• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff6851

So who could the Red Wings get in the offseason?

Rate this topic

I've never really followed hockey during the offseason and don't really know much about the salary cap rules.

Basically, if we got Parise, Semin, Suter all on a cap hit would that work out? Who would have to leave for that to work?

Semin has 18 goals this season. I'd rather keep Hudler...and I've never said that before.

I'd rather trade Zetterberg, Franzen, and anything else possible to get Ovechkin. Maybe he can become what he was in a different environment.

Edited by MibJab

one factor that makes this prediction so difficult is the new CBA agreement that must be reached AFTER the season finishes. If everything stays the same the cap will go up to 68-72 mill i have read. furthermore, if the cap system is changed somehow, we may not be able to afford certain players as a result. In all honesty, if the cap rises it makes it harder for us to land suter, praise because other teams will be willing to throw excessive contracts at them that we won't. If all stays the same we can fairly offer them around 7-7.5 mill each which not many other contending teams can beat without making major changes. however, if the cap rises to 68mill other teams can move a 2-3mill player and make offers for these guys. this is tough for the wings which will have to overpay these guys which will make it harder to re-sign all our other guys going forward. The possibility of a "contract re-neggotiation" in the new CBA would really turn this league on its head, as players getting inflated contracts that are un-movable due to stupid GMs will become available (ala rick nash) and we may see more trading occurring. We are in a good spot right now however, with really only two terrible contracts (Big E and Bert) and a large amount of cap going into the offseason. Lets just hope Kenny considers some new faces this summer and doesn't just re-sign hudler and homer.

I've never really followed hockey during the offseason and don't really know much about the salary cap rules.

Basically, if we got Parise, Semin, Suter all on a cap hit would that work out? Who would have to leave for that to work?

I am not 100% sure what you mean by 'all on a cap hit,' but no one will have to leave because that will never happen. It would be an absolute miracle (seriously - act of God) for the Wings to end up with even two out of those three players this offseason. I would certainly prefer Suter and Parise, but throwing Semin in really doesn't reduce the act of God necessity any. And, we should all be thrilled if they get one of them - again, see aforementioned preferences. This is 2012, not 2002.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by 'all on a cap hit,' but no one will have to leave because that will never happen. It would be an absolute miracle (seriously - act of God) for the Wings to end up with even two out of those three players this offseason. I would certainly prefer Suter and Parise, but throwing Semin in really doesn't reduce the act of God necessity any. And, we should all be thrilled if they get one of them - again, see aforementioned preferences. This is 2012, not 2002.

Yeah, there's too many teams that will go after these players.

If we have another early playoff exit and if Lidstrom retires, it'll be hard to convince anyone to come to an aging team that seems to be in transition. This isn't Hossa coming to the Wings in 2009 to win a Cup, just a season after Detroit won it all.

People here trash Franzen, then suggest Alexander freaking Semin? Really? Semin is softer, has fewer points, and makes way more money. I'll pass.

Suter would be great. As would Parise. It should be easy to make one work, but would be hard to make both work. However, as has been mentioned, there's a fair amount of uncertainty with regards to the CBA, so who knows.

Edited by Zetts

I hope we go all out for Parise, only knocks on him are he's another left-handed shot, has had a major injury in the past, and is not very big but his talent level and work ethic are both awesome and he's still young(will be 28 in the summer); assuming we let Hudler and Homer walk we should have enough $ to compete with all the other offers he's sure to get

only way we'd even try with Suter is if Lidstrom hangs 'em up, and even then it's unlikely

we have Ericsson, Kronwall, Smith, White, and Kindl all signed for next year and if we do indeed re-sign Quincey that's 6 already, and if Lidstrom does come back then all we would need is a little more depth

wouldn't want Semin unless he came real cheap and short-term, too many people have said the same thing about his crappy work-ethic/desire but I would be interested to see what Pavel could do for his numbers, but he'll still probably get a ridiculous offer from some GM based on past performances that we would scoff at

Semin is one of the last players I would want on this team, his work ethic sucks and he's not a player that we need or want. We need more answers not more problems.

Parise i'd love to see, but i'm not sure how realistic it is that he leaves the Devils, especially during this upcoming offseason. I've heard a ton of rumors about it but nothing concrete to give it credibility that Parise to the Wings is a real possibility.

Primarily, I think it will rely heavily on Lidstrom's decision on retirement. If he does, our chances of a huge addition like this are more likely.

All the talk on the board about bigger size and the only conversation here is more small snipers ?????

I dont play Fantasy hockey and Im no GM but what we need is a group of lower end guys to fill in the gaps. Guys like Smith with experience.

One guy doesnt make the team but betting the farm on one is a sure way to lose it.

This summer should be chock full of bottom line transactions. If I was Holland, instead of shopping at Neuman Marcus he should be shopping at Target (not Walmart). We have our prospects such as Smith and Nyquist. Go after some guys that fill the net front presence that Homer used to be. Find some bangers like LaPointe and McCarty. Get two like that with Abby and we have our enforcer line.

If Mursak and Helm could learn how to shoot on the fly, Id love to see them paired with Flip. That could be a pretty dangerous line. Two rockets with some toughness and an agile sniper is a pretty nice combo IMO.

As much as I love Miller I could see him leaving with Emmerton and Hudler a for a better combo. Im not the one to guess who but Im sure it can be worked out.

More or less, the bottom half of the team needs to be blown apart for more size, physical toughness and durability. I hate seeing our guys so injury prone due to our lack of available size matchups. Wathching Abby paired against guys like Clowe is just not going to work. I dont care how scrappy you are, you need to be able to push a man off the puck. If all you do is bother him while he pushes through you then what good are you?

