• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

He is the all time leader scorer in the KHL...

Nope, with the KHL agreeing to let Radulov play in the NHL this season, he has to play in the KHL next season... So basically he is a playoff rental from overseas, which should not be allowed by the NHL, but Bettman is so desperate to have another one of his "Southern" teams win a Cup, he will allow almost anything...let the Wings try something like this...

He's also the only NHL-calibre forward to spend 4 years of his prime in the KHL.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I thought the NHL was trying to keep teams from hiding guys in the KHL and then bringing them in right before the playoffs. That's what makes this move by the league puzzling.

Sure they had a contract with him, but it's not like it has been counted against the cap, has it?

As much as people think the Wings get special treatment, I have to wonder if it being Nashville was a factor in their ruling. Helping a struggling franchise go deeper in the playoffs.

The league ruling is what it is I guess. Now it'll be interesting to see how he does. It's certainly a nice position for the Preds to be in though since they'e basically got nothing to lose.

They signed an agreement to make sure these events wouldn't happen again 4 days after he bolted.

I hate it, but the spirit of the rule doesn't really apply in Radulov's case.

Posted Image

#23 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I wonder if Radulov is familiar with what Kronwall had been up to since he left for the KHL

#24 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

It seems shady, but there is no difference in doing this or calling up any other black ace for the playoffs.
If he is on the 50 man roster and under a valid contract.
What needs to change is the way teams are allowed to "pause" contracts while players get to sign another in a different league.

Compensating teams for picks that leave while RFA seems like a better system than allowing the player to come and go as he feels.

As soon as Radulov left the Preds his contract should have been terminated and Nashville should have received a compensatory pick in the draft.
Meanwhile, Radulov would not be allowed to rejoin the NHL until he would become a UFA at 27.

That would have solved all of this mess and Nashville would have had a player likely ready to play by now.

Also, does anyone believe Huet is coming back to Chicago?
There needs to be a time limit or something for these contracts before they are required to be bought out.
Hiding a horrible contract in a different league is blatant cap manipulation and should be against the rules.

Ask NJD about cap manipulation, I wonder what coming season they are going to forfeit a 1st round pick because they attempted to sign Kovy to a legal contract at the time.
The worst part for them is that after all that, they haven't done good so now they have to pray they do good so they don't have to forfeit a top 1st round pick.

Blah...almost game time.

#25 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well they are dark horse to come out of the west. If you can even call them that anymore these days.

Posted Image

#26 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Most of the players on the team have never played with this guy.

Now someone is losing a roster spot over a player who's not even a true team player, who may not be back after the season.

I know it's a business, but I bet there's a lot of angry players in the Nashville locker room.

Same thing with Quincey when he was acquired at the deadline then? I bet there's a lot of angry players in the Detroit locker room.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

How his "return" game tonight is not on the full NBC network is beyond me.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

How his "return" game tonight is not on the full NBC network is beyond me.

i wish that tonights game was on nbc network,because i don't have nhl network and really want to watch the game

#29 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Not off to a good start. Down 2-0 in the first couple of minutes. Good for us, not so good for them.

#30 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Uh oh. Half of the game played and Radulov's -3 with 7:39 of ice time.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#31 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

He scores a goal to bring his +/- up to -2...

Off topic, but the more I see of Suter the less I would ever want him on the Wings. He makes some terrible decisions trying to defend guys who are entering the zone. We saw it first hand with the Z to Datsyuk goal, and I've noticed it several times since then.

Edited by SoupSnake, 22 March 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

No surprise here.

It's a +1 for the NHL and a corresponding -1 for the KHL. That's good business. And slapping neither the player nor the franchise on the wrist is good PR ("Look at us, we value our players, we treat them with people, we treat them like family"), which is good business.

Edited by Dabura, 22 March 2012 - 11:57 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

I just hope he tears them apart.

I also hope we end up in 6th. I don't want to ***** about them letting him play if he scores a gwg on us.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Same thing with Quincey when he was acquired at the deadline then? I bet there's a lot of angry players in the Detroit locker room.

Quincey got put on waivers and was picked up by LA. That's not the same as running to the money in the KHL when you're under contract in the NHL. Radulov bailed on his team in very much the same way Hudler did.

#35 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Quincey got put on waivers and was picked up by LA. That's not the same as running to the money in the KHL when you're under contract in the NHL. Radulov bailed on his team in very much the same way Hudler did.

I believe the point was that on any trade there was a roster spot given up - referring to the acquisition of Quincey, not the departure. We got rid of Commodore who was riding the pine anyway and brought in a #4-6 D. The guys below him on the updated lineup would "be pissed" because someone (Kindl) would be pushed out of the lineup on a consistent basis.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#36 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I believe the point was that on any trade there was a roster spot given up - referring to the acquisition of Quincey, not the departure. We got rid of Commodore who was riding the pine anyway and brought in a #4-6 D. The guys below him on the updated lineup would "be pissed" because someone (Kindl) would be pushed out of the lineup on a consistent basis.

This is what I meant.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

This is what I meant.

I get that. But with Radulov it's a little different because they're not losing a roster spot to a player brought in on trade. That happens a lot in the NHL and while it's got to be demoralizing, it's part of the business.

With Radulov's return, they're losing their roster spot to a guy who was under contract but ran to the KHL for more money until he felt like coming back. To me that's going to add some extra sting to losing your ice time.

#38 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I get that. But with Radulov it's a little different because they're not losing a roster spot to a player brought in on trade. That happens a lot in the NHL and while it's got to be demoralizing, it's part of the business.

With Radulov's return, they're losing their roster spot to a guy who was under contract but ran to the KHL for more money until he felt like coming back. To me that's going to add some extra sting to losing your ice time.

Also in the Quincy trade it was out of his hands. He didn't have a say in being traded to Tampa Bay and didn't have a say in subsequently traded to Detroit. Radulov on the other hand bolted of his on volition, let the team he ditched go through the grind of the first 70 games of the season and getting the Preds into a playoff position, and shows up playing the white knight (at least that has largely been the media's portrayal) to save the day and help the Preds advance through the playoffs.

Additionally, Quincy's being added to the Wings happened in the ordinary course of business while Radulov's did not. To me it is apples and oranges comparing the Quincy and Radulov, it would a much closer comparison to compare Radulov's actions to what Selanne did when he sat out a good portion of the season a few years ago contemplating retirement.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain