• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Icesurfer

Brendan Smith sent back to Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

Smith's emergence could lead to tough decisions

As long as Bendan Smith remembers he is paid to play defense first he will be just fine. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake Ericsson did last year. Smith did get caught out of position occasionally but he was able to recover a few times. Ericsson made that mistake last year and this year he has been much improved.... and Ericsson is one the reasons why the GAA has fallen... but the whole defense has taken the defense first approach... up until the streak ended. Ericcson and Smith both started out like wild stallions on the ice trying to prove how much they can do. I know fans just absolutely love when a defensmen can rush up the ice and score a goal.... and that is all fine and dandy but in order for a defensemen to play the game the right way it is defense first. They must be intelligent enough to read the play and know when to join the rush or step up. The NHL plays at a different speed than the AHL. It is a learning curve and it will happen in time. Lidstrom and Kronwall are the best in the business in reading plays. Smith will learn a lot from them.

I thought Kindl was way better last night..hopefully he can keep it up. As far as I know Smith has to be sent down because with E coming back we have too many guys and I would assume that Kindl and Ericsson would both have to pass through waivers to get sent down and then come back up. Smith to me is clearly the best out of the 3 and once there is no roster limits he will be back up for the playoffs. Having a wealth of healthy NHL ready d men come playoff time is a great thing to have even if you arent fans of all of them.

There are no roster limits, but this is a pure senority move typical of the Red Wings, so instead of letting Smith it in the press box Holland sent him down to keep him playing although Smith should be playing here above Kindl due to him be far better. In my opinion Jakub Kindl was the worst first round pick by Detroit since Kory Kocur.

Edited by LeftWinger

There are no roster limits, but this is a pure senority move typical of the Red Wings, so instead of letting Smith it in the press box Holland sent him down to keep him playing although Smith should be playing here above Kindl due to him be far better. In my opinion Jakub Kindl was the worst first round pick by Detroit since Kory Kocur.

I agree but screw seniority. Kindl hasn't done anything to warrant being in the lineup so it should be him in the press box.

Smith played mostly with Doug freakin Janik and excelled, Smith and Quincey is better than Quincey/Kindl/Ericsson. Holland's gotta stop being afraid to hurt guys feelings, this is a business and he should do whatever to make this team better. Babcock even said he wanted Smith in the lineup all year long..

Smith brings more to the table right now... but by no means does he make our defense better than with Kindl and E. He does have better speed which can make up for mistakes, but he needs to get better. While I rather see him do it now by playing in Detroit, it does make more sense to leave him in the minors next year and get Suter.

I agree but screw seniority. Kindl hasn't done anything to warrant being in the lineup so it should be him in the press box.

Smith played mostly with Doug freakin Janik and excelled, Smith and Quincey is better than Quincey/Kindl/Ericsson. Holland's gotta stop being afraid to hurt guys feelings, this is a business and he should do whatever to make this team better. Babcock even said he wanted Smith in the lineup all year long..

Exactly, funny I got negged for saying Smith should be playing over Kindl, and you got a plus...Maybe the guy who negged me was totally in love with Kory Kocur or something.... But ya, Smith needs to be here and playing, Kindl is just not as good. Pure seniority move by Holland...

Smith brings more to the table right now... but by no means does he make our defense better than with Kindl and E. He does have better speed which can make up for mistakes, but he needs to get better. While I rather see him do it now by playing in Detroit, it does make more sense to leave him in the minors next year and get Suter.

I'd be extremely disappointed if Smith spent next season in the minors. Even if they picked up someone like Suter, they should get rid of Kindl and bring Smith up. Kindl's not awful, but he certainly hasn't distinguished himself. And Q and Smith provide better versions of what Kindl is supposed to bring.

Basically, next year Detroit will pay 3.5 million to Ericsson, who'll likely be sitting in the pressbox a lot.

Thanks for that Kenny.

I blame the market for that contract.

Exactly, funny I got negged for saying Smith should be playing over Kindl, and you got a plus...Maybe the guy who negged me was totally in love with Kory Kocur or something.... But ya, Smith needs to be here and playing, Kindl is just not as good. Pure seniority move by Holland...

Dude you got a negative stalker!

I'd be extremely disappointed if Smith spent next season in the minors. Even if they picked up someone like Suter, they should get rid of Kindl and bring Smith up. Kindl's not awful, but he certainly hasn't distinguished himself. And Q and Smith provide better versions of what Kindl is supposed to bring.

IMHO, pairing Smith up with a veteran is really the best option. He needs to get into the NHL game and learn. What he doesn't need are 3rd line minutes. He should be getting 2nd line minutes.

Kindl is better than Curtis Bowen, Maxim Kusnetsov, Jesse Wallin and Yan Golubovsky

Edited by heikks86

Well this sucks but I knew it was coming. To bad Kenny is deciding to make our defense weaker since Smith is far better than Ericsson and Kindl at both end of the rink.

They are just both so terrible and painful to watch.

Smith is better offensively than both Ericsson and Kindl, but he is most definitely NOT better defensively than either player, or anyone else on that side of the bench. The kid has a lot of talent and he sees the ice phenomenally, but he's also underestimated the speed of oncoming forwards and has been beaten plenty of times in his short stint up. He has a lot to learn and a lot to get accustom to before he is equal defensively to either Kindl or Ericsson. I'm not saying he doesn't have that potential, but if we need to preserve a one goal lead late in the third, I'm sending any defenseman out there before Smith. In two years that will likely change. But not today.

I'm not thrilled with sending him down. However I believe what was said above is true. We really don't want to lose E or Kindl to waivers. Plus letting Smith get first pair minutes in GR isn't terrible to keep him going until playoff time when he may be needed. I do not agree with Smith being in GR next year on any level however.

Smith was sent down to GR so that he could keep playing, and at the same time, allowing Kindl and Ericsson the ice time that they need to get their legs and timing back before the playoffs.

Sending Smith down was nothing more than a move to make sure that all of the D are ready to go when the playoffs start. Smith will be back for the playoffs; it's just a matter of whom Smith replaces between E and Kindl IMHO.

Except the other guy made a valid point. You just bitched and whined.

Smith is better offensively than both Ericsson and Kindl, but he is most definitely NOT better defensively than either player, or anyone else on that side of the bench. The kid has a lot of talent and he sees the ice phenomenally, but he's also underestimated the speed of oncoming forwards and has been beaten plenty of times in his short stint up. He has a lot to learn and a lot to get accustom to before he is equal defensively to either Kindl or Ericsson. I'm not saying he doesn't have that potential, but if we need to preserve a one goal lead late in the third, I'm sending any defenseman out there before Smith. In two years that will likely change. But not today.

Ericcson can PK but I dont think Kindl has separated himself from Smith much at all defensively. You also have to remember that he only played a small sample of games and the first three or four alone were him trying to adjust to the game speed. I do think Ericcson has a defensive edge but Kindl has done nothing to show me he would be much better defensively over a full season.

Either way, the offense and physical edge Smith brings is much better than both and I think he should be in the lineup over Kindl easily

I think Babcock is right, Smith should have been up with Detroit all year. Even if it meant not bringing back Ericsson, or at least not signing Commodore. Having Smith play 60 games paired with Lidstrom, especially on power play and penalty kill situations, would have been absolutely invaluable. If Lidstrom retires this summer, or if for some reason Holland banishes Smith in Grand Rapids again next year, that chance will have been lost forever.

Smith will be up next season. I'm pretty certain. I can see Holland wanting to get Kindl and Ericsson some time to prove themselves before the offseason and he makes his decision for what to do with the defence. I think that this is just Holland giving guys another look and deciding who he will keep and who he will sell when the time comes to make decisions. We don't know if lids will be back and we don't know if holland will take a run at suter, but Kindl's trade value will be nothing if he doesn't come back from injury and play for the wings before being put on the market possibly this summer. Smith can wait just a little longer.

I think Babcock is right, Smith should have been up with Detroit all year. Even if it meant not bringing back Ericsson, or at least not signing Commodore. Having Smith play 60 games paired with Lidstrom, especially on power play and penalty kill situations, would have been absolutely invaluable. If Lidstrom retires this summer, or if for some reason Holland banishes Smith in Grand Rapids again next year, that chance will have been lost forever.

I agree, but I think that's one of those hindsight 20/20 things. Smith is ready, but in the off season we weren't sure.

I have no problem sending him back to GR to play big minutes and for him return when the play-offs start. I would however be extremely disappointed if he won't make the Red Wings roster next season. I don't think there is much for him to learn in the AHL anymore, he should play on NHL-level fulltime, preferably learn as much as possible from Lidstrom.