• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

I made a blurb about this in the chat box, but I figured it would be something entertaining to open for debate. Is the world going to end at the end of this year? I don't believe it will because i'm pretty sure the date has already passed. Here's why.

When the Mayans developed the calendar, it was built around a 365 day solar cycle. So as years went by the calendar year was 365 days. How is this significant? Thanks to Julius Caesar, the Leap Year was later introduced changing our calendar year to 365.25 days, or 366 days every 4 years.

If you take into consideration that Leap Year now exists, and it was not accounted for when the initial calendar was created, there's a lot of extra days that throws off the original Mayan Calendar. If you take an extra day and add it in every 4 years since Leap Year came about, technically speaking we are already in the year 2013 according to the Mayans. If Leap Year did not exist, December 21, 2012 would have already passed and guess what, we are all still alive.

The importance of this is that if we never changed the calendar, according to the Mayans and their original calendar, right now we would be somewhere in June of 2013 not March of 2012. Even though today's date is March 2012, had that small change had not been made, the "Doomsday" would have passed by now and we are all still sitting here breathing.

Just a different aspect that I haven't really heard many people talk about, but if you do the math, it's pretty accurate and intriguing.

How does everyone else feel about this? Is the world going to end in December? Did what I just posted above change your mind? Do you have theories yourself?

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

The Mayans really didn't care about "December 21, 2112."

They were going by the solstice. That is the same no matter how many leap days we throw in. It's just the day shortest day in the northern hemisphere.

#3 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Is this how you spend your evenings? :P And you need to be put on probation!

I'm not really giving this too much thought or concern. The owner of my company is however preparing. He has a bunker full of supplies to protect him and his wife, dehydrated food to feed them for 4 years. Apparently there is some show on National Geographics about people like this...he's one of them. All of the stuff he's ordered gets shipped here to work so it's kind of amusing to see boxes stacked up until he shows up for them.

I personally think that's going to the extreme, but if you believe it then go for it.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#4 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

No, I don't think the world is ending then or anytime soon. And if it did, I'd be long gone then and thankfully far away from any nimrod that is going to say "I told you so", so oh well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 20 March 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm OK with it either way.

I know when I die, the world won't end. It'll continue on without me. Kind of like a bus ride, where you get off your stop and the bus continues without you. That's the part that bothers me the most.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Additional dates from the leap year aside, the world won't end anyway. The only thing that worries me about that date is all the lunatics in this world that might do something terrible and end up causing bodily harm.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#7 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Additional dates from the leap year aside, the world won't end anyway. The only thing that worries me about that date is all the lunatics in this world that might do something terrible and end up causing bodily harm.

there lies the real threat....no matter what happens....idiots will freak out and cause prices to skyrocket for fuel/water/bread...etc.

for example..the tv show "magic city" was building its set, they bought every sheet of plywood across 4 states. florida/georgia etc.

here in new mexico the shortage caused a $2 per sheet increase.

supply-demand

this will be trouble for us all.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

With the current state of the economy here in the US, and the economy in many other places, such as Greece and Spain, I think a worldwide economic meltdown of some sort isn't too unrealistic. With economic globalization, countries that suffer economic meltdowns often bring other nations down with them, because many of the worlds economies are so intertwined now. End of the world? Not likely. Economic meltdowns with food shortages, water shortages, and widespread protests and rioting? I think so. Either way, I don't think its a horrible idea to prepare.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Y2K: the sequel.

Nutters buy up all the guns, ammo and supplies. Conspiracy profiteers like Alex Jones do the same thing they did for Y2K and try to work the masses into massive riots and panic everyone claiming over and over that its the end of the world as we know it. Nothing happens. We all go about our lives on December 22.

#10 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have never understood the people who "stock up for the end of the world". If the world will actually end, you might as well stock up on cheesecake and chocolate for December 20th. If the world will end, screw the diet.

#11 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

I store a little bit of extra food in the event of a natural disaster, but I don't see the point in preparing for the end of the world. If it ever actually happens, it won't matter how prepared everyone is, we're all gonna die.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#12 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

That about sums it up, look at how many people followed this religious nut that said the world was going to end last year. The man received MILLIONS of dollars in donations for the exodus he claimed was coming and it never did. There were billboards all around the nation, so many people believed it, and some went as far as selling their cars and homes because they believed in this lunatic so strongly. Then big surprise... nothing happened.

There is a difference between a cataclysmic event and a world ending event, if they claim the world is going to end, why are there all of these "Doomsday" believers preparing with full stock of food and supplies if we are supposedly getting wiped out anyway? Doomsday means everything and everyone gone, it's not like a nuclear bomb where there would be people on the outskirts that survived and there would be a need for survival.

The person above who said Y2K all over again hit the nail on the head, people should have learned their lessons then but it's just an ongoing cycle of stupidity. If the world ever ends, it will be by our own hands through pollution or nuclear warfare. Zombie outbreak or hostile alien invasion is always a possibility also :P

Considering we are the most intelligent species on the planet, some humans out there are just plain dumb. We will all wake up on the morning of December 21, and it will just be like any other normal day. What scares me the most is the drastic increase of firearm sales this year...

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#13 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

That about sums it up, look at how many people followed this religious nut that said the world was going to end last year. The man received MILLIONS of dollars in donations for the exodus he claimed was coming and it never did. There were billboards all around the nation, so many people believed it, and some went as far as selling their cars and homes because they believed in this lunatic so strongly. Then big surprise... nothing happened.

There is a difference between a cataclysmic event and a world ending event, if they claim the world is going to end, why are there all of these "Doomsday" believers preparing with full stock of food and supplies if we are supposedly getting wiped out anyway? Doomsday means everything and everyone gone, it's not like a nuclear bomb where there would be people on the outskirts that survived and there would be a need for survival.

The person above who said Y2K all over again hit the nail on the head, people should have learned their lessons then but it's just an ongoing cycle of stupidity. If the world ever ends, it will be by our own hands through pollution or nuclear warfare. Zombie outbreak or hostile alien invasion is always a possibility also :P

Considering we are the most intelligent species on the planet, some humans out there are just plain dumb. We will all wake up on the morning of December 21, and it will just be like any other normal day. What scares me the most is the drastic increase of firearm sales this year...

Yeah there were reports of people all over the place giving everything away, etc. People really believed that nut. Considering the same guy had like 3 failed "Predictions" in the past before that, I am surprised that many people bought it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the increasing sale in firearms. The majority of people who are contributing to the increase are just people who are worried about the government cracking down on the 2nd Amendment. I don't really take an increase in gun sales as more potential for terrorist activity or anything like that. People are scared right now, and feel the need to increase means of protecting themselves and their family, and rightfully so.

In addition, I think a lot of the "End of the world" or "Doomsday" preppers are mistaken for people who are not preparing for the end of the world, but civil unrest in the event of a natural disaster or economic metldown. Not sure though.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#14 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I could see preparing for the end of the world as we know it. (Ooh, too bad I played the song title game before reading this thread!)

I have enough food and litter for Drew for a very long time. I, on the other hand, could probably stand to lose a few pounds and could pee outside if necessary. Oh, wait... December in North Dakota. Never mind.

Que sera, sera. I'll worry about it if it happens.

#15 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the increasing sale in firearms. The majority of people who are contributing to the increase are just people who are worried about the government cracking down on the 2nd Amendment.

Thats obviously a pretty big part of it, we are experiencing kind of a "perfect storm" if you will this year. Firearm sales spike every year around spring and through the summer. The reason for the MUCH bigger spike than usual is due to the three main parts of the "perfect storm" coming together. You have the 2012 doomsday people. On top of that its an election year, with an extremely anti-gun adminitration possibly getting a second term in office. On top of that, you have an early spring this year, so the spring/summer spike started a couple months earlier than usual this year.

#16 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

My link

Here we go again. :lol:

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#17 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

End of world prophecies are not something to take seriously, unless it's part of one's profit model (products, tithes, etc.).

As far as the total count is concerned..

End of world prophecies: Countless
End of the world occurrences: Zero
For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Anyhow, always question the source's motives for creating such fear.

Edited by Shoreline, 11 May 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#18 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

How do we know the world hasn't already ended and just re-started?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users