• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

F*** this. We're only 6 points behind St. Louis and still play them once. Crazier things have happened.

Exactly! We can still catch St Louis, not to mention the Blues have struggled as of late, as has Nashville. Chicago is the team right now that is HOT! I really feel now that this team is getting healthy can make a run at the Blues and I am sick and tired of people saying we cannot make this happen. I totally understand where the OP is coming from, but a 6th seed will only hurt later on, lets face it, this team even healthy is not good on the road.

#22 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'd rather just see the Wings do what they can do. I said it in July when we did all of our signing of players that I just wasn't impressed with. I really don't see this team going very far and I don't see this team being a Stanley Cup Championship Team. I hope I'm wrong and I still have high hopes for this team but not high expectations. I'm at point where I'd rather see the Wings get some new blood in the line-up with bringing up players from GR and bringing in some big name players to help us out. This team has been one of te wort teams I've seen on the Power Play and while I know we can't have a #1 Power Play every year it would be nice to at least have a top 10 Power Play. You don't go far in the playoffs if you can't run your special teams well, so it really doesn't matter where we finish the regular season and who we play in the playoffs what happens happens and the Wings will have to be ALOT better in the playoffs to go deep.

#23 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Regardless of what happens, I am NOT afraid of SJ this year. They are not the SJ of last year. I'd hate the travel in round 1 though.

So, hypothetically, if Nashville overtakes us and we end up in 5th, don't you think it would be prudent to drop to 6th if possible.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 25 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#24 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

I've heard the argument that if you don't win your division, finishing 6th in the Conference is the best spot to be in, because you take on the weakest of the division winners.

However, I think with all our players coming back from injury, we'll hold on to 4th.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

The sixth versus fourth place debate essentially revolves around whether or not you think the team is better served facing an easier opponent or playing at home in the first round. It's pretty hard to calculate either way. But the lower seed could be problematic after the first round don't you think?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I can see either side of this argument.

In one sense, we've seen the Wings lose in the first round to many teams we thought they'd walk over.

At the same time, I really don't want to see us play Chicago in the first round. That would be too stressful and too crazy for so early in the playoffs. And their annoying fans will come here to talk crap.

We'll just send Mindfly to their boards to raise some hell.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

ppl,

We don't want sixth. Not if we want the Wings to win the Cup.

srsly

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

with a home and home against the blue jackets today and wednesday and then taking nashville head on on friday...the wings have every chance to pound columbus and take a 4 point game against the preds and roll their way into 4th place. this week will be huge for them if they win all 3 games, and i personally think if they take all 3, they'll end up snagging 4th.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#29 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

If they lose to Nashville in the first round, or god forbid Chicago. I don't want to hear any complaining. We can watch a Western Conference finals with two Central teams, neither are the Wings without any complaining. /sarcasm.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#30 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Sometimes you have to root for them to lose so they can win.

I get what you're saying, but it would be taking the easy way out.

Id rather see the team go through the toughest road to victory than the easiest. Losing to win shows a lack of confidence and pride. Winning against the best is what makes the championship so satisfying.

As a Red Wings fan I would never root against the team for any reason. Be it tanking for draft picks or tanking for a favorable playoff matchup, both are equally cowardly in my opinion.

#31 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

If they lose to Nashville in the first round, or god forbid Chicago. I don't want to hear any complaining. We can watch a Western Conference finals with two Central teams, neither are the Wings without any complaining. /sarcasm.

Screw this mentality. If the Wings thought like this, they would already be doomed. Win them all, I say. Get hot and it doesn't matter who they are playing or where, but even so, the who would be a less physical, less offensively scary Nashville team, and the where would be starting a series with home ice.

Are the prospects of continuing to play mediocre while starting a series on the road against either Dallas or San Jose really better than winning out and starting with home ice against either Chicago or Nashville? :blink:

#32 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Who said anything about giving up on the cup?!?!? I never said to give up on the cup... I just said lose 4 games and get an easier path.

There is no easy path in the West.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Can we still play Columbus in the first round?

^_^
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

At this point:

1st choice - 4th
2nd choice - 6th
3rd choice - 5th

So in short, try your best to win every game but if you're sitting in 5th, just try your best to rest Lids, Dats, Z in the last few games *wink wink* :cool:

#35 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

No one here honestly thinks the Wings would be shooting for anything but the top seed they could possibly get, do they? The whole concept of sandbagging is the most un "Redwing" of things you could possibly bring up. We're not Pittsburg for Christ's sake!

They will play to win and look to beat whatever opponets they happen to draw. Hopefully with home ice for as long as we can get it. Have we even won any of the previous 4 cups or made the 6 finals having to play more then 1 series without the advantage of home ice?
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#36 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Can we still play Columbus in the first round?

^_^

the only way the wings could still play the blue jackets in the first round, is put the blue jacket players in preds jerseysPosted Image

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

"The Wings would love to face one of the weaker playoff teams. But it is more important for their opponent to face one of the strongest ones."

http://www.freep.com...0/1053/sports05

Bang on.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Don't look now, but San Jose is in 3rd, likely to stay. Yes they've had an off season, but they've still had the Wings number. I'd no longer consider the 6th seed argument for a weaker opponent valid, and that's the only legs it was standing on. Now its the difference between getting hot, having home ice, having less travel or the opposite of those three.

Edited by b.shanafan14, 27 March 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

if the Wings play in the playoffs the way they did last night against the Jackets, they'll have a shot at winning the cup. and yes, SJ is up in 3rd now and will hopefully get tossed by the 6th place team if they stay there. i'd personally like to see dallas get back up there and if SJ makes the playoffs, they can struggle in the bottom 4.

it would be sweet to see the Sharts finish 9th, 1 point back...just a cynical thought.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

if the Wings play in the playoffs the way they did last night against the Jackets, they'll have a shot at winning the cup. and yes, SJ is up in 3rd now and will hopefully get tossed by the 6th place team if they stay there. i'd personally like to see dallas get back up there and if SJ makes the playoffs, they can struggle in the bottom 4.

it would be sweet to see the Sharts finish 9th, 1 point back...just a cynical thought.

I think Wings nation would collectively kill themselves if they had to play the Sharks first round and the Sharks have home ice. Heck, that would be a travel nightmare too. Nashville would mean that at least the travel would be easier.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain