maybe their goaltending has been too hot for too long.

Crosby had the goalie beat and an open net and missed in OT then the Flyers went down and scored the GWG shortly thereafter.

It is situations culminated together like this that can win or lose a serious for you, regardless of talent.

Look at the 1996 Wings. The 2009 Sharks. The 2009 Wings for f***s sake. Anything goes in the playoffs and anyone has a chance to beat anyone. I don't care how good the Penguins are right now. They will never be the lock to win the cup until they win the deciding game in the Cup Finals.

Guest irishock

No hockey team is "a lock" to win the title. This isn't the NBA where talent alone wins championships.

It'll be either them, Boston or NY coming out of the East and us, Van, STL out of the West.

It is situations culminated together like this that can win or lose a serious for you, regardless of talent.

Look at the 1996 Wings. The 2009 Sharks. The 2009 Wings for f***s sake. Anything goes in the playoffs and anyone has a chance to beat anyone. I don't care how good the Penguins are right now. They will never be the lock to win the cup until they win the deciding game in the Cup Finals.

well said. the Pens can run into a cyborg goalie with massive shoulder pads and no five hole in the first round and get swept even though they may be a "superior team"... Personally, I hope they play the Flyers and get swept in the 1st round. I'd also love to see the Canucks, Coyotes and Sharks depart in the 1st round as well and then i'm pretty much good with who wins the cup.

In all honestly they are playing like a SCF team right now. I'm no Crosby fan but he is playing out of his mind right now.

I would love to see a Pens Wings rematch. I'm still fuming about the last one.

Yeah, that 3 shots and -1 courtesy of the GWG was insane yesterday.

dancing_troll.gif