Semin has 18 goals this season. I'd rather keep Hudler...and I've never said that before.

I'd rather trade Zetterberg, Franzen, and anything else possible to get Ovechkin. Maybe he can become what he was in a different environment.

Agree with you on Semin...everyone stop considering him...hes so talented but he just doesnt care...he will be in the KHL eventually if not soon. I think Semin is a bad influence on Ovie so maybe he could perform better in a different enviroment...but i think a lot of damage has already been done. Like Kolzig said...hes gotten wrapped up in this rockstar status of his and his head is no longer in the game. I dont want him here so we can spend all next season fixing his attitude/problems...plus i wouldnt make that trade anyway, and on top of it Ovies contract is ridiculously expensive.

All the talk on the board about bigger size and the only conversation here is more small snipers ?????

I dont play Fantasy hockey and Im no GM but what we need is a group of lower end guys to fill in the gaps. Guys like Smith with experience.

One guy doesnt make the team but betting the farm on one is a sure way to lose it.

This summer should be chock full of bottom line transactions. If I was Holland, instead of shopping at Neuman Marcus he should be shopping at Target (not Walmart). We have our prospects such as Smith and Nyquist. Go after some guys that fill the net front presence that Homer used to be. Find some bangers like LaPointe and McCarty. Get two like that with Abby and we have our enforcer line.

If Mursak and Helm could learn how to shoot on the fly, Id love to see them paired with Flip. That could be a pretty dangerous line. Two rockets with some toughness and an agile sniper is a pretty nice combo IMO.

As much as I love Miller I could see him leaving with Emmerton and Hudler a for a better combo. Im not the one to guess who but Im sure it can be worked out.

More or less, the bottom half of the team needs to be blown apart for more size, physical toughness and durability. I hate seeing our guys so injury prone due to our lack of available size matchups. Wathching Abby paired against guys like Clowe is just not going to work. I dont care how scrappy you are, you need to be able to push a man off the puck. If all you do is bother him while he pushes through you then what good are you?

I like your points. We need 2 things... size and toughness in the bottom six (at least one guy) and a scorer...maybe not even an allstar scorer but just somebody who can snipe...Dats, Z, and now even Val will make a mediocre scorer good...the wings are excellent at turning random players into very valuable players

last thing...im not considering Suter until we know for certain Stewie is leaving...With the Quincey addition our defense is tightttttt and Big Rig, Kindl, and Smith are only getting better....we should be looking for forwards until Brad makes a decision.

Had a little play on Capgeek.com and the situation I see it is this.

Assuming: Cap stays roughly the same. Hudler, Holmstrom and Stuart are not re-signed. Lidstrom, Abdelkader and Helm are re-signed for ~ $9M total, leaves us with ~ $7-8M in cap space to try and sign 1 big UFA (Weber or Parise).

If we want to sign Nash or Suter (RFA) we're going to need to clear another $7-8M in cap space, the easiest way being to trade Franzen and Ericson for one of them as part of package.

so...

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Shea Weber ($7.300m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.350m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,287,500; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,500

Pav needs a bona-fide sniper alongside him, whether it be Parise or Nash. Hossa and Shanahan had 40 goal seasons being fed by Pav, Hull had 30 and 37. 'nuff said.

Edited by Nev

A scorer, stud dman, and a few physical depth players with some size ...

Not that this pertains to this summer - but a juicy tidbit nonethless: A buddy of mine (whom I still train with in the offseason) who plays in the AHL and played on the Kelowna Rockets with Shea in his WHL days told me that Weber said last summer that if he hits free agency the team he would most like to go to would be Detroit.

...of course, summer 2013 is a long way off - and remaining a contender going forward will be a key part of making this team attractive for UFA's because the weather and the stereotypes surrounding the city certainly wont be the selling points.

Ugh...didn't the trade deadline just pass? Are we already going to start speculating on free agency now?

I started the thread to just get an idea of what would be possible since I'm not very good with the salary cap. I can't say I didn't see it going into free agent discussion but I didn't intend for it to happen

Would you rather talk about the teams awesome play as of late?

To tell the truth, yes, yes I would. Want to know why? Because at least the games we've played lately have actually happened. So I can say factual things about them and not have to speculate about who Kenny's going to sign, and for what money, and how they'd fit on the team. Which is all just made up gibberish, and it never pans out anyway. NOBODY on this board ever correctly guessed that the Wings would sign White, Commodore, or trade for Quincey. Not one person (including myself), for all the talking that took place. So all this speculation is just sort of like fantasy hockey...or masturbation.

Edited by kipwinger

Had a little play on Capgeek.com and the situation I see it is this.

Assuming: Cap stays roughly the same. Hudler, Holmstrom and Stuart are not re-signed. Lidstrom, Abdelkader and Helm are re-signed for ~ $9M total, leaves us with ~ $7-8M in cap space to try and sign 1 big UFA (Weber or Parise).

If we want to sign Nash or Suter (RFA) we're going to need to clear another $7-8M in cap space, the easiest way being to trade Franzen and Ericson for one of them as part of package.

so...

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Shea Weber ($7.300m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.350m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,287,500; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,500

Pav needs a bona-fide sniper alongside him, whether it be Parise or Nash. Hossa and Shanahan had 40 goal seasons being fed by Pav, Hull had 30 and 37. 'nuff said.

Ah yes a team without that lazydick Franzen.