• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#421 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well I don't really want to get carried away and suggest we remove half the team or anything, but I think a healthy Cleary and Adbelkader replacing Emmerton and Holmer on the fourth is a huge improvment, and Eaves or Nyquist on the other wing with Helm and Miller is an improvement. That's only replacing two, which is more manageable. I get as frustrated with inconsistent play as most people do, and would love to see the wings making a big splash in free agency, but being the minimalist I am, I'm just trying to think of way to improve the team with essentially our current roster.

I agree with both statements. But I really don't see what either of those guys can do that Nyquist and Abdelkader couldn't do better, in the exact same positions. Basically I'd like to see this

Bert-Dats-Franzen
Flip-Z-Nyquist
Miller-Helm-Eaves
*Cleary-Abby-Mursak

Connor

*Depending on how the knee feels Cleary and Eaves are interchangeable. I for one think the knee will be fine, and next year Cleary bounces back 100%
I think that's a huge improvement over the current team, and you don't have to go crazy in free agency to do it. Spend the money on Nick's replacement.

3 mill for a 4th liner is so s***ty.....I will say I have hated Cleary for 2 years now, so I'm not without bias, but man do I hate him, he is my new Jason Williams
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#422 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I am confident the Sharks will pass the Stars, which means we would play them if we finished in 6th place. We all know what happens when we play the Sharks in the playoffs.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that possibility.

:o
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#423 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

If the Wings play the Sharks it'll be a race to see who can get swept first.
  • Nev likes this
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#424 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

This team isf****** worthless. I am not watching them again until the playoffs and that is just to laugh at how they are going to be embarrassed by just about anyone they play.

#425 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

The only positive I can think is that last time we played thisf****** terrible for such a long period of team we started tearing s*** up afterwords. So hopefully they are getting the losing out of the way early so the winning can come when it's actually important.

#426 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Just glanced through who the Wings have signed through next year. There isn't a forward spot open and one defensemen spot open. Someone has got to be traded, because the lines are essentially the same and clearly relying on so many role players isn't working consistently.

I don't know if Nyquist will stay another year in the AHL, but I'm assuming he stays up, as well as Smith. As of right now we have something like this:

Franzen-Datsyuk- Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Cleary
Eaves-Helm-Nyquist
Miller-Emmerton-Abdelkader

???-White
Kronwall-Quincey
Ericsson-Smith
Kindl

Any turnover is going to have to be forced. Of those remaining Emmerton needs to go, we need more depth at center. Honestly, though I'm not too bummed by the bottom two forward lines. It's just that the top two lines have been too inconsistent and need to be changed.

Even thought Nyquist is ready, I hope we push to sign Parise. He'd be the perfect fit in the top 6. And replace Emmerton with Prust on the 4th line. Also, Lids comes back.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen
Parise-Zetterberg-Filppula
Miller-Helm-Cleary
Prust-Abdelkader-Eaves

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-Ericsson
Kindl

That's getting way ahead of ourselves, but that would be great IMO :ph34r:

#NOMOREKINDL

#427 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

^ gotta get either one of the 2nd line forwards on Datsyuk's line. Doesn't it seem boring for Dats to play with Floater and Bert for 2nd straight season?

bringit.jpg

#428 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Emmerton's been here all season. He was a often healthy scratch earlier in the season, but has taken on a regular role with all the injuries.

I think a big part of the Wings' problem is complacency. The team rarely seems to play with any sense of urgency, and when they do, it's too little, too late. Underperforming players are almost never scratched or benched unless they're fourth liners or sixth defensemen. Franzen being demoted to the third line was, honestly, surprising. When's the last time a regular player was traded away or not re-signed in free agency? (Hossa was a cap issue, and I don't count Kopecky, he missed almost every playoff game.) They know they'll be back next year, whether they meet expectations or not. There is no fear of losing their jobs.
I heard an interesting quote on the radio around the trade deadline... basically it said the Wings overvalue their players and prospects, and undervalue players and prospects from other teams. Kind of goes along with Wisniewski's quote from last summer that the Wings "don't pay market value". Also explains why Holland didn't really improve the team last summer (despite the fact that he said the team "has to get better") or at the deadline this year. Money is no excuse, he had PLENTY of room under the salary cap.
If there's an early exit from the playoffs this year, there NEEDS to be change. Whether it's trading away a few regular players, firing Babcock (maybe the players are tuning him out?), or even Holland, something would need to be done. But the loyalty begins at the very top, so as long as Mr. Ilitch is still in charge, I don't see much change on the horizon.

#429 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

already there

I meant 4th...was typing while being distracted
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#430 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Emmerton's been here all season. He was a often healthy scratch earlier in the season, but has taken on a regular role with all the injuries.

I think a big part of the Wings' problem is complacency. The team rarely seems to play with any sense of urgency, and when they do, it's too little, too late. Underperforming players are almost never scratched or benched unless they're fourth liners or sixth defensemen. Franzen being demoted to the third line was, honestly, surprising. When's the last time a regular player was traded away or not re-signed in free agency? (Hossa was a cap issue, and I don't count Kopecky, he missed almost every playoff game.) They know they'll be back next year, whether they meet expectations or not. There is no fear of losing their jobs.
I heard an interesting quote on the radio around the trade deadline... basically it said the Wings overvalue their players and prospects, and undervalue players and prospects from other teams. Kind of goes along with Wisniewski's quote from last summer that the Wings "don't pay market value". Also explains why Holland didn't really improve the team last summer (despite the fact that he said the team "has to get better") or at the deadline this year. Money is no excuse, he had PLENTY of room under the salary cap.
If there's an early exit from the playoffs this year, there NEEDS to be change. Whether it's trading away a few regular players, firing Babcock (maybe the players are tuning him out?), or even Holland, something would need to be done. But the loyalty begins at the very top, so as long as Mr. Ilitch is still in charge, I don't see much change on the horizon.

^^^^THIS times one hundred!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#431 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Well, on a good note, my sister attended the game and had her photo taken with Gordie Howe. She said he was barely audible and that it's pretty obvious that the end is looming for him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#432 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

^^^^THIS times one hundred!

yep

#433 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hopefully Pat Lafontaine or Steve Yzerman falls to us in the draft.

Wait ... it's 1983, right?

I wish... I sometimes fear the mullet will never come back!
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#434 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

This team isf****** worthless. I am not watching them again until the playoffs and that is just to laugh at how they are going to be embarrassed by just about anyone they play.

Good riddance, please stay away from here, too. Thanks.

#435 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

I think you're the definition of a bandwagon fan, please stop posting here.

#436 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

It is after games like this that I am ashamed to be a fellow Wings fan with some of you people! It is amazing how quick you turn on the very team that you claim to love and be a fan of. To the postter above, I bet when Nick comes back and the Wings get going headed into the playoffs you will be posting on here about what a great game the wings played, or the Wings looking great headed into the playoffs as a serious threat. I am going to keep my eye on your posts and if I see something like that I am going to remind you about the lame posts that you posted tonight.

For those of us Wings fans who remain LOYAL and have faith in our team, we will be saying we told you so when they start playing Red Wings hockey going down the stretch.

#437 mance

mance

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Good riddance, please stay away from here, too. Thanks.

I just registered, but I can already tell I'm going to fit in just fine. :)

#438 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

OMG shut up with the holland remarks... u honestly sound RETARDED!!! The funny thing is back at the beginning of the year when the Wings were going through a similar funk, everyone was saying the exact same things because it seemed like the end of the world. Now we are in another small funk (This time largely cuz of injuries) and you are all at it again. When the team gets going again and starts racking up W's, the same people saying retarded things about Holland and Babcock and whoever else will be PRAISING them... honestly if your a fan of the team than support it all the time, not just when its playing well!

Thank you. Instead of giving up on this team, I gave up on the thread. This is my first time on in over a week and I'm not planning on comin back until the wings start winning and these "fans" shut the hell up

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#439 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Well, on a good note....

Oh, man, i know you didn't mean it, but it doesn't sound right... good note and looming end...

#440 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

They haven't been healthy since the deadline. Their healthy roster looks DEADLY on paper. If you factor in franzen always stepping it up in the playoffs and helm (if the wings make it far enough for him to play) always providing energy, they should have nothing to worry about and make it out of the second round this year
Go wings!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy