• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

id be curious to see the fight. this is a bit off topic, but it seems callahan gets his s*** rocked alot in fights. i dont follow the griffs much but thats just what i see.

The other three fights I watched on youtube from his AHL fightcard he did much better. He's small but he's a tough sob, he can take hard shot and can dish em out as well.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#22 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

On topic, I'm excited to see how Sheahan plays. I don't expect him to put up big points, but hopefully he can develop into a solid NHL fourth liner. He seems to have all the skills for it.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what happens. It seems like he could go either way; just be a shut-down guy, or maybe he develops the offense too. I hope so!

#23 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

The Griffins need lots and lots more defense in their system. They're the highest scoring team in the league (I think? Or at least one of them) and they're not in a playoff spot. Yeah I know it's not about winning in the AHL but that the prospects get playing time but still, that's kind of embarrassing.

I'm curious to see how a PK would do with Andersson, Aubry (with one year of experience) and now Sheahan.

Ty proved that a big part of this is that the goaltending is just awful.

I mean, Pearce, MacDonald, and McCollum each have their own reason not to give 100% and it showed.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#24 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

My boy got rocked, but hopefully he learns from that fight.

Sheahan kinda reminds me of Franzen, they are roughly the same size and both did not produce much offense in their development stages, at least Franzen didn't, Sheahan still could. Franzen was known for his defense when he first came up and was pegged to be a 3rd/4th liner until he started scoring. Sheahan is also know for his defense and I think his floor is a shutdown 3rd line center. Perhaps he could become more like Franzen did? I just hope he doesn't become soft and a perimeter player like Franzen did.

Sheahan is going to be on the Wings much quicker than people think. He is a big body who can skate well and is know to be good defensively. He is already Physically ready and needs to refine his offense a bit and get the mental thing down. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he impresses with GR and has a strong training camp with the Wings he could surpass Emmerton as the 4th line center merely due to the fact the kid is big and can play defense. However, this would hinge on what happens in the summer and his development. I definitely see him as the 3rd or 4th line center in 2013-2014 season to begin with anyway.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Selleck is one of the toughest enforcers in the AHL people, Callahan is a rookie and small and he challenged one of the toughest in the league for a dirty hit. Good on him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

How good a skater is Sheahan? Just curious since its the most important attribute for a centre under Babcocks system.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

How good a skater is Sheahan? Just curious since its the most important attribute for a centre under Babcocks system.

I watched his first game and while he didnt seem to get a lot of icetime, while he was out there he looked like that was a pretty strong attribute. Not super fast but solid speed and strong on his feet

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#28 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I'm interested to see what happens. It seems like he could go either way; just be a shut-down guy, or maybe he develops the offense too. I hope so!

I'd be more than happy if he developed a scoring touch, but there isn't much evidence of it yet. With the Wings' weakness at the 4c position, I'm hoping he can develop quickly.

#29 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sheahan signed with Grand Rapids, not Detroit, so the Wings can't call him up at all this season. It seems like, as someone speculated in another thread, that they're keeping a contract spot open for free agent Danny DeKeyser from WMU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with Detroit as soon as Western's NCAA run is over.

#30 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

...and just like that, Western has lost and their season is over. Signing announcement coming soon??

#31 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

...and just like that, Western has lost and their season is over. Signing announcement coming soon??

Nope staying at Wastern.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#32 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Sheahan with a goal and a assist tonight :cool:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#33 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

He'll need some offensive-minded linemates to put up significant points but I'm fairly excited that he's turning pro.

#34 CapnSmitty

CapnSmitty

You and The Capn, make it happen!

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Riley played well last night, he was strong on the puck, had good hockey sense, and was even on the point for the number 1 pp unit... Overall I was impressed with his toughness and think he will be a good hard nosed player who will chip in offensively

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Riley played well last night, he was strong on the puck, had good hockey sense, and was even on the point for the number 1 pp unit... Overall I was impressed with his toughness and think he will be a good hard nosed player who will chip in offensively

Hes only just getting into the pro game so I dont expect him to be that physical yet, once he adjusts a bit more he should be playing more like he was at Notre Dame where he was definitely a physical guy. He hasnt thrownn many big hits but he is already VERY good along the boards against older, pro dmen. He also has had guys try to hit him and they just bounce off. He could be a physical force in the future.

I could actually see him being sort of like Bertuzzi is now. Bert is hard to get the puck off of down low, he will throw the odd big hit and can scrap when he needs to but hes no Milan Lucic. Sheahan in his prime should be a bit more physical and obviously miles ahead defensively but offensively I could see Sheahan putting up about 50 points and bring roughly the same physical game Bert brings now

RIP BOB PROBERT #24