Photo
- - - - -

Did Holland build a BMW instead of a Chevy?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hindsight of better/comparable players for each draft pick (I may have missed a few)

...yeah, I'm bored

97. Johan Franzen
127. Ryan Callahan (as much as I like the guy, you can't argue Franzen's playoff numbers...we should have had both :) )

128. Evan McGrath
134. Kris Versteeg
150. Mikhail Grabovski

Nothing too bad for the rest of the draft.

19. Jakub Kindl
21. Tuukka Rask
24. TJ Oshie
33. James Neal
35. Marc-Edouard Vlasic
41. Ondrej Pavelec

42. Justin Abdelkader

44. Paul Stastny (this one hurts)
51. Mason Raymond
62. Kristopher Letang (this too...)
72. Jonathan Quick
79. Cody Franson

80. Alex Rappold
85. Ben Bishop
87. Marc-Andre Gragnani
96. Chris Butler
101. Jared Boll

103. Mattias Ritola

105. Keith Yandle
108. Niklas Hjalmarsson

132. Darren Helm (perfect pick!)

137. Johan Ryno

142. Nathan Gerbe (I thought we were the ones to take chances on small players)

175. Juho Mielonen

190. Matt D'Agostini

214. Bretton Stamler

222. Kyle Cumiskey
230. Patric Hornqvist (last pick...Detroit style)

41. Cory Emmerton
44. Nikolai Kulemin
46. Jhonas Enroth

47. Shawn Matthias
50. Milan Lucic (maybe we'd trade him for Bertuzzi anyways)

62. Dick Axelsson

63. Jamie McBain
69. Steve Mason
71. Brad Marchand
72. Cal Clutterbuck

92. Daniel Larsson
99. James Reimer
112. Matt Beleskey
161. Viktor Stalberg

182. Jan Mursak
189. Derek Dorsett
196. Benn Ferriero

212. Logan Pyett
(third-to-last pick)

27. Brendan Smith
43. P.K. Subban (I prefer Smith though)

88. Joakim Andersson
97. Linus Omark
116. Keith Aulie
129. Jamie Benn

148. Randy Cameron
168. Carl Hagelin

178. Zach Torquato
194. Carl Gunnarsson

30. Thomas McCollum
31. Jacob Markstrom (ouch...one pick later)
38. Roman Josi
45. Zac Dalpe
51. Derek Stepan
60. Jimmy Hayes

91. Max Nicastro
93. Braden Holtby

121. Gustav Nyquist (looks like he has the best potential)

The picks from now on are too hard to tell.

32. Landon Ferraro
33. Ryan O'Reilly (really big loss here)
35. Kyle Clifford
46. Robin Lehner

60. Tomas Tatar (looks like a good pick)

Rest of the draft is too hard to tell. Need to wait a few more years. Same thing with 2010 and 2011 draft classes.

All in all, we've drafted pretty well since the lockout. Looking back, we've definitely passed on quite a few gritty players for skill players that never panned out though. But, you could just as easily look at it the other way for a lot of teams; they've passed on skilled players for gritty players that never make it to the show.

It's all a crapshoot. But, I like our stable with Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, etc.

Great list, but it really shows you more success than failure. Really O'Reilly, Lucic, and the Kindl for like five better choices is the only really bad bits. I mean Kindl for Letang would have been an epic improvement. Could you imagine if they traded down and got Neal and Letang with Abs?

You always have to remember any pick changes all the future picks though. Getting Letang might have caused us to pass on Smith. Who knows. I like our prospects, but there were some bad picks. Though show me the GM that gets them all right and I will show you a team that never loses.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#62 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

And its not just us that passed on Lucic, its 30 other teams as well...

Anyway, Holland has always said they draft skill over size because players can always get bigger, and if they're standing out as an undersized 17 year old that it says something about their compete level.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#63 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I got in this late, but this wasn't just 1 player, it's been 6.

Anyway, Holland has always said they draft skill over size because players can always get bigger, and if they're standing out as an undersized 17 year old that it says something about their compete level.

Teams in the 1970's drafted size over skill when the NHL was like the UFC.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#64 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

And its not just us that passed on Lucic, its 30 other teams as well...

While it's true that other GM's passed on Lucic, and nobody back then knew what potential he had - however GM's look for a certain "quality" in young players...It's why Holland, and Nill tend to draft smaller/skilled guys like Hudler over brutes like Lucic.

That undersized 17 yr old may do just fine in the Canadian Junior/NCAA/Euro leagues, but the NHL is a different story.

'Evolution' created by Offsides