• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

homer is done guys. lets be honest. he doesn't have the effect he used to. his reputation gets him in trouble and his ailing body can't handle the pace of the game.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Just can't agree. Homer gives to this team what he is asked. Terrible skater? Not in his role. Clutch and grab? Not in his role (anymore). Penalties (In everyone's role, but way down this year as to previous seasons - 60, 62, 32 so far this year). Provides the distraction in front of the net that Detroit needs. Like it or not, he's not a sniper, grinder, hitter, fighter, etc... he's a wall meant to be in front of the goalie and tip shots. That is Tomas Holmstom's role.

This is it. His whole career has been based on it. When he plays with guys like Dats and Z he's that sort of guy. When he plays with bottom line guys, he's useless. It's very much a case of both situations. Play him with Z and D, or don't play him at all.

Also, play Dats with Z or Flip, but not both I don't think. Too similar. Dats, Flip, Bert would be good.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Definitely worth a shot, very little is working right now.

As for the Holmstrom disliking, it's a bit much. He's my favorite player so my answer will obviously be pro-biased, but I just simply want to see something, anything shake this team up for the better.

If it's Homer-Datsyuk-Zetterberg, great. If it's somebody else with those two, great. If it's those three all on separate lines, great.

The trio has been successful in the past. I get that Holmstrom is probably all but retiring after this season or next, but again just about anything is worth a shot right now.

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Homer is the most useless player in the NHL. If you're going to reunite Dats and Z, put Nyquist on the line. Don't anchor it down with a guy that can't keep up and that can't even deflect the puck in front of the net anymore. Homer needs to hang em up and i hope he spends all of the playoffs in the press box. if not Nyquist, then put bert or Abdelkader on the line.

One last time so it sinks in, Homer sucks.

the Wings can have a press box line of Homer, Cleary and Franzenfloat

This is what I think of this post :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

All of this Homer hate in here is just pathetic. You are all sad people.

I couldn't agree more. :clap:

#25 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

I think its a good idea maybe its just me but Homer has something left in the tank IMO.

#26 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Homer will always be the best front of the net player, even thou his skating has gone done hill he is far from worthless...i love the Z-D-H line because not only does homer screen the goalie like crazy but he and one defensemen are forced to the front of the net....this leaves alllllll kindsssss of space on the ice for Z and D to make magic...the more space these 2 have the more they can control the puck, make deadly passes, and undress defenders. Almost makes a 4 on 4 type situation which Z and D are lethal at....then top it all off with Lids swoopin in for a goal or a deflection off Homer! Fact is Homer and Lids have awesome chemistry and Z and D have awesome chemistry.

Alas thou! we cannot afford to have Z and D on the same line at the current moment. Sorry boys but I don't think Babs will go for this right now. Maybe in the playoffs.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

This is what I think of this post :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I couldn't agree more. :clap:

good job elaborating on why there hockeymom... way to add to the conversation with a reasonable explanation as to why you think my post about one of the worst players in the NHL is :thumbdown:

Bottom line, you shouldn't have a guy playing on the top 2 lines just because he doesn't bring anything to the table on the bottom 6. It would be much more effective to keep Nyquist up and maybe bring Tatar and toss Andersson on the 4th line to add the grit that everyone wanted from a guy like Sami Pahlsson. Homer's "good" days are behind him and as said by many, the Wings loyalty to some players that are way over the hill is costing the team in the long run. keep them for their career, but know when their career is at an end.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Would also say about people thinking he should hang it up, it'll have more of an impact than one would think about whether Lids decides to call it a day. I'd take Homer's reduced minutes and ability to tip the odd puck if it meant Lids agreed to one more year. I think when one of them goes, the other will be close behind.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#29 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

How many other teams use a screener on their top 2 lines? I can't recall very many. Most people rely on skill to score goals, not blinding the goalie. It's always seemed cheap to me. Like others have said also, his reputation seems to have gotten ahead of himself, now he gets good goals called back, and takes penalties pretty much every game. Homer has had an amazing career, but at this point he'd only hurt the top 2 lines. Those defending him need to look at our PP. Homer is on the ice with Dats and Z on pretty much every PP and look how that's gone...

Edited by Lonewuhf, 21 March 2012 - 11:10 PM.