• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Needs to be said

Rate this topic

with a home and home against the blue jackets today and wednesday and then taking nashville head on on friday...the wings have every chance to pound columbus and take a 4 point game against the preds and roll their way into 4th place. this week will be huge for them if they win all 3 games, and i personally think if they take all 3, they'll end up snagging 4th.

Sometimes you have to root for them to lose so they can win.

I get what you're saying, but it would be taking the easy way out.

Id rather see the team go through the toughest road to victory than the easiest. Losing to win shows a lack of confidence and pride. Winning against the best is what makes the championship so satisfying.

As a Red Wings fan I would never root against the team for any reason. Be it tanking for draft picks or tanking for a favorable playoff matchup, both are equally cowardly in my opinion.

If they lose to Nashville in the first round, or god forbid Chicago. I don't want to hear any complaining. We can watch a Western Conference finals with two Central teams, neither are the Wings without any complaining. /sarcasm.

Screw this mentality. If the Wings thought like this, they would already be doomed. Win them all, I say. Get hot and it doesn't matter who they are playing or where, but even so, the who would be a less physical, less offensively scary Nashville team, and the where would be starting a series with home ice.

Are the prospects of continuing to play mediocre while starting a series on the road against either Dallas or San Jose really better than winning out and starting with home ice against either Chicago or Nashville? :blink:

No one here honestly thinks the Wings would be shooting for anything but the top seed they could possibly get, do they? The whole concept of sandbagging is the most un "Redwing" of things you could possibly bring up. We're not Pittsburg for Christ's sake!

They will play to win and look to beat whatever opponets they happen to draw. Hopefully with home ice for as long as we can get it. Have we even won any of the previous 4 cups or made the 6 finals having to play more then 1 series without the advantage of home ice?

Don't look now, but San Jose is in 3rd, likely to stay. Yes they've had an off season, but they've still had the Wings number. I'd no longer consider the 6th seed argument for a weaker opponent valid, and that's the only legs it was standing on. Now its the difference between getting hot, having home ice, having less travel or the opposite of those three.

Edited by b.shanafan14

if the Wings play in the playoffs the way they did last night against the Jackets, they'll have a shot at winning the cup. and yes, SJ is up in 3rd now and will hopefully get tossed by the 6th place team if they stay there. i'd personally like to see dallas get back up there and if SJ makes the playoffs, they can struggle in the bottom 4.

it would be sweet to see the Sharts finish 9th, 1 point back...just a cynical thought.

if the Wings play in the playoffs the way they did last night against the Jackets, they'll have a shot at winning the cup. and yes, SJ is up in 3rd now and will hopefully get tossed by the 6th place team if they stay there. i'd personally like to see dallas get back up there and if SJ makes the playoffs, they can struggle in the bottom 4.

it would be sweet to see the Sharts finish 9th, 1 point back...just a cynical thought.

I think Wings nation would collectively kill themselves if they had to play the Sharks first round and the Sharks have home ice. Heck, that would be a travel nightmare too. Nashville would mean that at least the travel would be easier.

I think Wings nation would collectively kill themselves if they had to play the Sharks first round and the Sharks have home ice. Heck, that would be a travel nightmare too. Nashville would mean that at least the travel would be easier.

Nothing really scares me about this year's SJ Sharks unless you believe in the boogy man and that they have some sort of voodoo spell over us. If we did have to meet them, I'm pretty confident that we could get the job done this year, 1st or 2nd round. Only :thumbdown: is the travel but that's moot if we take care of them in 4 :cool: .

Nothing really scares me about this year's SJ Sharks unless you believe in the boogy man and that they have some sort of voodoo spell over us. If we did have to meet them, I'm pretty confident that we could get the job done this year, 1st or 2nd round. Only :thumbdown: is the travel but that's moot if we take care of them in 4 :cool: .

I agree with you, but many Wings fans have this fear of them after getting knocked out by them in the last two playoffs. Heck Colorado gave us our fits back in 1996 and then again in 1997 in the regular season before the brawl and the playoffs when we beat them 4-2. Seems that these things go in cycles. :)

Some teams just matchup better with others. Even having a down regular season, I still think the Sharks would give the Red Wings fits in the first round. That's not a series I want any part of between the travel and the history of the past two meetings.

San Jose plays a very similar game/style to the Red Wings and for whatever reason, they have done it better head-to-head lately. The 1-2-1 record against the Sharks this season is just another indicator that the Sharks have the Red Wings number. With Havlat healthy again, their top six is as good as any in the league. They have the size and speed combination to forecheck hard and that has given the Red Wings all kinds of trouble before. Niemi has been their weak link compared to obviously a potential series with someone like Rinne instead.

I look at the Sharks as a team that if they just find a way into the playoffs, they could turn out to be very dangerous. I don't think they are destined to win the West, but I would rather Chicago deal with them in the first round and get one of those two out of the playoffs immediately.

I guess with the West being as strong as it is, you can come up with pros/cons of any potential opponent. I still strongly prefer the Red Wings to finish 4th and get home ice advantage in the first round. They are a different team at the Joe and with a tough draw likely looming against Nashville, that extra game on home ice could be the deciding factor.

Edited by GoWings1905

I agree with you, but many Wings fans have this fear of them after getting knocked out by them in the last two playoffs. Heck Colorado gave us our fits back in 1996 and then again in 1997 in the regular season before the brawl and the playoffs when we beat them 4-2. Seems that these things go in cycles. :)

Bad example really. Colorado beat us in 1999 and 2000 (we didn't have to go through them in 98). Thank God for Ilitch giving out cash to Hasek, Hull and Robitaille to put us over the top in 2002.

However, we haven't done anything in the offseason to improve our chances against San Jose. They made a few changes in the offseason to their roster, but we still had a hard time against them this regular season. I don't fancy our chances in that series. Just seems to be a bad matchup for Detroit. And if I'm not mistaken, they'd get home ice over us just because they finished as a higher seed. So we'd have to travel for the first two games again.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Last night or the current standings shows exactly why wishing or choosing your teams isn't necessary.

I get the 6th argument, I get they've played well against the Stars this year, I get the Sharks are probably not the Sharks of the past two years, but you can easily flip the other side of the coin and say the Sharks still have the Red Wings number in the postseason (and yes you can just as easily say they nearly blew a 3-0 series lead last year etc.).

You play who you are going to play. Throwing games just to get a possible favorable matchup when that matchup isn't a guarnatee is silly.

And given how the Wings have been so dominant at home when healthy, I'd think finishing 1st or likely/hopefully 4th in this case is pretty darn important.

Just win and win as much as possible is the simple motto here.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=39245

For those watching the standings every day (like I know we all are) TSN.ca has the above Stretch Drive standings page. It allows you to see not only where each team sits, but also who their remaining games are against, as well as which are home or away.

It would not be good if Wings finish 6th cause they are legit ally 4th now and if they play San Jose they are f***ed. They are only western Season they lost to (3-1 for sharks) and last year wings played a crap team in first round and had a long break and they played poorly there first games against sharks. If they play Preds or Hawks they will probably win and get a good series out of it. And they would have to finish season off s***ty to finish 6th.

I don't think it's going to matter once the playoffs start, it's a completely different monster. Whatever team wants it the most is going to take it, regardless of who we face in the first round both teams will be playing to win and it's anyone's game. We are fans of a sport where the lower seed knocking out the higher seed isn't all that uncommon, the playoffs are unpredictable so i'm just leaving it in the hands of the hockey gods and continue to cheer on my boys in the meantime.

Not too concerned about any team in particular, and I'm too superstitious to pick poison for the team.

I will say, however, that a series against Nashville will probably be a snorefest, one way or the other. No matter how good that team gets I just find all the games against them dull.

The West seems more diluted this year compared to the past decade or so. I'm not overwhelmed by any team over here, Vancouver and Detroit included. I can see any seed getting to the Finals this year, and frankly I think every seed has about an equal chance of getting there.