• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/19 GDT : Capitals 5 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Just glanced through who the Wings have signed through next year. There isn't a forward spot open and one defensemen spot open. Someone has got to be traded, because the lines are essentially the same and clearly relying on so many role players isn't working consistently.

I don't know if Nyquist will stay another year in the AHL, but I'm assuming he stays up, as well as Smith. As of right now we have something like this:

Franzen-Datsyuk- Bertuzzi

Filppula-Zetterberg-Cleary

Eaves-Helm-Nyquist

Miller-Emmerton-Abdelkader

???-White

Kronwall-Quincey

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Any turnover is going to have to be forced. Of those remaining Emmerton needs to go, we need more depth at center. Honestly, though I'm not too bummed by the bottom two forward lines. It's just that the top two lines have been too inconsistent and need to be changed.

Even thought Nyquist is ready, I hope we push to sign Parise. He'd be the perfect fit in the top 6. And replace Emmerton with Prust on the 4th line. Also, Lids comes back.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen

Parise-Zetterberg-Filppula

Miller-Helm-Cleary

Prust-Abdelkader-Eaves

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Smith

Quincey-Ericsson

Kindl

That's getting way ahead of ourselves, but that would be great IMO :ph34r:

Guest irishock

^ gotta get either one of the 2nd line forwards on Datsyuk's line. Doesn't it seem boring for Dats to play with Floater and Bert for 2nd straight season?

Emmerton's been here all season. He was a often healthy scratch earlier in the season, but has taken on a regular role with all the injuries.

I think a big part of the Wings' problem is complacency. The team rarely seems to play with any sense of urgency, and when they do, it's too little, too late. Underperforming players are almost never scratched or benched unless they're fourth liners or sixth defensemen. Franzen being demoted to the third line was, honestly, surprising. When's the last time a regular player was traded away or not re-signed in free agency? (Hossa was a cap issue, and I don't count Kopecky, he missed almost every playoff game.) They know they'll be back next year, whether they meet expectations or not. There is no fear of losing their jobs.

I heard an interesting quote on the radio around the trade deadline... basically it said the Wings overvalue their players and prospects, and undervalue players and prospects from other teams. Kind of goes along with Wisniewski's quote from last summer that the Wings "don't pay market value". Also explains why Holland didn't really improve the team last summer (despite the fact that he said the team "has to get better") or at the deadline this year. Money is no excuse, he had PLENTY of room under the salary cap.

If there's an early exit from the playoffs this year, there NEEDS to be change. Whether it's trading away a few regular players, firing Babcock (maybe the players are tuning him out?), or even Holland, something would need to be done. But the loyalty begins at the very top, so as long as Mr. Ilitch is still in charge, I don't see much change on the horizon.

Emmerton's been here all season. He was a often healthy scratch earlier in the season, but has taken on a regular role with all the injuries.

I think a big part of the Wings' problem is complacency. The team rarely seems to play with any sense of urgency, and when they do, it's too little, too late. Underperforming players are almost never scratched or benched unless they're fourth liners or sixth defensemen. Franzen being demoted to the third line was, honestly, surprising. When's the last time a regular player was traded away or not re-signed in free agency? (Hossa was a cap issue, and I don't count Kopecky, he missed almost every playoff game.) They know they'll be back next year, whether they meet expectations or not. There is no fear of losing their jobs.

I heard an interesting quote on the radio around the trade deadline... basically it said the Wings overvalue their players and prospects, and undervalue players and prospects from other teams. Kind of goes along with Wisniewski's quote from last summer that the Wings "don't pay market value". Also explains why Holland didn't really improve the team last summer (despite the fact that he said the team "has to get better") or at the deadline this year. Money is no excuse, he had PLENTY of room under the salary cap.

If there's an early exit from the playoffs this year, there NEEDS to be change. Whether it's trading away a few regular players, firing Babcock (maybe the players are tuning him out?), or even Holland, something would need to be done. But the loyalty begins at the very top, so as long as Mr. Ilitch is still in charge, I don't see much change on the horizon.

^^^^THIS times one hundred!

This team is ******* worthless. I am not watching them again until the playoffs and that is just to laugh at how they are going to be embarrassed by just about anyone they play.

Good riddance, please stay away from here, too. Thanks.

This team is ******* worthless. I am not watching them again until the playoffs and that is just to laugh at how they are going to be embarrassed by just about anyone they play.

I think you're the definition of a bandwagon fan, please stop posting here.

It is after games like this that I am ashamed to be a fellow Wings fan with some of you people! It is amazing how quick you turn on the very team that you claim to love and be a fan of. To the postter above, I bet when Nick comes back and the Wings get going headed into the playoffs you will be posting on here about what a great game the wings played, or the Wings looking great headed into the playoffs as a serious threat. I am going to keep my eye on your posts and if I see something like that I am going to remind you about the lame posts that you posted tonight.

For those of us Wings fans who remain LOYAL and have faith in our team, we will be saying we told you so when they start playing Red Wings hockey going down the stretch.

OMG shut up with the holland remarks... u honestly sound RETARDED!!! The funny thing is back at the beginning of the year when the Wings were going through a similar funk, everyone was saying the exact same things because it seemed like the end of the world. Now we are in another small funk (This time largely cuz of injuries) and you are all at it again. When the team gets going again and starts racking up W's, the same people saying retarded things about Holland and Babcock and whoever else will be PRAISING them... honestly if your a fan of the team than support it all the time, not just when its playing well!

Thank you. Instead of giving up on this team, I gave up on the thread. This is my first time on in over a week and I'm not planning on comin back until the wings start winning and these "fans" shut the hell up

They haven't been healthy since the deadline. Their healthy roster looks DEADLY on paper. If you factor in franzen always stepping it up in the playoffs and helm (if the wings make it far enough for him to play) always providing energy, they should have nothing to worry about and make it out of the second round this year

Go wings!

They haven't been healthy since the deadline. Their healthy roster looks DEADLY on paper. If you factor in franzen always stepping it up in the playoffs and helm (if the wings make it far enough for him to play) always providing energy, they should have nothing to worry about and make it out of the second round this year

Go wings!

I actually completely disagree. Of the top 6 we have, I feel like only 4 are genuine top 6 forwards (counting Franzen when he's actually playing). Bert and Hudler have no place in the top 6 and are hurting those lines sometimes much more than helping them. Take tonight, Hudler received many fantastic passes from either Fil or Z, then IMMEDIATELY turned over the puck. Bert took a stupid penalty, like he always does, and outside of a few good plays, just doesn't have the speed and puck handling skills of a top 6. Now, I haven't given up on the team, but I am realistic and I just don't see how this team could make it very far in the playoffs. I'd rather admit that to myself now than be disappointed when we exit the playoffs (potentially to the sharks again...)

After watching the past handful of games, it's really apparent that the injuries we have right now are drastically affecting the way this team was/is put together to play.

What I mean is this team is built from the backend out and we need mobile, puck moving defensemen who understand the system and are able to move the puck to the right spots. Currently all 3 of Quincey, Smith and Janik look lost at times out there. Smith has his moments and the future looks bright for him, but he doesn't always make the correct play (rookie learning curve).

A lot of people here bash on Ericsson and Kindl, but we really miss them a lot with Nick. For me, Quincey has kind of been a disappointment up to now.

I know everyone is looking at the forward lines as the solution, but we really need our defense healthy. That's what drives this team and how it is designed to play. I think we could have added a forward at the deadline and still be in the same situation.

We are playing withour THREE legit defenseman. I don't really understand how people can undervalue Kindle and, especially, Ericsson so much. They are both good and would have a roster spot on any NHL team. Instead, we now play rookie and career AHL-er regularly. This is huge blow, I'm not surprised we lost 5 in a row. We'll be fine once Lids, Ericsson and Kindle are back. Smith is our depth guy.

PS An I the only one who thinks Quincey is a kind of dissapointment?

PS An I the only one who thinks Quincey is a kind of dissapointment?

So far he hasn't been very good. I like his shot though, and I won't pass judgement on him until our defense is healthy. Right now his role is bigger than it will be when Lids and Big E are back.