• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T.Low

Are Chicago fans not as bad as we thought?

Rate this topic

With Duncan Keith's blatant elbow to the head of Danrik(? I didn't pay attention to which twin) after he said something like that would happen, I had to listen to Vancouver's Team 1040 this morning.

Then I did some surfing and found this little chocolate donut on HF Boards: A poll on who is Chicago's best rivalry with now.

75% went with Vancouver. This is a copy of the very first reply in the thread.

Vancouver by miles. While Detroit is our more natural rival I have a great amount of respect for that organization. From the front office, coaches, and many of their players while they usually beat the hell out of the Hawks they always did it the right way. Yzerman, Listrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, are class players who I have tons of respect for. Even most of their fans have always been good when I have gone there.

The Canucks, are the most classess, D bag filled, piece of garbage team on the planet. Everything about them screams A holes. From their whining and moaning GM, we aren't getting any penalties. To their jackoff coach, to their twin sister team leaders, maybe you two faires should dive some more. To Burrows and his biting routine to Lapierre who is one of the biggest morons not only in sports but in human existence. To that oil slick manning the pipes acting like he is gods gift to man, maybe if you showed up in the clutch you would have won something ok greasy, even LeBron thinks you choke in the clutch. Even their self righteous idiot fans, go start another riot. This is the worst team in any sport on the planet in every aspect.

Edit:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1137469

Edited by T.Low

Well since I live in the Chicago area I know that they are in fact as bad, if not worse than we thought, though it is shifting back to only the people who play hockey giving a rats ass about the team and even then at their lowest a few years ago you couldn't even talk with all hockey players around here, some just didn't watch hockey, it is astonishing.

It's difficult to sift through the bandwagon fans and the true bleed-hockey type, when their team is "up and coming" or just made it to the top. Usually, though, it's the classless arrogant pricks that are bandwagoners, and they happen to devour much more media attention than the true fans; the humble folks who enjoy their team's success, but also show respect for the game, their opponents, and opposing fan bases. After all, every true fan has experienced their fair share of painful eras full of failure, and that stuff keeps you humble. Bandwagoners move on the moment adversity hits.

The individual who wrote the above paragraphs speaks the way a true fan would. Hell, he even recalled some bruisings done by the Wings during Chicago's darkest era. The gaggle of drunken idiots who belch out Detroit sucks at a Cup parade that had absolutely nothing to do with Detroit, even as an opponent are most certainly bandwagoners.

Any word on whether Keith has a meeting with Shanny coming up?

No official word yet, though Bob McKenzie figures he'll likely have a phone-call meeting, perhaps tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/182863148443893761

Since CHI doesn't play until Sunday, no urgency for Duncan Keith disciplinary hearing. Won't happen today, more likely something on Friday.

https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/182867980445691905

When Keith's disciplinary hearing is held, expected to be a phone hearing, so suspension, if levied, cannot exceed five games

I'm sure Keith will be sitting out a few games.

Apparently the elbow was a form of payback for when D.Sendin caught Keith admiring his own pass (earlier in the 1st period), and Keith got hammered along the boards in his own end of the ice (pretty clean hit - albeit a little late - caught Keith a bit high only 'cause Keith was leaning slightly forward).

What a puss. And what a pansy ass way of getting payback too.

sutton got 9 games for nothing, and yet this guy wont even get 6? hilarious

It was actually 8 games, but I can understand your point. No doubt Keith's elbow did more damage than Sutton's hit. But comparing the two side by side leaves out the fact that Sutton has run afoul of the NHL Discipline crew throughout his career.

Sutton got his latest suspension largely due to his repeat offender status (it was the 8th fine-or-suspension of his career). The official Shanaban ruling was that it was for charging, leaving his feet and (arguably) targeting Ponikarovsky's head on the hit. Duncan Keith is not a repeat offender, so it figures that any suspension he gets will be less than a guy who gets benched for 8 games a little over a month after getting benched for 5...

To be fair, the "phone only meeting" tweet is pure speculation on McKenzie's part. As there's no official word about any hearing at all yet, any guesses as to how long a suspension Keith will get are just that... Guesses...

As to the OP's point about the poster from HFBoards, yes that was a very rational view about the state of the rivalries between Chicago and Detroit, and Chicago and Vancouver. That said, one good post/poster does not indicate the overall view of their fansbase. And even if their fanbase views the Canucks rivalry as more intense and more hateful, it still doesn't change the vitriol that most Hawks fans spout against the Red Wings.

TSN.ca

As for Keith, the NHL has contacted the Blackhawks to indicate there's going to be a disciplinary hearing but the time has not been set and there isn't a big sense of urgency since Chicago doesn't play until Sunday. The NHL will want to get a full medical report on Sedin before proceeding.

It is likely that the hearing will be held over the phone, which means the suspension won't be more than five games. An in-person hearing would be required to suspend Keith for longer than five games.

Edited by P. Marlowe

With Duncan Keith's blatant elbow to the head of Danrik(? I didn't pay attention to which twin) after he said something like that would happen, I had to listen to Vancouver's Team 1040 this morning.

Then I did some surfing and found this little chocolate donut on HF Boards: A poll on who is Chicago's best rivalry with now.

75% went with Vancouver. This is a copy of the very first reply in the thread.

Vancouver by miles. While Detroit is our more natural rival I have a great amount of respect for that organization. From the front office, coaches, and many of their players while they usually beat the hell out of the Hawks they always did it the right way. Yzerman, Listrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, are class players who I have tons of respect for. Even most of their fans have always been good when I have gone there.

The Canucks, are the most classess, D bag filled, piece of garbage team on the planet. Everything about them screams A holes. From their whining and moaning GM, we aren't getting any penalties. To their jackoff coach, to their twin sister team leaders, maybe you two faires should dive some more. To Burrows and his biting routine to Lapierre who is one of the biggest morons not only in sports but in human existence. To that oil slick manning the pipes acting like he is gods gift to man, maybe if you showed up in the clutch you would have won something ok greasy, even LeBron thinks you choke in the clutch. Even their self righteous idiot fans, go start another riot. This is the worst team in any sport on the planet in every aspect.

Edit:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1137469

one thing's for sure...you can't describe the canucks better than that dude did.

As someone who goes to the United Center on a regular basis, yes they are huge douchebags.

They chanted "Detroit Sucks" at their Cup parade, when we didn't even play them in the playoffs.

Yeah, I'd say they're as bad as we thought.

They don't just do that at cup parades, they do it before the puck drops even when the Wings are not playing them.

I don't know what Chicago's problem is with Detroit. I swear they chant Detroit sucks at every game no matter who they play and even at concerts and s*** where its not even hockey related. They just seem to be really mad at us for some reason.

I live in Chicago. They're still pretty bad. That said, after the cup there were all of the sudden billions of Hawks "fans" lurking the streets. Now that its a few years removed, and their team is a shadow of the team that won the Cup, many have either moved on from the bandwagon or have actually learned a thing or two about hockey.

They are pretty bad/young/ignorant across the board. Curious to see how they react to whatever suspension Keith is gonna get. Dumb, dumb it, btw.

Its important to note that I am generalizing here. I have also had plenty of good experiences and conversations with Hawks fans, even when I'm decked out in Wings gear.

i think what a lot of you are missing here is perspective. every fan base has its jerks--even detroit does (my friend was heckled by other wings "fans" for carrying a wings player's stick). i remember right after the conference finals in '09 the hawks fan in front of me turned around and shook me hand, saying that it was a good game and good luck.

I don't know what Chicago's problem is with Detroit. I swear they chant Detroit sucks at every game no matter who they play and even at concerts and s*** where its not even hockey related. They just seem to be really mad at us for some reason.

Little brother syndrome and jealousy at the Red Wings success. Blues fans have come down with it too since their team is relevant again.